Am I playing Mass Effect wrong?

So, I got the trilogy about a week or so ago, started with the first game and... well, I enjoy it but.... am I playing it wrong?

My weapons are fairly good, or atleast I think they are (I can't tell), but my armor is still the same basic armor, if I'm not mistaken. I have a stronger piece of armor but I can't equip it, and the other ones I have are weaker.

I can die fairly easily considering I only have one shield, so I'm not sure if I just suck at the game or I'm just playing wrong.

I need some clarification, even if it is just opinion based.

-Note: I'm already a Spectre and I have about three/four story missions pending. I remember being told that I was supposed to go to training right after the cutscene of becoming a Spectre, but I just headed to the docking bay. Did I miss anything according to gameplay that might aid me in making me....decent?

my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic-brony

For starters, what class are you playing? That will somewhat dictate your most effective playstyle. It also has an impact on your armor options. What difficulty are you on?

We'll get you sorted.

If you decide to put your dick in crazy, be ready to change your phone number and relocate.

For starters, what class are you playing? That will somewhat dictate your most effective playstyle. It also has an impact on your armor options. What difficulty are you on?

We'll get you sorted.

Class......? Shieet..... I dunno.... I either forgot, or I just don't know. It's a little hard for me to remember some of the names and general things about Mass Effect for me for some reason. I'm on normal difficulty though.

You cant really run and gun in this game, its a bit more tactical.

It doesnt help that the UI is a bit confusing to understand. x)

Once you find out your class, we can help you from there. :)

/Dont worry, its alot more streamlined in ME2 and 3. xD

DM9ON.png

You cant really run and gun in this game, its a bit more tactical.

It doesnt help that the UI is a bit confusing to understand. x)

Once you find out your class, we can help you from there. :)

/Dont worry, its alot more streamlined in ME2 and 3. xD

Yeah, I figured it was tactical. I guess I'm just so used to Dead Space and Borderlands where it's like "Eh, screw you, here have some acid to da face!"

I guess I just need to be patient, which I'm....eh at. I'll get back at this when I figure out my class...

BTW about the whole Spectre training thing. Was that actually something, or is it just "Go to the docking bay and leave"?

Yeah, I figured it was tactical. I guess I'm just so used to Dead Space and Borderlands where it's like "Eh, screw you, here have some acid to da face!"

I guess I just need to be patient, which I'm....eh at. I'll get back at this when I figure out my class...

BTW about the whole Spectre training thing. Was that actually something, or is it just "Go to the docking bay and leave"?

No you actually get some benefits from it.

Check your skill tree.

DM9ON.png

Headed off to bed, will be back tomorrow with some tips. I just completed ME1 on Insanity difficulty using a Soldier, so no worries about your class being under powered.

If you decide to put your dick in crazy, be ready to change your phone number and relocate.

Can you aim down with all gun types?

If so, you are. x)

Headed off to bed, will be back tomorrow with some tips. I just completed ME1 on Insanity difficulty using a Soldier, so no worries about your class being under powered.

There are a total of four gun types right? Sniper, Assault Rifle, Pistol and Shotgun, right? Yes, I can aim down with all of them.

Thanks JsinOwl and Datte, I'm a bit more confident that I'm not playing it wrong and that I just need some getting used to the game.

There are a total of four gun types right? Sniper, Assault Rifle, Pistol and Shotgun, right? Yes, I can aim down with all of them.

Thanks JsinOwl and Datte, I'm a bit more confident that I'm not playing it wrong and that I just need some getting used to the game.

Yep, you're a Soldier.

You can use all gun types and use Heavy armor (provided you have the nessecary training).

Raise your Paragon or Renegade levels as high as they can ("either or", not both)!

The universe literally depends on it! :o

/Still waiting for your ppr. x)

DM9ON.png

I'm back...

Here's some advice, do with it as you will.

There are a shit-ton of short (non-combat) missions available on the Citadel. You should complete ALL of these. It's an easy way to boost your level and get more upgrade points to spend. Along the same lines, once you start exploring the galaxy (and assuming you're not averse to a little grinding) thoroughly explore each planet you land on, explore all planets and asteroid belts. You're looking for Matriarch writings, minerals, Turian insignias and League of One medallions. Every time you find one nets you XP, and finding 'x' amount of them completes an assignment which gives you another XP bump. These are things you can do without actually fighting. Also, explore every room and make sure to find all the available loot. Hacking containers is easy XP.

Don't invest in Pistols or Shotguns. Funnel points into Assault Rifle and Sniper Rifle training. Pistols are pointless in comparison and shotguns are best left to classes with high levels of the Barrier and Immunity powers.

Don't invest in FIrst Aid, leave that to your squad members, only one person on the squad needs to have the ability for everyone to get the benefit.

As Datte said, you want eventually max out either your Charm or Intimidate, not both.

The first things you should upgrade are:

Assault Rifles to Rank 8 (unlocks Snipers and Advanced Overkill)

Sniper Rifles to Rank 3 (unlocks Assassination)

Combat Armor to Rank 7 (unlocks Heavy Armor)

Assault Training to Rank 3 (unlocks Adrenaline Burst and Fitness)

FItness to Rank 4 (unlocks Immunity)

Either Charm or Intimidate

Horde everything you find and sell what you don't need.

Buy the Spectre Master Gear Assault Rifle as soon as you can, either from the shop in C-Sec or the dude on the Normandy.

In addition to pumping up First Aid in one of your squad mates, make sure you have someone with a high Decryption score with you at all times. This will allow you to hack into all the various locked containers you'll come across.

