Very solid review of TESO as well as....

Sennex

.... a detailed reason not to play the game

Isarii is/was a very active member of Tamriel Foundry and longtime beta tester. Last month, he wrote a detailed review of the game, and even more recently, he submitted a "farewell" post on his blog.

While he may come of as slightly bitter in some areas, he has reasonable and valid opinions about the game. It also shows the tricky position Zenimax is in, because it's so incredibly difficult to please both the TES and MMORPG crowd.

Warning: this shit is long, like it took me a large portion of the morning to go over. Its a really solid writeup, and I found myself agreeing with most of it.

http://tamrielfoundry.com/2014/02/eso-isariis-comprehensive-review/

However, this points out why I won't be playing TESO in much better terms and with far more experience than I have in playing the game so far:

http://errantpenman.wordpress.com/2014/03/22/a-farewell-to-teso/

Also, the Author just posted this on the forum that I found this, he clarifies some points:

Author here. I noticed I was getting some traffic from this sub, and I wanted to jump in and address a few things that are commonly brought up, as this sub is generally pretty civil and I enjoy talking with you.

The first is to keep in mind that if at any point during the read, you thought to yourself, "who the fuck is this guy", then you simply aren't my target audience. I posted this to my personal Twitter, my guild forums, and on the off-topic forum of Tamriel Foundry, the site I have helped to run for the last year. As I said in the article, I wrote this for the people who would question my absence, and to save myself a lot of trouble explaining it to them in the future. While you may find value in what I've written, this was not written as a review or to provide knowledge to people I do not personally know.

/u/electricblues42 [-1] touched on a few common misconceptions of the nature of beta testing. For one, while the general public only has access to the weekend tests, the core group has been playing on servers that are always online for several months. In that respect, yes, I absolutely have seen almost everything that is in the game (though I am in middle VR ranks and not VR10 as some have said). If this post was coming from a weekend tester, then I would probably agree with you.

Another common, and I think valid complaint is that I chose to mention bugs as a complaint in a beta. I would like to reiterate that in this portion, I was referring to their ability to bug fix, and that there are still so many in the last patch that was deployed a week before launch (which I imagine is the launch build). Many who have tested previous games will remember the fate of MMOs which neglected to fix their bugs, and I fear that ESO may be headed down the same path.

This focus on the future is only natural from my perspective. I have seen what the game currently has to offer, and really, it's not that bad. As I said in my post, I think a great many people will find a lot of enjoyment from what the game currently has to offer. However, I have already seen that content, so for me to drop money on the game, I have to be convinced that TESO has what it take to survive in the market as a long-term MMORPG. I want to think that it does, but based on my extensive beta testing experience with TESO and experience with the MMO market in general, I really don't think it will.

And that's what it came down to. Do I stay with the game and get burned by another MMO, even when I see it coming, or do I cut my losses and avoid spending money on a game I have no faith in? I chose to play it cautious, for once.

I do think that a large portion of gamers will enjoy this mmo.

I can see where folks will go nuts over it, I just won't be one of them, Single player Skyrim, heavily modded, is where I will be

(Or the Remakes of Oblivion and Morrowind, using Skyrims engine WOOOOOO)

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

.... a detailed reason not to play the game

I do think that a large portion of gamers will enjoy this mmo.

I can see where folks will go nuts over it, I just won't be one of them, Single player Skyrim, heavily modded, is where I will be

(Or the Remakes of Oblivion and Morrowind, using Skyrims engine WOOOOOO)

Skywind looks like it could be pretty awesome! 

5abdbe250c715_RespectAll-FearNone.png.9bc1a4f0d1cdab1c7e67e48baf8275b4.png.63941b93d8c1d7bc3f9ca9f365076c45.png