Ford's new aluminum truck bodies

Docwagon

I'm curious as to how well they'll hold up over sheet steel, but a 700 lb drop in weight is nothing to sneeze at.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/ford-aluminum-f-150-truck-more-gas-efficient-2014-11-22

The manufacturing is pretty efficient as well:

http://blog.caranddriver.com/fords-aluminum-recycling-plan-saves-nearly-125-on-every-2015-f-150/

I'll be driving my Ram for many, many years to come but the F-150 was my runner up choice.  It'll be interesting to see what pickups look like in 8-10 years.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aluminum bodies hold up pretty well. Truth be told it's not really anything new. Ford used an all aluminum body starting as far back at 1962 with the Shelby Cobra's, and Pontiac used some front end sheet metal on some of the old factory race car Catalina's that were aluminum as well back in the early 60's. I'm wondering what that will do to the cost though.

"Aluminum" :P

Some manufacturers have been doing this for decades, it's lovely. It's one of the biggest reasons Audis are so popular along the coast of South Africa, their aluminium bodies are very corrosion resistant.

And a 700lb drop? That's worth it alone!

banlol.png

Wow that actually not that bad at all. I was expecting it to add at least twice that to the cost.

So did the car bloggers before Ford announced new pricing.  Fords process turned out to be more efficient than outsiders expected.  All the trucks went up, but how much depends on trim level and most of it is due to more standard equipment, not the aluminum body.  The base truck only increased MSRP by $395.

It takes more energy to process aluminum compared to steel; meaning more pollution! :o

I'm not really a truck guy but don't you want more weight in a truck, or does it depend on its purpose? Like a Heavy Duty trucks drive like absolute shit until its weighed down with a load, and people put extra weight in their beds in winter to increase traction. Does dropping the weight mean you'll have to add extra weight in the bed effectively making the weight loss pointless? If this was used in a 454SS or other race truck application it would make sense to me but for a work truck it seems awkward unless you're one of those dudes who needs an F350 dually as a daily driver and an aluminum frame is going to give you better fuel economy. :lol:

jpw_tyrannosaurus-rex_zpscpttjstm.jpg

'm not really a truck guy but don't you want more weight in a truck, or does it depend on its purpose? Like a Heavy Duty trucks drive like absolute shit until its weighed down with a load, and people put extra weight in their beds in winter to increase traction. Does dropping the weight mean you'll have to add extra weight in the bed effectively making the weight loss pointless? If this was used in a 454SS or other race truck application it would make sense to me but for a work truck it seems awkward unless you're one of those dudes who needs an F350 dually as a daily driver and an aluminum frame is going to give you better fuel economy

It depends on the application. During the winter when you're driving on snow or plowing then extra weight in the truck bed over the rear wheels helps traction because a pick up is naturally lighter in the ass end due to the bed of the truck being empty/lighter than the front. For your everyday truck owner that drives his truck to and from work every day, and to and from the store and only hauls things on the weekend, then the lighter weight will be a bonus because it will not only get better gas mileage but also a lighter curb weight vehicle is actually easier on the drivetrain parts. So your brakes, bearings, axles, shocks, springs, ring & pinion, motor, trans, transfer case, all that stuff will last longer because it is not having to carry around as much weight.

Heavy duty trucks drive poorly when they are not loaded down because they are equipped from the factory with higher spring rate springs and shocks that are set up to cushion more weight. So basically they are set up to support a full load since they are designed to carry heavy loads since that's what the HD trucks will usually be used for most. I haven't seen which truck models will have the aluminum bodies but I would guess most likely it'll be the 1/2 ton models and I would think the HD 3/4ton and 1ton models would probably keep the standard steel body.

It takes more energy to process aluminum compared to steel; meaning more pollution!

But the fuel economy increase would offset any added pollution in the build process. A lighter truck is going to use less fuel over the course of it's life on the road and less fuel demand means less pollution.

