IMPD officer shot

Docwagon

Tronic, its not terribly close to where I live, but its the same police department I work for.

The details, as I know them, are that he responded to a domestic, hears a woman screaming for help, once he's inside the apartment the male half shoots at him, they exchanged gun fire, and were both mortally wounded.

I do not know him personally, just in passing.

This is a bit dated, they've identified everyone now, but gives you the overview.

From the IMPD News – At approximately 1:52 am, officers with the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department (IMPD) were dispatched to the 6700 blk. of Eagle Pointe Dr. (Eagle Point Apartments) reference a disturbance. 

When the first arriving officer arrived, he heard screams for “help” from an unidentified woman who was inside an apartment. The officer fearing for the safety of this woman made entry. As the officer entered the apartment, gunshots were exchanged between the officer and the suspect and the officer was struck with gunfire. The officer was transported to Wishard Memorial Hospital in critical condition where he later died as a result of his injuries. The officer has been identified as 41-year-old Rod Bradway a 5-year veteran of the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department. Officer Bradway was a highly decorated officer having just been awarded the IMPD’s Medal of Bravery. Officer Bradway leaves a wife and two teenage children, and is from Nappanee, Indiana. 

"We have lost a true hero today in Officer Bradway…please keep his family and the IMPD family in your thoughts and prayers in the days and weeks that lie ahead” said IMPD Chief Rick Hite. 

Investigators have not yet identified the suspect who was also fatally shot and killed in the exchange of gunfire with police. Investigators are also working to ascertain the exact circumstances of the shooting, and have detained the woman, who was not injured, for questioning.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/local-news/slain-officer-rod-bradway-wife-delivered-pet-supplies-to-tornado-ravaged-oklahoma

NDIANAPOLIS - Officer Rod Bradway was among the many Indianapolis police officers who routinely give back to the community in other ways than just through his day-to-day job.

Bradway, who was killed Friday as he responded to a domestic disturbance call, and his wife organized an effort to gather and deliver pet supplies to in response to a devastating May 20 tornado in Moore, Okla.

Bradway's wife, Jamie Bradway, detailed the couple's efforts in a Department of Public Safety newsletter earlier this year.

During a three-day collection effort, thousands of pounds of supplies for displaced animals, including food, kennels, blankets, toys and veterinary supplies were gathered.

"When we arrived and they found out we had EVERYTHING under the sun for them, they were elated!" Jamie Bradway wrote. "They were so excited to learn that people all the way from Indianapolis cared so much!"

Jamie expressed that she and Rod were happy for the opportunity to help and for others support in gathering the pet supplies.

"Rod and I want to thank you all AGAIN for your INCREDIBLE GENEROSITY!!!" she wrote. "YOU have truly made a difference in the lives of so many families and so many lives."

He seemed like a great guy.

Im a little glad you didnt have the pleasure of knowing him.

Yes, its bad news, I feel bad, dont get me wrong.

Its just that you've already lost a friend recently in your line of work, it'd be very unfortunate to lose another so recently.

Ive heard cop killers get "special treatment" in prison.

I hope thats true.

DM9ON.png

He seemed like a great guy.

Im a little glad you didnt have the pleasure of knowing him.

Trust me, I am too.  Its hard enough to lose someone from your department, to know he bled out in the uniform you wore when you were on the street.  Its that much worse when you have to face losing a cop and a friend at the same time.  I can sort of stand back and offer a bit of advise to the guys going through it the first time, to point out it affects the spouses too, because they know it could just as easily have been their family suffering the loss, etc.

Its a tragedy, but I'm able to have that distance and am not so wrapped up in my own head like I was with Dave.

Deffo give them some advice.

It's a harrowing time for the affected, a sort of "guide" would no doubt be appreciated.

Not from me.  The chaplain's office and the POST team is better equipped and more personality suited for that sort of thing.  One of the detectives in my office is a classmate of his, though, so I've been keeping on eye on him and let him know he could talk to me if he wanted to.

That is just a tear jerker for sure man, wow.

Let me ask you this man maybe you can answer. There's times I do see two cops in a car together, most times during the day it seems here in Detroit...but why at times like evening/night DD calls are cops not sent with a partner? Seems most times here in the Detroit areas at night if a cop is called it's a lone officer, and seeing this where officer Bradway lost his life, it just seems if he had a partner/back up that this could have been prevented. I know maybe in Bradways case he was just responding to a DD call and thats the roll of the dice when your a cop, but I do see times here in my area where theres a call and I know the cops HAVE to know what they are responding to (Detroit, you know what I mean) yet only one crusier/cop shows up.

2nd officer took an AK-47 round to the leg. Suspect is shot 3 times but will survive.

Datte, I can't sleep and I'm cranky. Why don't you pony up the place to cheer me up?

Then enjoy this pony's psychotic break:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHy3ZhY9VKs

Not enough for you? Let me know.

I will turn this thread into a shining beacon of pony visible from space if it means cheering you up.

/Once you slip up and post a viable picture of yourself, I'm gonna ponify the living sh*t out of you.

DM9ON.png

That is just a tear jerker for sure man, wow.

Let me ask you this man maybe you can answer. There's times I do see two cops in a car together, most times during the day it seems here in Detroit...but why at times like evening/night DD calls are cops not sent with a partner? Seems most times here in the Detroit areas at night if a cop is called it's a lone officer, and seeing this where officer Bradway lost his life, it just seems if he had a partner/back up that this could have been prevented. I know maybe in Bradways case he was just responding to a DD call and thats the roll of the dice when your a cop, but I do see times here in my area where theres a call and I know the cops HAVE to know what they are responding to (Detroit, you know what I mean) yet only one crusier/cop shows up.

Efficiency, mostly.  A lot of police runs are one man runs.  Report runs where the crime has already occurred and the suspect is gone, simple traffic crashes, "see the complainant" where people just want advise or to ask a question, etc.  If you have two guys in one car, they are only able to get to half as many of those runs.

Indy is down about 500 officers from recommended staffing levels.  No way in hell we're going to double up in cars.

When you have enough officers and response times are reasonable you can stage and wait until another car gets there and then roll in together.  Bradway's backup was coming up the stairs as the original exchange of shots occurred.   It wouldn't have changed the outcome if he'd been right with him.  Bradway was shot as soon as he entered the door.