Modern Warfare III
Posted

As ever with CoD the hit detection is meh.  Dying to what feels, and weirdly occasionally sounds like, a sniper shot but seeing the kill cam and it shows you getting hot 4 or 5 times.  Yet other games, going on a spree knowing the enemy team are probably at the end of the horrible deaths.

That said overall, I enjoyed what I played last night and great to be playing the old maps again.  The new unlock system is weird in that it doesn’t really tell you what to do or how to do it - in that it says complete 3 daily challenges to unlock.  Which I unlocked but as far as I can tell I didn’t complete any daily challenges so I dunno.  But I like the system in general, being able to unlock the perks, greades, kill streaks etc. you want rather than just grinding levels unlocking loads of stuff you’re not going to use to get to the stuff you want.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

On 8/21/2023 at 2:29 PM, Greboth said:

But I think I'm track to have plats finished by MW3.

Well that was a bit of understatement as I realised last night I'm halfway through Polyatomic now with 25/51 done.

I probably could have finished all Polyatomic's by now but slowed down as, while unlocking Polyatomic, I've been making sure I've completed the gold and platinum mastery challenges too.  So I've unlocked Polyatomic on guns but carried on using them to get another 100-200 kills with it.  I haven't done the Polyatomic mastery though as I figure I'll do that when I go for Orion.

MW3 beta first impressions
Posted

Sadly only managed about an hour on the beta so will have to give it a better go in the upcoming beta dates.  Though I didn’t see anything to make me not want to get it.  It’s certainly good to have the old maps back.

A couple of things though, I can see the breacher drone getting nerfed as it’s quite OP at times.  It also seems there’s some description missing on some things as it took a few minutes to figure out why I didn’t have a lethal grenade until I figure out the vest changes it.  I assume one of the other vest gives overkill too but hard to know as they don’t say it.

Event and M13C
Posted
9 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I didn't even get round to looking at this yet. Is the event still up and doable?

I didn't either but as I pre-ordered MW3, I got the blueprint version unlocked anyway.  Assuming it unlocks from blueprint variants too, I can drop it in DMZ if you want it.

Who's getting MW3? (pre beta)
Posted

Personally, I've pre-ordered already.  MW2019 and MW2(022) have both been good and changes are being made for MW3 but don't see a great deal changing.  I've put enough hours in to MW2 to get my money's worth so happy to pre-order.

Modern Warfare III
Posted
1 hour ago, Lurchzy said:

Why does Sony PlayStation have early access if Microsoft own Blizzard?

Simple - $, or probably more accurately, $$$$$$$$$

Sony have previously paid for special access or content to come to PS before Xbox.  So it could be that contract, which may have been signed before MS bought Activision, is still in effect.  Or potentially MS don't care about PS having content first - the console war really happens in the early years of a generation so by now it's relatively settled not to mention consoles are, or were for a long time, sold at a loss with money being in the games.  MS gets the billions a year from the game either way so don't care too much about shifting less consoles.

That depends what exact question you’re asking.

Are longshots easier in hardcore? most definitely.

Are platinum challenges easier in hardcore? not always.

The amount of camping that goes on in hardcore means less kills and so less long shots.  That’s fine for some guns, like the M4, as they’re just so difficult to get longshots in core ao it’s better to do slowly in HC than not at all.  Other guns though, like the ISO hemlock or fss hurricane spring to mind, are piss easy in core and I think probably makes them quicker to do in core.

I need to unlock the M13c as AR's are pretty easy to platinum so should be a relatively easy one to do.

Up to 42 platinums now, so only 9 to go - single digits baby! Basically just continued working through the SMG's and Marksman rifles.  Marksman, I think, I've only got the Tempus Torrent to finish but I've got most done already.  SMG's I'm working on the PDSW and about halfway done with, I think, only the BAS-P and Fennec left to do but I imagine they're going to be horrendous for thinking I need to play some hardcore for them.

That puts me at 46 total, add the M13c, FR Advancer and Carrack is 49.  So need to find a couple more......hmmmmm.  Battle rifles suck but maybe hardcore? Launchers maybe?  But I think I'm track to have plats finished by MW3.

22 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

Their last expansion sold abysmally and currently has a mostly negative rating on Steam. Call of Duty cannot afford to ever put itself in a position especially if they want to keep the brand alive. Destiny 2 is all but dead in the water now because this model has failed to bring players back and grow the game even being free. 

No, Destiny 2 is all but dead in the water as Lightfall is shit expansion that neither critics or fans like.  However The Witch Queen reviewed well by the media and players and as a consequence did well.  Which you can't attribute to the model being bad, even if they released the DLC as new games, if Destiny 7 Lightfall did badly the series would be on it's knees too.

22 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

The franchise is probably too stale and it being far too late in the day to explore something like this.  What keeps COD fresh is it being a new game so if you take that away then you have to persuade existing owners to pay a premium to come back

I'd agree the franchise is too stale but that's also an argument for trying something different like a continuous game to revitalise it.  There's a mountain of problems with the servers of the old COD's coming back online.  But you only have to look online to see peoples interest in playing the old CoD's.  Now imagine, you could play those old CoD's 

You mean the "fresh" COD you've spent how many posts moaning about having so little content and new content just being rehashed old content?  You do also realise that when MW3 comes out, MW2 players will have to pay to come back too?

