alternatively, i may consider taking it to a guitar shop and seeing if its worth getting a decent floyd installed. but id rather get a new amp! any amp recommendations ? (£100/$220 ?) i was looking years ago at the vox valvetronix (?) but there probably loads more to chose from by now

Nooooo, listen to Palle! I made the mistake of suggesting to a friend I'd restring his floyd rose Jackson with Medium stings + a wound G. I prefer a wound G.  :ph34r: He told me it wasn't as easy as I though so I watched below and opted out quickly, especially at 5:29. It's something I'd do to a guitar I owned. People are picky and It's hard enough to get strings through the saddle you have now! :lol:

As for Amps I have two DSP's which a lot of people dislike. A 30W Fender and a 100W Marshall. Again Palle touched on the synthetic sounds they create with built in gain and effects settings, and I've heard the sound quality diminishes over use. I never turn my 30 above 1 and my hearing isn't 100% so I don't really pick up on the differences because its not loud enough!!! :D I don't use the on board effects either. I use a tuner/effects pedal like this newer model. Tubes are superior it's well and fairly documented but it's all what you prefer, can afford and what you're using it for. A 30W DSP mic'd works good over drums if you're playing out or practicing with others, is a great practice amp and doesn't eat up too much space in my home.

Also I like your tartan pants. :lol:

jpw_tyrannosaurus-rex_zpscpttjstm.jpg

@Palle, sorry to hear man! You need a rocker chick to hear ya out! Dosnet seem to be too many of those though :/ 

Yeah I don't play very well either, I only know the "DMajor" pentatonic scale. I wanna learn all those boxes and modes. I'm trying to get strumming down, so far i've come a long way with that. Now that I got some ok speed and ok strumming, I can hear melodies in the things I play. I also just play what I feel. I know bits and pieces of real songs, but nothing substantial. 

Gotta be my favourite  (melodic) death metal band. Every record they have made is awesome,. Serenity painted death has got to be my favourite track though. the break is so fucking heavy yet so simple. its genius.

they might not play the fastest solos or riffs, but everything is so in place. the melodies are amazing, the acoustic parts of songs brilliant to. the solo on "hours of wealth " is probably one of my favourite. the guitar tone gives me goosebumbs, its so haunting.

Ri855cK.gif

Chookes said:

I absoloutely prefer it this way. You have overall more control. You can finish one guy off first, or all ten

Nooooo, listen to Palle! I made the mistake of suggesting to a friend I'd restring his floyd rose Jackson with Medium stings + a wound G. I prefer a wound G.  :ph34r: He told me it wasn't as easy as I though so I watched below and opted out quickly, especially at 5:29. It's something I'd do to a guitar I owned. People are picky and It's hard enough to get strings through the saddle you have now! :lol:

Also I like your tartan pants. :lol:

the guitar comes with a FR, but the previous owner took i out. thats the only reason i though about putting a decent one back in. but i cant be arsed with it, too much effort and money.

Ri855cK.gif

Chookes said:

I absoloutely prefer it this way. You have overall more control. You can finish one guy off first, or all ten

just ordered a peavy vypr , (newer model). been looking at reviews and stuff all day and it looks like a pretty decent practice amp for playing metal, but one that can get some pretty reasonable cleans as well.

Ri855cK.gif

Chookes said:

yeah im excited to play it. ive heard the bass settings are crap, which is what you w.ould expect (its not a bass amp ffs), but the acoustic models might be okay.

Ri855cK.gif

Chookes said:

argh they are out of stock til the 10th of feb or something like that!. they said they would do the line -6 equivlant for a bit less, but im gunna wait for the peavy

Ri855cK.gif

Chookes said:

now i am wanting a sick blues rig. my amp should be here in 3 weeks. i am dying to try it out.

been listening to alot of blues lately. its sick. peter green is a fucking genius. i neeeeed to be able to play like this

Ri855cK.gif

Chookes said:

finger picking is okay, but i never learnt to use my pinkie as i didnt play much more than a year of classical guitar when i was a kid. trying to learn it again is hard

In love with this song at the moment. its so awesome and haunting, and the lyrics are awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gS8haFRboRY

Ri855cK.gif

Chookes said:

finally got my new amp. its a solid state combo modelling amp, so it emulates other models,including the 6505 and fender twin.

20140212_215334_zps74a0e203.jpg

Its much bigger than i expected, but at 20w its not huge. ive only got a small 10w practice amp that sounds awful at the moment. Its nice  having something bigger, defintely feels nice having a "proper" amp now.

it sounds pretty good to be honest. Ive not had a chance to crank it up on some high gain settings, as its so fucking loud. The volume goes to 13, and just above 0 is about quiet enough to practice later at night. 5 or 6, and i probably need to be in a garage or something away from the house. Sweet.

The amp models are pretty cool. The 6505 is great for high gain metal sounds but i need to tweak it a little. when i play on a clean channel i sound like im playing cleanly, but the standard higain settings pick up every tiny touch of other strings. probably my crappy playing, but theres so many settings to experiment with im sure to find something sweet. for clean bluesy tones, the fender twin model is really, really rich and sounds great, even on my guitar which is built more for rock and metal than clean playing.

There are a bunch of effects that im probably not going to use that much, but there are some that are cool. looking at it now , i have rotory effect, univibe, reverb, phaser, flanger, chorus, slicer ( cant remember the other 13)

the only downside so far is that maybe i should have got the 40w version. the 60w has more features and a digital interface, but you might as well buy a proper amp for the amount it costs. youd only get a 60w amp for gigging, and you would maybe want a "real" tube amp for that. but that said, you could gig with the 40w version as it does sound really good. The 40w version also has more effects (not that i would use them), but also more amp models, including the Mesa boogie dual rectifier....there is alot of online/community preset settings for different sounds and bands, and alot use the dual rec....which my model doesnt have.  but then again the 6505 is so awesome that i can probably come up with my own settings anyway....you aint gunna sound like dave mustaine if you dont  have his exact rig anyway!

pretty happy with this amp

Ri855cK.gif

Chookes said: