11-year old Brony attempts suicide after being bullied

Dattebayo

Doc...we are close to the same age, so...if what you said was true...you telling me if a kid in 1980 killed himself because of being bullied it would not make the main stream news?? Sorry doc, I always like and agree with you, but that one I do not agree with bud. I remember back in the day everything was broadcast. I remember news stories from states and people I never thought of back when I was a kid. No biggie but I just don't agree I guess.

Well, let me put it to you like this.

In 1989 my middle school had a school shooting.  A literally cracked out idiot drove up in the bus turn around, fired a deer rifle at the kids outside until the rifle was empty, and then drove off.  I was on the playground and was one of the kids he was shooting at.  He was apprehended by police later in the day.  No one was hit or hurt.  Did you ever hear that story before today?  Not unless you read the Courier-Journal, which ran a small article in the local section.  Broadcast news, even local, never touched it.  Do you think if the same thing occurred to day it might made the media? 

Look, in 1980 the media wasn't what it is today.  There was no Twitter, no Facebook, etc. to spread these local only stories while they are still fresh and interesting.  The media actually learns about a lot of these stories from social media these days, which wasn't an option in the '80s.  The AP certainly didn't send a reporter to or transmit every single story of local interest only over the wire.  News was more valued than it is now, because there was limited space to broadcast it.  There were only so many minutes in a news program or pages in a paper.  The Internet and constant broadcast news channels have cheapened that, the space is now basically infinite.

I will say I'm not a media expert.  I do know someone who is, though.  A buddy of mine in his 60s has worked for Kentucky News Network for decades.  KNN doesn't broadcast news on their own, they are a clearinghouse.  They get stories off the wire (and now the Internet) and feed them to local radio channels for their DJ's to read on air and for their short news broadcasts.  I'll ask him what he thinks about this debate.

It was a pure truth. Even if I don't believe in censoring ones speech however abhorrent; evoking disdain as a byproduct, discussions from each hemisphere of the coin will help each others understanding of ideas. Stifling opinions here is pandemic but unfortunately needed. All respect to Diddy & crew. 

There are ways to present every viewpoint in a respectful manner. I didn't see what you wrote, but if Dids edited it, I'm left to assume that it was unnecessarily antagonistic.

I don't think there's anything here specific to Brony's; why the kid was bullied is irrelevant. If a bully wants to bully you, he'll find a reason. Some people are more emotionally equipped to deal with it than others. The simple fact of the matter is that not all people have the same tolerance for suffering. I don't like this particular story simply because it serves to further sensationalize the 'brony' phenomenon. Because, well, it isn't. It's nothing. It's just people who like a show. By calling themselves bronies, it somehow takes on greater meaning and contributes to their own separation from what is considered 'normal'.

This has two effects. On the one hand, people who label themselves as such feel a bond with each other, feel like they are part of something, feel like they are a little bit different and special. On the other, people see the label and because it's not something they understand or are a part of, they ridicule it. As far as I'm concerned it's a cartoon with a positive message, it's well written and well done. It's geared towards girls, sure, but it's message is universal and not at all gender specific. Some males young and old like it, some don't. Some girls like GIJoe, some don't. Whatever, who the fuck cares. I loved nothing more than the Joy of Painting with Bob Ross. No one is defined by the shows they watch, unless it's child p0nr or something equally heinous.

As for the broader topic of bullying, it has gone on forever, but that doesn't make it right. At the most basic human level, most of us know right from wrong. When you see a tough guy, picking on a weaker kid for his own amusement, it's fucking wrong. Don't tell the victim he needs to toughen up, pick the ass hat up and slam him on the ground.

If you decide to put your dick in crazy, be ready to change your phone number and relocate.

While I know I've sidetracked this thread a bit, I did go ahead and e-mail my friend.  I copied the posts about the media, stripped out any detail that would indicate which side I took so as not to influence his decision, and asked for his opinion.  I'll let you know the results of what a "media insider" thinks. Unless he disagrees with me.  Then I'll say he never e-mailed me back.  ;)

While I know I've sidetracked this thread a bit, I did go ahead and e-mail my friend.  I copied the posts about the media, stripped out any detail that would indicate which side I took so as not to influence his decision, and asked for his opinion.  I'll let you know the results of what a "media insider" thinks. Unless he disagrees with me.  Then I'll say he never e-mailed me back.   ;)

Sneaky. x)

DM9ON.png

My friends's response on the media:

I can add some perspective (I think). I was in high school in the late 1950s. A couple of kids in the hallway just outside my classroom got into a fight. One pulled a switchblade knife on the other. The second boy managed to thwart being stabbed, and teachers intervened. The altercation was broken up. The story got no further than the school and the neighborhood, because radio, newspapers and television could care less. Today would be different, I am sure. 

We now live in a world where a kid who cuts a piece of paper up to make it look like a gun gets disciplined and the story makes national news. Incidents in which kids are just being kids are blown out of proportion. It is just like Facebook posters are wont to do. Everything seems fair game to the news media. The guy who mentioned the small number of television stations of years gone by is right. So is the person who mentioned today's social media. The "mainstream" media picks up on this.

Even the more serious crime incidents that once were considered strictly local have become national news for their 15 minutes of fame. Unfortunately the more serious things are ignored. Is that media's fault, or is it because the public does not give a damn? People generally are not caring about what really matters, I think. They completely tune out anything that is really important. So media falls in line in order to sell print ads and broadcast commercials.

Every time we have a little bit of snow, television makes the event a World War III eruption. That incident passes until the next week when there is another meteorological catastrophe. Just listening to the weather people speak out with shrill, dire warnings of what's on the way is enough to make one want to crawl in a hole and hide away from society.    

I apologize for the thread necromancy, but I got  an update.

Over the last several days, for the first time, Michael has steadily improved. His body is starting to wake up and his brain is very slowly starting to function again.  He no longer needs IV medications or sedation.

There are recent signs of neurological function present in Michael’s body that have not previously existed.  As such, the next steps include moving him to a wheelchair.  His family attributes his improvement to the outpouring of love and support.

The doctors still don't know what he will be capable of since his brain has a long way to go, but thanks to each and everyone of you out there sending love, positive thoughts and prayers, Michael is experiencing an evolving miracle of healing.

Sauce: http://www.chicagonow.com/portrait-of-an-adoption/2014/02/great-new-update-on-michael-morones/

That's certainly good news.

Only time will tell at this point, but I'm hopeful.

I don't like this particular story simply because it serves to further sensationalize the 'brony' phenomenon. Because, well, it isn't. It's nothing. It's just people who like a show. By calling themselves bronies, it somehow takes on greater meaning and contributes to their own separation from what is considered 'normal'.

This has two effects. On the one hand, people who label themselves as such feel a bond with each other, feel like they are part of something, feel like they are a little bit different and special. On the other, people see the label and because it's not something they understand or are a part of, they ridicule it. 

Here's the thing...

I like Batman just as much (if not the same) as MLP:FIM, but I have never once considered myself a "Batmite" (eh? Get it?) or wearing a Batman-related avatar or endlessly drawing Batman fanart (although I do have plenty of that).

Why? I don't know. Probably never will, either.

Like you said: there's not much to look into.

Sure, the brony fandom is eccentric. What fandom isn't?

But I wouldn't have them any other way.

(.cont, maybe)

DM9ON.png