SPAM YOUR POWERS. Bring up the power wheel to stop the action and use those powers. You should be using overkill whenever it's available, use shield boost as soon as your shields go down, use Immunity whenever it's available. And when something is recharging but you need to use it, use Adrenaline burst. Use those powers!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Make liberal use of cover. Soldiers do not charge into battle. Take advantage of your powerful weapons by attacking from cover and from a distance.

When in the Mako, get used to using its 'hop' ability to jump missiles.

If you explore a lot and do all the side missions, you'll find the game gets radically easier as you go. By the end you'll be an unstoppable steamroller of destruction.

Mother of god......(in a good way)

Well, from what I know right now, my charm and intimidate are about the same points (three or four, so I screwed up on that already; or one is one unit higher than the other) .

Snipers and Assault rifles, alright. Personally, I love using my shotgun, but at the same time my assault rifle's pretty good, so I use that a lot also.

However, if I'm not mistaken, I need to contunue to put units into the pistol in order to get the Sniper option.

Yeah, I think I just suck at the game. My first time getting into the Mako (Out of the, what, four, three story missions given after becoming a spectre, I traveled to Noveria) I died....probably way more than I should have.... I died probably about twenty times or more..... yeah....

Then, when I finally got into peak 15 I died.... probably about ten or more times in the first room....

I'm pretty sure I'm just bad, so I'll see which missions to do to gain more xp for levels. I probably won't do them all, considering when it comes to side quests in any game (besides Borderlands and Majora's Mask) I always seem to miss out on them, and I don't want to look anything up (walkthrough/LP) when I play this, so, there's that.

Bedsides that though, I'm really enjoying the game and how fast paced it could be.

Datte, thanks for the reccomendation, and Owl, thanks for the useful advice!

I never actually used the cover system, found it to be too hard to use. I just stood behind stuff and peeked around a corner when I wanted to shoot.

With the Mako, keep an eye on your shields and don't be afraid to park in a safe corner to let them recharge. Another Mako tip, save often!

Don't be afraid to start over with a new character. If you really like shotguns, then Vanguard is the class you want. That class is a shit ton of fun.

I definitely recommend getting your level up before tackling the story missions.

However, if I'm not mistaken, I need to contunue to put units into the pistol in order to get the Sniper option.

I don't remember well, old am I, but according to the wiki, points in assault rifles unlocks snipers and points in pistols unlocks shotguns.

Like I just mentioned, it's a long game, you've only just started, don't hesitate to try the different classes before deciding which one to go all the way with. Half the fun is exploring and doing side missions, don't short change yourself by just blasting through the story missions.

Make sure to keep your weapons equipped with the latest and greatest upgrades you find. Be sure to switch ammo types depending on the enemy.

Tungsten vs Synthetics (geth)

Shredder vs Organics (anything that breathes)

For weapons with two upgrade slots, I generally use

Heat Sink/Frictionless Materials and Tungsten/Shredder ammo

If there is a third slot, I add High Caliber Barrel/Rail Extension/Scram Rail

If you change squad members a lot, remember to de-equip them before ending a mission (or you can do it from the weapon lockers in the bowels of the Normandy). Otherwise they hang on to their equipment even when not on a mission, making it unavailable to whichever other squad members you take with you.

Soldier or Sentinel are by far the best "Run and Gun" classes in the game. So if thats your playstyle, then restart IMO.

Pretty much everything Jsin posted is spot on. One thing I will add is that the Order you do missions, as well as the people you take on those missions will vary what your outcome greatly.

I ended up using Garrus for about 80% of the game, Tali for about 50%, Wrex (??? Damn Krogun, can't remember their names) for about 50%, and then the others as needed.

Always look for the Colossus armor types. They are expensive as hell, but worth it, beating out even the Spectre gear.

I dont' remember what weapon manufacterers I used.

I've done 4 play throughs so far in ME1 and 2. Adept, Vanguard, Soldier, and Sentinel. The only ones I enjoyed were Soldier and Sentinel, mainly as I love the Run and Gun gameplay. Sentinel is by far the best for this, as those Shields ARE AWESOME!

I will dig through my wifes laptop when I get home, at one point she created a spread sheet for ME1 and 2 that listed every quest, every quest giver, and what order you needed to do all of it in to unlock everything. If I still have it, I will share it for you guys.

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Soldier or Sentinel are by far the best "Run and Gun" classes in the game. So if thats your playstyle, then restart IMO.

Pretty much everything Jsin posted is spot on. One thing I will add is that the Order you do missions, as well as the people you take on those missions will vary what your outcome greatly.

I ended up using Garrus for about 80% of the game, Tali for about 50%, Wrex (??? Damn Krogun, can't remember their names) for about 50%, and then the others as needed.

Always look for the Colossus armor types. They are expensive as hell, but worth it, beating out even the Spectre gear.

I dont' remember what weapon manufacterers I used.

I've done 4 play throughs so far in ME1 and 2. Adept, Vanguard, Soldier, and Sentinel. The only ones I enjoyed were Soldier and Sentinel, mainly as I love the Run and Gun gameplay. Sentinel is by far the best for this, as those Shields ARE AWESOME!

I will dig through my wifes laptop when I get home, at one point she created a spread sheet for ME1 and 2 that listed every quest, every quest giver, and what order you needed to do all of it in to unlock everything. If I still have it, I will share it for you guys.

Thanks for the added advice.

I had a feeling I'd be using Tahli, Wrex and Garrus a lot.

Asked my wife about the spreadsheet last night. She is looking for it, she doens't remember deleting it, but doesn't remember keeping it once we were done either.

'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Asked my wife about the spreadsheet last night. She is looking for it, she doens't remember deleting it, but doesn't remember keeping it once we were done either.

She can't find it anymore, which means it was most likely on her old laptop.