What's wrong with my PS3?

Palle

For at least a year and a half now but probably longer, my PS3 Slim 120GB (purchased late 2011) has been making this loud screeching noise every now and then. I don't know if it's the HDD or the bluray making it, though I'm guessing the hard drive. It's been more frequent lately.

The noise mostly starts when the console has been idling for a while or when I leave Netflix paused, never when playing games.

There are slight variations in the duration and frequency, sometimes it won't make any noise at all for several hours or days. I haven't notice any change in performance or errors when using the PS3.

Been looking around the internet for answers or people who have the same problem but found nothing so far. Except for this being annoying and scaring the shit out of me at times (it's loud) I'm worried that one day the console will suddenly fail and I'll lose all my games and stuff.

I managed to catch it today by leaving my phone recording on top of the console for ten minutes. Here's a link to it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/l5im4uvt88n4jxm/Record_0074.mp3?dl=0

Hopefully you guys can identify it for me and let me know what to do!

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check the fan

I have read that some of them are crap, and if you leave it sit idle for a bit, it might be overheating, and causing the fan to speed up, which would make the screech

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

I did. It didn't sound that way to me, but to be fair I am fighting a cold and my hearing is shit right now. 

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

If you haven't already done it, I would suggest backing up everything that is important to you. I'm guilty of not doing that I'm afraid but I found this for you if you need it

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/7378/playstation-3-backup-ps3-using-the-backup-and-data-transfer-utilities/

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

I got nothin'. Sounds almost like an old-school dot matrix printer. Based on just the noise, I say it has something to do with the mechanisms that draw in and spin the disc, but doesn't seem like that fits with what you've observed.

If you decide to put your dick in crazy, be ready to change your phone number and relocate.