Enough

Diddums

First of all I want to say to Dave I respect what you have done here and are trying to do.

Unfortunately there are all kind of different people here and what does not affect one person may affect someone else and it's really none of anyone's business what people take offence to. 

I would suggest that anytime you post something imagine saying it to someone face who's 6 inches taller and 80 lbs heavier. If you'd have the balls to do it then then it's probably ok to do it online. The biggest problem with online is you can be a total asshole to someone and not have to worry about them or their friends giving you a good old punch in the mouth.

Ignore only works to some extent because people will quote people when they reply and those peoples posts will then appears in posts from people who's post you might want to read. Also it becomes quite evident when people are either making fun of you or berating you in a group so doing it in an anonymous forum is rather cowardly anyways. 

*momentarily comes out of retirement*

Here's my opinion on these matters.

I did not come here to have more 'freedom' and I didn't think any of us did. We came here because Auptyk was a massive cunt and the admin basically admitted he didn't give a shit about the community. That's why we're here, not because people wanted more freedom in what they could say.

In general, I don't think people need to be censored; I believe the mod/admin's job is to keep things stable, not necessarily nice. It takes understanding your members and the situation. It takes diplomacy. Sometimes you'll get it right, sometimes you'll fuck up, but it's better I believe than trying to institute a strict set of rules and being naziesque about enforcing them.

For example. Lepercolony and Spectre go at each other pretty intensely at times (as have Spectre and myself). However, knowing both of them as I do, I know that they can both take it as well as they can dish it. I know that neither of them will cross the 'line' and by golly, the argument will be interesting.

I know that Cal, Tam, Adam, Euan, etc. like to bust balls and that it's all in good fun. I know no one's feelings are being hurt (except maybe Euan's but who cares) so let them do their thing. Not an issue.

Now, where we run into problems...

I watched as a young and naive forumer posted in the political section about how Obama would help the economy. I knew what was coming and said as much. Then McNasty arrived and tore into him. Had it been me or lepercolony or any number of other people, it would have been fine. Unfortunately, the person on the receiving end of McNasty's rebuttal was sensitive, young, naive, clueless—quite simply, they were in way over their head (but well-meaning in their original post). This was not a discussion amongst equals and nothing besides hurt feelings was going to come out of it.

The point is that it is not so much about what is being said, but who the parties involved are. Some people can be allowed to duke it out, others must be shielded. This is moderating, literally, moderating personalities. Propping up the meek and blunting the strong so that all can harmoniously coexist. Let people run wild and eventually only the dominant personalities will remain, which is fine if that's what you want.

It's not what I want.

If you decide to put your dick in crazy, be ready to change your phone number and relocate.

oh right this guy.

*momentarily comes out of retirement*

Here's my opinion on these matters.

I did not come here to have more 'freedom' and I didn't think any of us did. We came here because Auptyk was a massive cunt and the admin basically admitted he didn't give a shit about the community. That's why we're here, not because people wanted more freedom in what they could say.

i might be fucking up history, but i really could've sworn there was a post early on about how Diddums didn't want to be told who he could and couldn't rip into when he felt like it.  i could find it, except . . . lazy.  that's not really my style or why i came over eventually, but at least the guy gives a shit about us.  that's what sold me.

thanks for giving a shit, Diddums.  probably don't say that enough.

I watched as a young and naive forumer posted in the political section about how Obama would help the economy. I knew what was coming and said as much. Then McNasty arrived and tore into him. Had it been me or lepercolony or any number of other people, it would have been fine. Unfortunately, the person on the receiving end of McNasty's rebuttal was sensitive, young, naive, clueless—quite simply, they were in way over their head (but well-meaning in their original post). This was not a discussion amongst equals and nothing besides hurt feelings was going to come out of it.

:lol: :lol:  oh, memories.

Okay...I'm the "old guy" so let me interject some HOPEFULLY wisdom into this thread ^_^ or not lol. Anyway...

First off...I did not read past the first post from Dave, why, I didn't need too do so. Because I see 40 replies, I didn't read them, yet I bet I know EXACTLY what they all say....it was Dave saying to stop the childish stuff and then 40 replies saying sorry Dave didn't mean it. Am I close?

Listen, I have ran 3 websites for the past 10 years....been there done that basically, seen/done it all. BUT....get this.....I can tell you with 100% certainly I know what makes a website stand the test of time (hence why my sites are 10+ yrs still to date) and what makes a site last.....members that care/like it. Just like I see most the guys here do, you all for the most part care, so seriosuly lets all stop the kidish BS and "he said/she said" and "here's why this guy left Blah blah fuckin blah"....know what, be a man. Enjoy the site, enjoy the friends, enjoy the outlet Dave has given us. Seriously I'm 42 yrs old, when something happens to me, one of the things (maybe second or third) that I think of is posting it here...why? Because I consider all you guys friends. So I want you all to know what goes on in my life.

Guys like Dave, Tommy, Jay, Doc, Adam, even Fracee ;) hell I could go on and on. I even though I have never meet these people in person I still think of you guys to share shit will, if I didn't then I would not even be here.

So I'll be the one to say this. Stop all the childish bullshit. We have a great site here where we can all enjoy, Dave provided it to us, at his cost, so lets repay him by at least showing how we like/enjoy it because I bet he would enjoy that.

That's all I got to say.