I'm not saying it will work if they go this route, it probably won't.  But an annual release of CoD has a lot of the same problems of a continuous game with DLC's.

15 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

Because the existing games are usually on their last legs long before then and then further demanding people buy an expansion for a game they don't play at full price wouldn't see many people coming back especially at a premium. Would also start splitting the playerbase and leave departed players alienated and possibly not coming back. MW3 is an isolated case because Activision did not plan ahead adequately and I wouldn't expect them to repeat this again. If they wanted to do down this avenue, it should've been done years ago and done properly, however the series was too busy pissing around with boost jumping, wall running and going back to World War 2.  I don't believe they've made a game that offers a confident foundation for them to build upon either but MW2019 would've been a good starting point and then they go and follow it up with a highly inferior game. 

It's definitely possible for this to happen - Siege, Fortnite, Apex and CS maintain strong playerbases and even grow still to this day but COD always struggles with this respect and until they produce a game that has lasting potential and a cemented design, then they will forever be releasing annually rinse and repeat. If only they released COD Online worldwide and supported that...

You don't think Destiny sees a significant drop off in players over a season and then a peak when new DLC is released?  The problems you mention though do impact games such as Destiny too, how many players don't return due to the amount of content passed.  Though Destiny somewhat get round this by giving older content for free or bundled in to newer DLC.  Sticking to the Destiny comparison though, I don't think CoD need to release a game that has lasting potential and a cemented design - Destiny 1 was good but there was also a lot of problems with it, one similar to recent CoD was content.  But the sticking power of Destiny has been down to Bungie adding content as well as tweaking and changing movement and mechanics over time to improve things.  MW2(022) suffered from lack of content and there's a few issues that people really hate, like slide cancelling, but the core game is fine IMO to build on.  Not to mention, CoD players drop off over the year but peaks again with the release of a 'new' CoD.  If they release a DLC pack with as much content as a full game, I don't think it's unreasonable to think a similar number of players would return.

If MW3 does basically end up being DLC for MW2(022) then it will be an interesting experiment to see how well it does.

Maybe it's just my old eyes but can't say I particularly noticed a difference in movement between MW-2019 and MW2-022.

If characters, guns etc. all carry over to MW3, I wonder if Activision will go a Destiny style route with CoD.  I know the games are so vastly different but rather than a 'new' CoD each year, why not do it as a huge DLC pack that adds on to the existing game.

It's going quite well for me and I'm getting through them quite well as I'm now up to 35 platinums so closing on Polyatomic.

That's

12 assault rifles (all except the new FR advancer as I've not unlocked it in the battle pass yet)

6 Sniper rifles (again, all except the new Carrack 300 as I've not unlocked it in the battle pass yet)

5 Shotguns (MX guardian I'm working on gold currently so should be done soon)

3 SMG's - VEL46, MX9 and Vaznev.   I've got gold on the rest so shouldn't be too bad getting long shots

3 Marksman rifles - EBR14, SPR and LM-S.  The rest are gold and halfway through the Lockwood Mk2.

7 Pistols - that's all of them.

For those counting along, that's 36.  I did the GS Magna at lunch today but it hasn't counted for some reason.  It does seem camo's have been bugged since the update as I noticed a few times guns I know I have platinumed don't show it unlocked in the challenges.  I think the Lachman sub or the Lockwood Mk2 are the next guns I'll do so I'll have to keep an eye on if they register.

Why Just Why!?
Posted

I've got no problem with them adding Nicki Minaj.  All the people who turtle up with riot shields on their back are going to be easy targets when their ass is twice as wide as the shield.

Well see what it brings, I quite liked that Cold War and Vanguard gave MW2019 a 3 year life cycle until MW2(022) replaced it.  So a MW3 expansion would be nice to extend MW2 rather than a whole new game.  But we know it'll probably be a full priced new game with less content so James will have lots to moan about 😄 

Well thanks to an idiot the M4 is now platinum too 😄 I had a game of hardcore domination on shoot house and a guy kept trying to snipe the wall but was rubbish so gave me 21 longshots in one game.

I'm trying to do the events camo's too, whoever thought of adding a challenge for melee kills from behind in a game where you can hear someone coming from 4 miles away and where half the players run a riot shield on their back needs to be bitten in the balls by a dog, choke on a chode or playing in traffic with a blindfold... or even all 3 at the same time.

Platinums are going well, I already had the Hemlock but finished the Lachman 556 the other night.

I then tried the M4 but even with every attachment for range, accuracy and recoil it’s still pretty bad so moved on to the TAQ56 which I’m at 9/25 so shouldn’t be too long.

Last night I managed to Platinum the broadside too.  So moved on to the Lockwood 300 which I’m already up to 8/20 so again should be done soon.  But then on to the rubbish shotguns.

So 3 down, 2 half-ish way and 46 to go.

Since my post, I’ve finished the shotguns.  I’ve gone back to the Broadside to get the longshots.

I’ve also got gold on all the LMG’s.  Some were easy as I only needed mounted kills or such but I had ranked up some had to play with a number of games to unlock the challenges.

I’ve almost done the LM-S too and just need the 3 kills now.  Then all marksman rifles will be gold too.

I definitely think Hardcore is the way to go for longshots.  As many guns accuracy sucks that longshots in core would be a pain.

I didn’t change my play style to get the Hemlock Platinum, I just happened to look at my challenges and realised I was only a few off.  But I’m not chasing Platinums and especially not Polyatomic.  I just thought I’d Gold the guns as it’s a relativey simple challenge on each gun.  But some are painful so can’t see me sticking with them to get the required longshots for Platinum.  And that’s in classes of guns I use nevermind ones I don’t like LMG’s, Battle Rifles, pistols etc.

As for Polyatomic, a quick google says there’s;

11 AR’s

5 BR’s

9 SMG’s

6 LMG’s

5 Shotguns

8 Marksman Rifles

6 Sniper Rifles

5 Pistols

4 Launchers

3 Melee

So 62 if my maths is correct so if you only need 51 you could miss the snipers entirely.

I was pretty close but my record now stands at;

AR's - All done except the M16.  I've only really used the M16 in HC as core it seems meh, so might have to do some more HC to finish it off.

SMG's - All done except the BAS-P, another gun pretty rubbish in core so again think I need to do some HC

Shotguns - All done except Bryson890 which I only need 2x 3 kills without dying which is relatively easy.

Marksman rifles - All done except LM-S, I didn't get on with when I tried it and never gone back but will have to give it another go.

I've managed to unlock my first platinum too on the ISO Hemlock, hearing some comments I expected it to be harder than it was.  Though I imagine some guns will be a massive ball ache to get long shots with.

Next for me will be finishing off the missing guns above and snipers.  I've levelled up most snipers but mostly missing crouched or prone kills with them so shouldn't be too hard to get them done.  Though I know MCPR requires hipfire kills which is bullshit so hoping Shipment 24/7 can get that out the way.

I don't really use camo's so have little interest in chasing them but recently thought I'd try to get them just for the challenge.  I've levelled up most guns in the beginning to unlock all the guns / attachments and found I'd golded quite a few without knowing.  I'll have to check later to see exactly where I'm up to but think all AR's and Marksman rifles are done with only 1 SMG and Shotgun to gold.  Battle rifles and LMG's are much less used so these aren't even close.  I almost exclusively use Overkill so pistols and launchers are even less.

MW2 (2022) - Season 3 Roadmap
Posted
25 minutes ago, J4MES OX4D said:

I have never known a video game to measure its peak time and peak player count as the same thing ever. I mean how many times have you heard in this industry developers and publishers refer to peak declines or underperformance at peak time..

I haven't but that's because my exposure to player statistics for games is limited to what you post as I'd rather play a game than analyse the player base.  You're still confusing things by referring to "it's" peak time and count when, if I'm understanding you correctly, what you're actually comparing is the peak in Steam players against the peak in MW2 players.  It still seems to be an odd thing to do though as I imagine the peak steam usage is the evening in USA timezones when there's many reasons a games peak could be in a different timezone.  As by that logic, if only 1% of American Steam users play your game it would be considered shit even if 100% of Japanese Steam users play your game.

33 minutes ago, J4MES OX4D said:

I’ll keep it simple - MW2 achieved around 32,000 at peak platform time that day. That’s all there is to it really and it really is that simple. Doesn’t really mean all that much to a game in a steady monthly decline so there’s no point in squabbling over nitty-gritty terminologies. 

It isn't that simple though is it, why was the player count so low at the time? By the screenshot there wasn't a corresponding dip in players on April 11th or 13th suggesting there's other factor(s) for the dip on the 12th.  I'm not arguing against the general trend, I haven't looked at the stats and honestly don't care to either, but cherry picking a outlier is pointless.

25 minutes ago, techno said:

Regardless of peak anything from what I see season 3 is atrocious from a 6v6 pov. The rest I could give a fuck. 

Why? What have they done to 6v6? I've been busy the past couple of nights so haven't played since the season 3 patch dropped.

Posted
2 minutes ago, J4MES OX4D said:

So by that logic, if COD has its highest player count of the month at 7am GMT in the morning on a Monday, that means it's 'peak time'!? No that's not how it is defined at all here

Yes it is,that is literally the definition of ‘peak time’.

Peak time

noun

a time of day when a lot of people are using the same service, such as the internet, phone, etc.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/peak-time

And you know how you find out when a lot of people are using the same service….you count them and find the peak.

Posted

Does ‘peak’ mean something different in your world?  As there’s more players online at almost every other point in time in that graph.

So it’s more like an anti peak…I feel English probably should have a word for that…

You do not have permission to view this content.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy