Streaming Options

Lurchzy

Looking into streaming/ recording some videos of Playstation 2 games. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on equipment I should look into purchasing?

I'm completely new to this stuff. I have a capable laptop, playstation 2 and a decent monitor. Just need to know what else I need to get started.

Thanks for any help in advance.

1 hour ago, James5497 said:

Looking into streaming/ recording some videos of Playstation 2 games. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on equipment I should look into purchasing?

I'm completely new to this stuff. I have a capable laptop, playstation 2 and a decent monitor. Just need to know what else I need to get started.

Thanks for any help in advance.

You will need a capture card, anything before PS4 doesn't have the processing power. 

On PS4 you can stream through a PC without one. 

Most common and popular are Elgato, probably cheaper ones on the market. 

Not sure about TVs and monitors, I'm sure the PS2 doesn't like HDMI, maybe a converter cable if your running a newer TV. 

Possibly some sort of software program depending on if your editing videos at all. 

I'm not an expert and have little to no experience, but I'm sure you will need some of these things. 

1 minute ago, IRaMPaGe said:

You will need a capture card, anything before PS4 doesn't have the processing power. 

On PS4 you can stream through a PC without one. 

Most common and popular are Elgato, probably cheaper ones on the market. 

Not sure about TVs and monitors, I'm sure the PS2 doesn't like HDMI, maybe a converter cable if your running a newer TV. 

Possibly some sort of software program depending on if your editing videos at all. 

I'm not an expert and have little to no experience, but I'm sure you will need some of these things. 

Thanks @IRaMPaGe I'll take a look at some capture cards this weekend. I'm hoping it's not too difficult to set-up.

I purchased a HDMI converter and a HDMI splitter so I can have both my PS4 and PS2 plugged into my monitor at the same time. However I seem to have green dots all over the screen now so it mustn't be plugged in properly somewhere.

I have not clue on software but I'm sure I'll be able to do some editing free online somehow. I'll have to see.

1 minute ago, James5497 said:

Thanks @IRaMPaGe I'll take a look at some capture cards this weekend. I'm hoping it's not too difficult to set-up.

I purchased a HDMI converter and a HDMI splitter so I can have both my PS4 and PS2 plugged into my monitor at the same time. However I seem to have green dots all over the screen now so it mustn't be plugged in properly somewhere.

I have not clue on software but I'm sure I'll be able to do some editing free online somehow. I'll have to see.

Yeah it's definitely trial and error, probably loads of YT vids of people using or capturing etc. 

Sounds like you have most things, you can probably get trial versions of software and cancel or that and switch between a few. 

Capture Card is the way to go - I have an Elgato HD60 one which you can take anywhere rather than an internal one to put into your PC. You also need an HDMI Upscaler. How I would do it is:

PS2 RCA Cable > HDMI Upscaler > Capture Card > PC (I think that's right).

A HDMI Splitter may impact the performance of the picture and how the game plays if you add that in but I appreciate you could use that from the Capture Card to PC and TV if that works.

We can have a few weekends where we both give the setup a go to see what works best. If you're recording that should be enough but I must admit the hardest part for me was to get my head around OBS for streaming. So many accidents can happen if you select the wrong input for picture, sound, etc. Probably helps you aren't in an online party as that's another thing that to consider depending on what voices you want to include.

Forum Signature Test.png