What do you guys think? (MP3 player)

Drifter

Looking at a new MP3 player for my Nephew for Christmas because his he's had for 10 yrs is dying on him. He's like I am and not a fan of anything Apple so I'm searching for non Apple (no Ipod) mp3 players. I myself just have a cheap old one so I don;t know a ton about them but I found this Sony 16gb one which seems like it has a lot of nice features on sale at Best Buy. You guys mind taking a look at this and seeing what you think about it for me

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-nwz-e380-series-walkman-16gb-video-mp3-player-black/1695481.p?id=1219060667469&skuId=1695481

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't know much about Sony MP3 players and their functions. I've heard that sound quality is not very good. Most of the people who dislike are into audiophile stuff though...

Is your nephew a casual listener or picky about sound quality?

If sound matters, I suggest checking out Cowon and FiiO.

Both brands have good reputation for their sound quality and they don't cost too much

http://www.head-fi.org/products/fiio-x1-ultraportable-hi-res-dap

http://www.cowonglobal.com

I'd say he's more of a casual listener than anything else. I know he is a bit picky about some things though and anytime he buys himself any new electronic device he always spends a lot of time reading reviews and doing research. So I'd say he's somewhere between casual listener and picky.

I've always liked Sony for my own personal audio equipment. Never had a Sony MP3 Player but I do have two Sony surround sound systems and love them. I'm not totally dead set on it having to be Sony for his MP3 player though. I do need to keep the cost at $75 or less since I already have him many other items. And it has to be 16GB size too since I think that's what his old one was.

I don't think their is a huge difference between devices. It's all the same semiconductors being used anyways. The difference would be in the earphones and the application to download the music. Most of them have a relatively short shelf life anyways

I have and iPhone so I can't comment too much outside of Apple gear

I recall looking into these a few years ago and one thing I wanted was that it play FLAC files, which is an open source lossless audio format. The files are much bigger than MP3 files, but they're still a lot smaller than uncompressed CD audio but without any loss of fidelity. Gives you a more portable format for your CD collection. Then again if you're buying most of your music online, that doesn't really matter. I just wanted to be able to "archive" my CDs.

If you decide to put your dick in crazy, be ready to change your phone number and relocate.