Pokémon Go Players Requesting Refunds Over Lack Of Tracking

http://kotaku.com/pokemon-go-players-requesting-refunds-over-lack-of-trac-1784616329

cqe0vqvfh7h3eyk5bjwk.jpg

With the broken in-game tracking patched out and third-party services getting shut down, Pokémon Go players are now requesting refunds for in-app purchases, and in many cases they’re getting them.

A Reddit thread started earlier today is steadily filling with stories of players requesting refunds for their in-app purchases through Google Play or iTunes, citing that Pokémon Go’s latest update broke the functionality they’d made the purchases to take advantage of.

When the game’s tracking was working, nearby Pokémon would be listed on screen, along with a series of steps vaguely denoting how far away they were from the player. Players could then select a Pokémon, tap the compass and follow directions to hopefully capture the creature they were after.

The three-step glitch, which showed all nearby Pokémon the furthest possible distance from the player, made tracking difficult. Yesterday’s game update removed tracking altogether, leaving just a list of nearby Pokémon without distances or the ability to select one and track.

Players had been making due with third-party tracking programs likePokevision, which used Go developer Niantic’s API data, but as of this morning, many of the more popular apps have been shut down for unspecified (but pretty obvious) reasons.

So now players are requesting refunds, citing that the game’s functionality has been altered to the point where the original plans for those in-app purchases are no longer viable. They purchased Pokémon Gocurrency to buy items to track and capture Pokémon, and while they can still capture random creatures they come across, it’s not the same thing.

To test the process, I hopped into iTunes, went to my purchase history and reported a problem with my most recent purchase, a $9.99 buy made back on July 9. It went through without a hitch.

rkx5epg5kep3azcwmdd8.png

Other players report similar success going through the automated process. Meanwhile, Google Play’s automated policy only allows for refunds on purchases made within the past 48 hours, though Redditors are reporting success getting earlier purchases refunded by using the option to have Google support call them.

It remains to be seen how refunds will affect player accounts, or howPokémon Go developer Niantic will respond.

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

So in this day in age transparency reigns supreme, as it should. Niantic has been radio silent as of day one with their game and are almost collapsing from the inside. They are making constant decisions that make you scratch your head. The entire premise and advertisement of the game is to track down your favorite Pokemon with the game's built in tracking system. A game that tracks pokemon, now has no means whether ingame or third party to track the pokemon is a change in game function. The update changed how the main game is played in terms of tracking

Players who clearly love the Pokemon name and this game went out of their way to take the source code the game uses with Google Map's API to create websites that track pokemon in your area when Pokemon GO's in game system was disabled do to instability issues. Niantic's CEO considered this cheating and handed out some cease and desist letters to these third party developers which shut them down. The crazy bit is you can cheat in this game like made through GPS Spoofing, but that hasn't been mentioned or corrected. This was their only communication to the player base since launch. What I presume to be the nail in the coffin was their latest update that removed the function to even see nearby pokemon, now making it totally rng based to even see your favorites or to run into specific pokemon.

Niantic Labs could go down in history by absolutely bombing a brand that sells itself. People should learn that some news, even bad is better than no news at all.

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD