Geek Squad

Commander_Undies

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also suggest you ask for a little bit of help first. Given the number of people who have PCs you might saves yourself some money.

As far as Geek squad goes, they are competent (at least in Ottawa they are). They are expensive as mentioned however. 

I worked part time for them a few years ago for christmas.

By and large, they mean well, but they don't really know what they are doing and will RAPE you with random charges.

The main problem Geek Squad suffers from is you don't need to know computers to start with them. You could be a TV/ Stereo guy that was told to work on some macbook. Best Buy will train you, they have videos and tests and shit you have to pass to stay in Geek Squad. The problem is that the training is NOT the priority, and managers can grant extensions on training. So you end up focused on selling service plans with make Best Buy a ton of money, and help floor reps sell stuff, but you never really sit and take the tests or do the training.

It is really weird, I think Geek Squad was a really great service that got ruined when it "merged" with Best Buy, as they are now focused on making money and not fixing shit.

Honestly, I havne't shopped t Best buy since I worked there. 

So all that being said, post up your problems and the rest of us can attempt to help you

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

I took these videos and sent them to Dave, but I know he's been busy. It's doing the same thing it was doing when he got the PC. I wanted to try and get it fixed because I know he's been stressed, doesn't want to deal with it, and just sit down and play on it. So if one of you know what the problem is let me know and I'll go over and see if we can sort it together. But if you guys don't I'm just gonna see if some computer geek can figure it out.

If I need to dish out some money for anything, that's fine too. After all, it'll be his birthday.

https://vimeo.com/131351911

https://vimeo.com/131351939

https://vimeo.com/131351968

Listen to Tommy. Update the graphics first.

You had 2 applications which stream the video (LoL and Youtube). That could be the internet connection.

Try http://www.speedtest.net/to see if the speed meets your expectation and what you are paying for. 

Skyrim runs locally so it doesn't access internet, which leads me to believe it isn't an internet problem. Since the other two don't access disk much, that leads me to beleive it isn't a disk problem

Do you guys have a virus checker and popup blocker on the system. Some malware will slow down your computer in order to trick you into buying services to speed it up. You might want to run a Virus check to see if there is anything there. My ISP provides a Virus checker with the Services, maybe yours does also if you haven't got one installed.

Did you guys restart the machine? Sometimes windows updates need to be installed and that slows the machine and is a real pain in the ass

Listen to Tommy. Update the graphics first.

Do you guys have a virus checker and popup blocker on the system. 

Did you guys restart the machine?

Fuck yeah!  Listen to me :D  haha  I'm a computer wiz now!  

Malwarebytes is a good free anti-malware program.  AVG is a good anti-virus program that's free.  

The old turn it off, and back on again.  Fixes so many things :)   

I really think it just needs the graphics card updated.  Would he need to delete the old driver first?  Or, just update it? 

5abdbe250c715_RespectAll-FearNone.png.9bc1a4f0d1cdab1c7e67e48baf8275b4.png.63941b93d8c1d7bc3f9ca9f365076c45.png

I updated all the drivers, restarted the system and we have malwarebytes and Norton installed and there isn't a thing on it. Windows has updates but they are disabled, I don't know why. I think that was something Dave and Mike did together and it solved his problems for a period of time.

This is why we're stumped.

I don't know how much you know about computers I'll try to give you all the instructions here. I might miss a step so if it doesn't work let me know but try the following

Click the windows start Icon

Right click  computer then select properties

With your mouse click on the windows experience Index

Then click on adjust visual Graphics. 

I don't have somewhere to upload the my image right now so I can't show you what it looks like. Wish I could simply paste an image but I can't it seems 

See what the index says. It should be pretty good for that graphics card if I remember correctly

I don't know how much you know about computers I'll try to give you all the instructions here. I might miss a step so if it doesn't work let me know but try the following

Click the windows start Icon

Right click  computer then select properties

With your mouse click on the windows experience Index

Then click on adjust visual Graphics. 

I don't have somewhere to upload the my image right now so I can't show you what it looks like. Wish I could simply paste an image but I can't it seems 

See what the index says. It should be pretty good for that graphics card if I remember correctly

I'll try it out now.

Edit: It said "The Windows Experience index for your system could not be computed. Could not measure video playback performance."

Get rid of Norton

Grab Avast

norton is shit, honestly

I used to use AVG but my brother keeps buying Norton so I feel like in order to get the moneys worth I just install it on mine. Even though I've tried reasoning with him. However, i'll uninstall it and install Avast if you think that it can find something that Norton can't.

tumblr_m2ienvKRMM1qfbvj1.gif

I updated all the drivers, restarted the system and we have malwarebytes and Norton installed and there isn't a thing on it. Windows has updates but they are disabled, I don't know why. I think that was something Dave and Mike did together and it solved his problems for a period of time.

This is why we're stumped.

I can't even remember clearly anymore why we did that. I think because Windows 7 was pirated that it won't allow me to update? I can't even remember. Could that be the problem? Because I can always just go with Sam and buy a new OS.

Couple of things spring to mind here, wish you could just send it to me, but since thats not really an option do this.

Go here, http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html 

grab that and install it, let it run and post the results or email them to me.

Next, press the windows button and R a the same time to bring up Run, and then type in DXdiag.

Save the results to file, and post them or email them.

Worse comes to worse, we can get some sort of Team viewer going and fix you that way.

There are a few things that could be causing this issue, but lets start with the basics for now. Also post the make and model of it. This might be an age issue to be honest

That being said, if this was my laptop, then here is what I would do.

Get anything off of it you might possibly want.  (Pictures, documents, etc.. Not actual programs)

Go buy windows 8.

also download a copy of Ubuntu, its free

Burn Ubuntu to dvd, install it and have it wipe EVERYTHING

Once its finished, Install Windows 8, and have it wipe everything.

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Couple of things spring to mind here, wish you could just send it to me, but since thats not really an option do this.

Go here, http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html 

grab that and install it, let it run and post the results or email them to me.

Next, press the windows button and R a the same time to bring up Run, and then type in DXdiag.

Save the results to file, and post them or email them.

Worse comes to worse, we can get some sort of Team viewer going and fix you that way.

There are a few things that could be causing this issue, but lets start with the basics for now. Also post the make and model of it. This might be an age issue to be honest

That being said, if this was my laptop, then here is what I would do.

Get anything off of it you might possibly want.  (Pictures, documents, etc.. Not actual programs)

Go buy windows 8.

also download a copy of Ubuntu, its free

Burn Ubuntu to dvd, install it and have it wipe EVERYTHING

Once its finished, Install Windows 8, and have it wipe everything.

Here is the DXdiag:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2643i8kjdpz3d2e/DxDiag.txt?dl=0

I did Belarc Advisor, how do I share it?

I have a GTX660, 8 gb of RAM, and a FX6300.

It's not old, that's why this is all so baffling. The screen is tearing and the frames are messy.