guitar thread !

will post pics and stuff...feel free to post your music, guitars, rigs, any videos of any kind

also a quick question from me....i have just gone from 09's up to 10's and had to stick an extra spring on the bridge...how big a gap between the body and bridge is acceptable ? i might have to add a fith spring or adjust the claw screws..would i have to adjust anything else ?

the gap at the moment is about a pick and a half thick ! (1mm pick)

Ri855cK.gif

Chookes said:

I absoloutely prefer it this way. You have overall more control. You can finish one guy off first, or all ten

Well i dont have the pics on my computer but ill post what i own.

I own a Epiphone Les paul standard in ebony, an Ibanez RGR 320sp in white, a Jay Turser strat copy, and two Xaviere's. Both of those are probably my favorites. one's a thin lespaul copy, and one's a tele thinline copy. Here's Xaviere's home site called guitarfetish. Not sure if any of you heard of it, but they got good shit for fair prices. 

I play on a vox VT20. wish i can have a stage amp

http://www.guitarfetish.com/

Yay guitars! Not sure on the gap. I have as many springs as will fit in and the tremolo bar off on my Fender. :ph34r: And I don't have any vids or songs. I play to TV and try to play along with movie scores. I can play a mean Harry Potter theme :lol: Originally I became fascinated with taking guitars apart and putting them back together, stringing, moding... Interested in the electronics but never really fucked with it. I'd like to take the pickups out of my Jackson and slap them in the fender but am a-scared.

This is a good chance for me to ask others about # tunings. I've been fucking with trying to learn a song I love and it has a E B E G# B E tuning. I read that a # is the first fret on that string in standard tuning. It sounds right. Is there another trick for figuring out #'s?

Anyhoo my sluts:

OG Gibson SG Special Platinum with chrome pickup covers.

150709_10150918264453890_1495148605_n.jp24232_363955623889_6825292_n.jpg?lvh=1

Fender Squire Stratocaster Special Edition - Not actual image.

86ceb3c861ac3d7b0737b2ccde488ca3.png

Jackson KVX10 King V

250px-Jacksonkvx10.jpg

jpw_tyrannosaurus-rex_zpscpttjstm.jpg

I started playing this tonight

anyone got any tips for the sweeps at the start of the solo ? they are fairly simple 3 string patterns, but im not sure whether to be using my pinkie or not. the stretch is easy with fingers 1 and 3.

gunna practise this a fair bit i hope. could possibly do the solo on 3/4 speed with some decent practice

e|--19p15------15-19p15------15---20p17-------17-20p17-------17-22p19-------|B|-------17--17--------17--17-----------18--18---------18--18---------20--20|G|---------16------------16---------------17-------------17-------------19--|D|--------------------------------------------------------------------------|A|--------------------------------------------------------------------------|E|--------------------------------------------------------------------------|e|-19-22p19------19--19p15------15-19p15------15----22-20-19-17--21-19-17---|B|---------20--20---------17--17--------17--17----------------------------20|G|-----------19-------------16------------16--------------------------------|D|--------------------------------------------------------------------------|A|--------------------------------------------------------------------------|E|--------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Ri855cK.gif

Chookes said:

I absoloutely prefer it this way. You have overall more control. You can finish one guy off first, or all ten

I started playing this tonight

anyone got any tips for the sweeps at the start of the solo ? they are fairly simple 3 string patterns, but im not sure whether to be using my pinkie or not. the stretch is easy with fingers 1 and 3.

gunna practise this a fair bit i hope. could possibly do the solo on 3/4 speed with some decent practice

e|--19p15------15-19p15------15---20p17-------17-20p17-------17-22p19-------|

B|-------17--17--------17--17-----------18--18---------18--18---------20--20|

G|---------16------------16---------------17-------------17-------------19--|

D|--------------------------------------------------------------------------|

A|--------------------------------------------------------------------------|

E|--------------------------------------------------------------------------|

e|-19-22p19------19--19p15------15-19p15------15----22-20-19-17--21-19-17---|

B|---------20--20---------17--17--------17--17----------------------------20|

G|-----------19-------------16------------16--------------------------------|

D|--------------------------------------------------------------------------|

A|--------------------------------------------------------------------------|

E|--------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Bow to Leper Messiah!

Nice thread, was thinking of making one myself but I didn't think there would be a lot of interest.

About the arpeggio, don't use the ring finger but your pinkie instead. It's quite a stretch even between those higher frets and will feel a lot more comfortable that way once you gain some strength in it. Imagine playing the same arpeggio on the fifth fret using your ring finger, it creates much unnecessary motion and strain to the muscles in your hand.

Did you fix your bridge? Is it a Floyd type? It should be aligned with the body of the guitar when looking from the sides. Maybe slightly tilted towards the fretboard but it increases the action of the strings so more force is needed to push strings down.

its not a floyd no. i stuck an extra trem spring in . its now still tilted towards the pick ups/raised a bit. i dont think it makes much difference, other than if i want to use the whammy , but i dont have a bar for it that fits so i wont be using it anytime soon

i might just add the fith spring and block the bridge completely/play as a hardtail for now. alternatively, i may consider taking it to a guitar shop and seeing if its worth getting a decent floyd installed. but id rather get a new amp! any amp recommendations ? (£100/$220 ?) i was looking years ago at the vox valvetronix (?) but there probably loads more to chose from by now

cleardot.gif

20131128_084708_zpsdfcc1e1c.jpg

20131128_084649_zps80eac648.jpg

20131128_084106_zps6b27b962.jpg

20131128_084100_zps38789f63.jpg

Ri855cK.gif

Chookes said:

Nice guitar! Really like the silver purple-ish color.

I wouldn't worry about the bridge to be honest, you could find some harder springs to hold it back properly if it bothers you. Or you could place a small block of wood or something similar in the space between bridge and body on the inside to hold it in place. It won't move a bit and it's free.

I would not recommend trying to change it to a Floyd tremolo, not on a guitar like that. If you don't have the tools and knowledge to do it yourself it's just not worth it because usually a modification like that costs a fortune.

When I worked as a luthier my tutor would charge 900£+ for something like this. Usually he would say no those jobs. You can get 2-3 new guitars that already have those bridges installed for that price... Also, it almost impossible changing to a floyd without having major tuning problems afterwards. Just to let you know.

As for amps... I don't know a lot about them, I only used few real ones when re-hearsing and sometimes at the music store.

I remember using the Valve Tronix though and I wouldn't recommend it. It's a solid-state amp with a very obvious synthetic tone and effects which I didn't like at all... Tube amps are the best but are a bit more expensive. Still looking to get one myself.

I never owned a real amp except my old Laney Hardcore 25w solid-state amp that I got when I was 13. I currently use an effects unit combined with expression/volume pedal plugged into a stereo and have used it for six years now (don't know if you watched my vidoes but that's the one).

It's called Rocktron Utopia G100 and has tons of modulations for pre-amps and effects which sound very natural and analog. Cost me about 180£ back in 2007.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/reviews/guitar_effects/rocktron/utopia_g100/

I can link you my videos so you can hear some of the presets if you like.

yeah man some vids would be cool

were you ever on the UG forums...i spent FAR to much time in "the pit" hahah

UG(H)... lol. Nah I don't really like that forum. I've was readig some stuff a few years ago but the community doesnt seem that great. I was turned off by the flame wars and the apparent "holier-than-thou"-attitude ove there.

What is "the pit"?

Ok, here's a couple of the old ones... I'll upload some more later tonight or tomorrow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg9upv1VAG0

Palle, I have to say I'm jealous. You can play sick. I'm lightyears behind you in the skills department haha, awesome vids brotha

Thanks man :P Just keep on practising and you'll get there eventually!

I used to play at least 2-3 hours per day (sometimes more) between the age of 14-17...

17-20, maybe 2-3 hours two or three times per week.

20-23 (current), sometimes not playing for months and months... Then suddenly I play 2 hours everyday of the week for maybe a month or two.

I'm trying! :D I bet you impress all the hot ladies huh? ;)

Haha I wish! But not really man :\ I don't know, maybe I've played for the wrong girls but usually no one cares, not even one bit lol. People have such high standards these days, maybe they have too or they are stupid pop fans. :D

what stuff do you play, songs or do you practice scales and theory and stuff ? i can never decide what to practice. ive learnt the one of the blues boxes and im learning the major this evening.

its so hard not to try and play something as a box or pattern, and to flow freely between the notes. hopefully this will come in time. so hard to know what to practice without a teacher !

Ri855cK.gif

Chookes said:

I just play what I feel like playing... I listen to a song and try to play it. Sit down and listen to a song, try to imitate what you hear. I decided to practice some scales a while ago and it bored me, I know the basic ones though. I don't even know the basic chords, just a few.

I never fully learned a song, just pick out the things I like the most and practice those. Always by ear. If it doesn't sound good, you are most likely doing something wrong. Tabs won't show you that...

Try to have someone to jam with, it helps your improvisation... When I play with other people I get so many ideas. Practice what you really want to learn.

If you feel something isn't working for you, take a break. Re-think it and start it slow til you have it perfectly figured out and progressively increase the tempo. Always play it in a tempo that you are comfortable with. If you start playing it faster and it doesn't sound clean, stop. Try to find your threshold and grind it until you are 100% comfortable with it, then you increase it. That is the key, at least for me.

@Dr Diamond

I still recommend the Fender mustang Amp. It comes in different sizes and I don't know how "professional" you want.

I have the II. It allows to program the settings for any of your songs and there is a user community online that have done some settings for alot of songs already. I got mine about 2 years ago and no problems

http://www.fender.com/series/mustang/