State of the FG MC server

Just Cal

Aaaaaaaaaand I'm sorted.

Thank fuck for that and for you. I was so stressed out over this that I smoked after getting a tooth pulled today.

Thank you for your patience dude.

Oh god!

Dude, no smokes with pulled teeth, you can get infected gums!

Seriously though, glad it was helpful, get better, and play around some to get used to the mods!

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

List of crap what needs to be done:

1. Rooz - we need some rooz up in this piece
  2. Whitelist - so you fella's can connect (Please send me your MC id's again)
  3. Can you hear me now? - Find a host with good ping times for all of us

Thats my main list right now. When I say Rules, what I mean is lets get something in place now in case we do open this up to other people.

'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Most likely its the Rendering and the Hardware of  laptop you are on.

Do this for me:

Go to Start -> Run

Type in DXDIAG

press enter

Let that run, save the Text file when its done, then PM me here the file.

That's what I was thinking. Except that Bart is the only one here who actually knows what he's doing, I'll learn as I go. I'll need more mods and admins too. If I were to appoint more, you'd have my phone number on Whatsapp so you can contact me whenever if you need any advice, ie what to do with naughty people etc etc. 

It'll also cost a ton in the beginning until people start showing up and contributing towards the running costs, so that'll come out of my own pocket unless others are willing to chime in for that. 

Dunno, let's see what Bart says.

banlol.png

So here is the problem as it stands right now.

We have always played by the honor system, we all know each other and we know not to be a bunch of dicks.

We play with zero protection, and the server has zero protection currently built into it thats not based on the above.

Reddit is not like that at all.

Reddit is a bunch of whores that seriously get around and will infect your junk, steal your DVD's, and then burn your house down.

I am 100% cool with going in that direction, BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will need loads more time to get the server running with some sort of world border, and Block logger. Not to mention backups and permissioning.

The world load grows exponentially, and other than offsetting the cost of the server, there isn't a large turn around on investment.

That being said, I am okay with going down that path, and I even talked with Dave about it a few days ago, we just need loads more work first.

Forge Essentials will have to be set up and explored. Or MCPC will have to update to 1.6.4. (If MCPC updates, then I can skip Forge essentials, and start using a few other Bukkit mods that I know fairly well.)

Doesn't matter where we advertise, the same situation arises. Neither is above the other.

Regardless, lets use this sticky as the spot where we work out issues with connections and mod packs, and use the State of the Server thread for discussions like this.

Server spawn!

So this little slice of green in the Volcano is the spawn

6CcylRq.png

Reverse view, with some of my construction started in it.

jCE2Coe.png

There were two lava flows here that were covering most of the spawn. I blocked them up with glass and will reuse them later

TNlXwez.png

The Lava uncovered a dungeon

LJxZnaH.png

Bart what amount of work are we looking at to set this up to go public? I'll help as much as I can obviously but I don't know how much help I'll actually be able to be.

Does it involve starting from scratch again, or can this be added to what you've already done?

banlol.png

That depends on MCPC.

If MCPC gets updated to Minecraft 1.6.4, then figure a week or so of testing. (This is an approximation, it could be a few days, it could be longer)

Without MCPC being updated, I would need to start from scratch and go back to Bukkit.

The level of protection needed for a public server is just way to much.

Scrap it then. I was thinking of getting some folks from other fora that I frequent to join, but I sure as hell can't be arsed with all the permissions bollocks and I'm sure you can't either.

There is a lot to it, and the Forge Essentials documentation is horrible, I wasn't even able to figure out how to give my son permission to /fly in his own world.

If we scapped the setup we have now and went pure Bukkit, then the I could do all of it without an issue. Its Forge plugin system that breaks it apart.

Not sure if you guys know this or care but here:

There are two plugin code bases for Minecraft

1. Bukkit - Think Windows OS
  2. Forge - Think Linux OS

MCPC is the mix of the two. (See above posts on why I don't just jump to using it.)

Bukkit is great for what it does and because it was the first code base out there, it has the most documentation, the most variety of plugins, and more people are familiar with it.

Forge is harder to use, but the mods get insanely detailed and once you can get them to work, you will never stop using them.

Random thought:

What we could do is play with the setup we have now, and test the waters as far as how long people plan on playing and contributing and what not. When Minecraft 1.7 comes out everything will change. ( I seriously mean everything, that version will be tits out AMAZING)

We can at that point decide upon the direction to take and what mod pack to use.

Random thought:

What we could do is play with the setup we have now, and test the waters as far as how long people plan on playing and contributing and what not. When Minecraft 1.7 comes out everything will change. ( I seriously mean everything, that version will be tits out AMAZING)

We can at that point decide upon the direction to take and what mod pack to use.

I'm down, 1.7 looks insane.