It depends on the application. During the winter when you're driving on snow or plowing then extra weight in the truck bed over the rear wheels helps traction because a pick up is naturally lighter in the ass end due to the bed of the truck being empty/lighter than the front. For your everyday truck owner that drives his truck to and from work every day, and to and from the store and only hauls things on the weekend, then the lighter weight will be a bonus because it will not only get better gas mileage but also a lighter curb weight vehicle is actually easier on the drivetrain parts. So your brakes, bearings, axles, shocks, springs, ring & pinion, motor, trans, transfer case, all that stuff will last longer because it is not having to carry around as much weight.

Heavy duty trucks drive poorly when they are not loaded down because they are equipped from the factory with higher spring rate springs and shocks that are set up to cushion more weight. So basically they are set up to support a full load since they are designed to carry heavy loads since that's what the HD trucks will usually be used for most. I haven't seen which truck models will have the aluminum bodies but I would guess most likely it'll be the 1/2 ton models and I would think the HD 3/4ton and 1ton models would probably keep the standard steel body.

But the fuel economy increase would offset any added pollution in the build process. A lighter truck is going to use less fuel over the course of it's life on the road and less fuel demand means less pollution.

Thanks, thats what I figured. I know first hand about the heavy duty setup. I drove an '84 Chevy heavy duty dually for a day. Hit a bump head bangs the roof take a turn snap your neck off. :lol: With a load it drove like a Cadillac.

There are a ton of variables across cars/trucks but "The EPA says that for every 100 pounds taken out of the vehicle, the fuel economy is increased by 1-2 percent." So if these new Fords are getting 10% better fuel economy 8 MPG city goes to 8.8. Almost another MPG! :lol: This also might suggest the percentage of pollution it wont be producing is not greater than or equal to the amount of pollution being produced in order to manufacture the body.

Another thing. My WRX has an Aluminum hood. It's dented from hail. If its a work truck can these bodies take the abuse or will they be ripped to shreds? This is all very interesting to me.

jpw_tyrannosaurus-rex_zpscpttjstm.jpg

Another thing. My WRX has an Aluminum hood. It's dented from hail. If its a work truck can these bodies take the abuse or will they be ripped to shreds? This is all very interesting to me.

I'm going to guess that the trucks are most likely going to use a bit thicker gauge aluminum than the WRX hood. The WRX is views as more of a sport / performance type care so they probably use as light a gauge as they can for that. I'd venture a guess that the trucks will have a thicker gauge most likely. That's just a guess on my part but I would think that would most likely be the case.

This also might suggest the percentage of pollution it wont be producing is not greater than or equal to the amount of pollution being produced in order to manufacture the body.

Yep but keep in mind that you are only looking at the pollution created from the truck itself. You also have to factor in the fact that overall these trucks will be lessening the demand for oil/fuel consumption. So you have less oil being refined which = less pollution.

Trucks today have a much more sophisticated suspension than the solid axle leaf spring '84 GMC.  My last Super Duty rode pretty smooth empty or loaded, and my new Ram rides like a Lincoln.

The weight in the bed for snow traction isn't really about overall weight.  It's about weight distribution.  Empty pickups are nose heavy, balancing that out helps with traction to get moving.

The interior of the bed is still steel.  If you're beating up your quarter panels on a job site, they're going to look like cottage cheese ass no matter what they are made of.  Most dually fenders are plastic or fiberglass.  That part of the bed isn't made to take licks like the interior is.

1/2 ton trucks ride pretty smooth these days, 3/4 ton aren't too bad but 1ton's have a good deal of ridged ride to them still though but that's just the nature of the beast when you have a truck that is geared towards hauling. IFS has helped over the years but they still have solid leaf sprung rears so hard to get away from a bit of a rough ride in the rear especially when you get into the 6-7 leaf packs of the HD models. Although some of the trucks that have air rides in them are flat out awesome for ride quality and hauling.

Although I do agree the trucks these days do ride like a Cadillac when compared to the trucks of old. I've always been a truck guy and have owned 8 different blazers 2 GMC pick ups and a dodge pick up all from 1972-1985 and most of them I had 6"-10" of suspension lift with 38.5" to 44" tires on. Nothing will bruise your ribs quite like a 10" lifted short wheel base blazer skipping down the rode on some 39" Ground Hawgs  :lol: I'll have to see if I can find some of my old pics of that Blazer, you guys would probably like seeing that truck it was a blast to wheel in.