New camera (and gratuitous water park photos)

Docwagon

During our first trip to the water park (Holiday World) this year, our waterproof camera became un-waterproof and died a horrible death in the wave pool.  It was a Kodak, which has since went bankrupt, and couldn't be replaced.  Amazon was cool enough to refund our money despite it being 11 months old since the warranty was no longer good.

After much weeping and gnashing of teeth, I opened up my wallet wide enough to buy an actually good camera.  This is the first digital camera I've spent more than $100 on, and its fantastically fantastic.  The Olympus TG-3 "tough" camera:  http://www.getolympus.com/us/en/tg-3.html

Yes, its the sexy red color.  Not only is it waterpoof with a built in GPS, it also has its own wi-fi.  With the wi-fi you can import pictures directly to your smartphone and upload them AND you can use your smart phone as a remote control.  Your phone will show you what the camera sees (although in a low resolution) and let you take the picture from a button on your phone.  It makes being in your own group photos really simple without having to use a timer.

The pictures it takes are very crisp and the auto detect setting knows if its above water or under, how close, the lighting, etc.  I've yet to have red eye in a photo, which was a constant issue with the Kodak.

1902709_708959035853280_5320229158397103

10313944_708959032519947_88296412401981210262028_708959169186600_110794858540259

As long as you let it "warm up" for 10-15 seconds before you start taking pictures, it will embed GPS info in it as well, and the included software will show your photos on a world map. It's pretty sweet.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice, waterproof camera's are awesome. I take ours out when I snorkel and get some sweet photos.

I suffer from the, take lots of digital pictures but never upload or print them syndrome though.

BEARDED, FOR HER PLEASURE

Nice, waterproof camera's are awesome. I take ours out when I snorkel and get some sweet photos.

I suffer from the, take lots of digital pictures but never upload or print them syndrome though.

Meijer's is where I normally print them.  Put them on a memory stick, put it in their machine, and 15 minutes later they are ready.  That's barely enough time to put lacy undies on the mannequins' heads.

My buddy has that same camera he used for fishing trip. It's a great little camera you're gonna love it doc.

On a side yet similar note, I have about a 10 yr old Nikon point & shoot I take on fishing trips with me because I don;t want to take a chance on ruining my good Canon SLR. So I keep the little Nikon in my fishing vest pocket. Well over the weekend I was taking it out to snap a pic of a fish and I dropped the damn thing in the river. I grabbed it immediately but the whole camera was actually in the water for a good 1-2 seconds. Would you believe it never missed a beat, no problems at all (it's not a waterproof camera either). Just blew my mind I expected to see smoke coming out of it when I pushed it on lol

The camera took about 360 photos, was left on for several hours to keep the GPS active, and wasn't charged at all during the week.  It was in the red at the end of the vacation, but performed fantastically.  The ability to take pictures using the smart phone as a remote was great for getting everyone in the picture.