spectre

I'm kind of late to the party. I think there have been 3-4 episodes know. What do you guys think? I liked the show better when it wasn't so much of a serial. Go kill a monster see ya next week with another monster. I like the humor in the show a lot. My wife likes Dean.

The Cass character has always been pretty solid. They do a real good job with that character

I think my favorite episode is the one they travel into to "real" world to discover they are actual actors in a TV series and back story was about the actors relationships. The scene where Dean is watching himself as Jensen as a soap opera star was really funny.

I actually like the mythology of it (ongoing stories).  Monsters of the week are ok, but they start to get repetitive. Fighting Ghosts for example.

That Meta episode was really funny though, especially the soap opera part. 

Did you get that in season 5, the prophet was implied to be God? The guy that wrote all those books.

Keep calm and question nothing.

Yes, at the very last episode of the season. 

What I usually don't like about ongoing stories is

1. It takes too many episodes to get going 
  2. I don't have time and travel a lot so I miss a number of them and then that sucks for the rest of the series
  3. If the topic is not of interest it makes for a crappy season. I thought the leviaton story-line sucked so the entire season was a bummer for me. 

I actually enjoyed the storybook storyline and the angels and demons storyline.

The other thing that good/bad about the series is that they don't mind killing off a principal character. If you like the character it kind of sucks but it makes the investment in the series a bit more realistic. 

It think that's one of the few scripted shows we watch. Most of the stuff is news/documentaries  and amazing race. 

I agree, the Leviathan's were not handled very well. I loved the character of Dick Roman though and especially all the Dick jokes.  "Dick's coming"  "That's what happens when you stand next to an exploding Dick" lol 

It makes total sense too that some people just can't catch every single episode.  I have read in interview that they try to emulate a certain movie type for each season. For example, last season was the trials and that was sort of set up like an Indiana Jones.  Other example would be a fetch quest.  This season, they have said it will be like an ensemble similar to Game of Thrones. Many threads that are separate be are interconnected overall.  I'm interested in the Bartholomew angel and what is going on with him collecting vessels for angels.

I think serialized shows take the biggest risk, because its not easy for new viewers to get into them, but if they are a hit, I think they actually do better once they get their following.  Breaking Bad is an example. It ended up with 10 million viewers on the finale.  Lost is another one.  Heroes was good as well. Until season 3 stinker anyway.

So having supernatural be semi-serialized kind of capitalizes on both aspects.

damn, last episode (#9) was insane.  Details in spoiler tag

war between the angels, Sam possessed by an angel that is now teamed up with Metatron, kevin gets killed, and Castiel gets his grace back! Damn, I'm loving this season. Best in a long time

It was a great episode. The balance of story and monster of the week is being handled well with the ever present threat of Angels throughout.

In the very beginning of the episode I was asking myself how in the hell Angels entered Bikers when that bible beater woman got burned up, but then the show explained it to me which I appreciate! :lol:

Sam's angel being Gadriel is interesting!  :ph34r: It was sad to see Kevin smote but it’s been explained when one dies another one pops up. I liked him suggesting Metatron made parts of the angel tablet illegible. Possibly the parts on how to undo what he’s done?

Glad Castiel got his juice back! I think the whole experience of him being human, getting lucky and regaining his grace will make him a better leader. Maybe the show falls back on him leading Angels?

Questions I’m left with for the future. Bartholomew and Malachi both want to rule Heaven but they don’t know how to get back to Heaven so what’s the point? Heaven on earth with subservient humans?

Also if you search Gadriel in wiki Azazel pops up. Azazel is the Yellow-Eyed Demon in Supernatural land!!! Ooooooooo! :o

jpw_tyrannosaurus-rex_zpscpttjstm.jpg

Oh really? Has Gadriel popped up on the show in the past then? If so, I don't recall. I remember Azazel though.

It was a nice balance for Castiel to get his mojo back since they are gonna need him now that they've lost Sam to the evil side. 

I was happy to see Kevin go. Actually, I was quite surprised to see him on this episode since he's been gone for awhile.  He was really only used as a plot device for a long time with zero character development. He would have been more interesting if he was turned into a permanent bat cave bobby or something.  But I never really liked him anyway. He was right though, trust Dean and get screwed, big time. lol. 

Oh really? Has Gadriel popped up on the show in the past then? If so, I don't recall. I remember Azazel though.

Nah... After googlein' it they aren't the same in the show.

In the CW hit series "Supernatural", a demon named Azazel is the main antagonist in seasons one and two, whom the main characters begin hunting to seek revenge for the death of their mother. However, the name is not mentioned until season three, after his death, and prior to this he was usually called the Yellow-Eyed Demon. Later revelations show that Azazel's plan involved releasing Lucifer from his cage and creating a demonic army. Like all other demons in the show, Azazel was once human, but had likely forgotten it due to his time in Hell. In the 9th episode of the 9th season of Supernatural it is revealed that the Angel possessing Sam Winchester is Gadriel, another name for the biblical Azazel. Gadriel is in no way linked to the Yellow-Eyed Demon that appeared earlier in the series. Gadriel seems to be more akin to the biblical Azazel as it is revealed that Gadriel was punished as a scapegoat for allowing the snake to enter the Garden of Eden.

via

Actually had he trusted Dean and kept his mouth shut Dean's plan might have worked. Gadriel knew of the plan because he overheard Kevin talk. He was already dispatched to kill Kevin so trusting Dean wasn't what got him killed. 

I'm glad Cas is back in the game. The human thing was fun for a while but going nowhere. 

I think they are going to end up using Crowley somehow. I like this season much better than last 

I agree, this season is the best since season 5.  I can't wait for Crowley to jump in somehow. He's been sidelined for 9 episodes. It's time.

The human Cas got every story beat done, he got laid, got drunk and almost rose to upper management, lol

I dug up some news for you guys.

‘Supernatural’ casts ‘Psych’ favorite for hellish role

By Caitlin Kelly (@purplehrdwonder) at 9:00 am, November 6, 2013 | Reviewed by Lexxie Ehrenkaufer

Supernatural-season-9-Tim-Omundson.jpg
  •  

Supernatural has cast Psych favorite Tim Omundson for a season 9 role.

News first broke about Omundson’s casting via Twitter when the actor confirmed that he will be on the show:

As if this news couldn’t get any more exciting, E! Online reveals that Omundson will be playing none other than Cain of Cain and Abel.

This news comes on the heels of the reveal that Supernatural would be introducing a retired demon who used to train the Knights of Hell.

This demon — Cain, as you may have guessed — was known as the Father of Murder, though he quit his wicked ways for love. However, E! hints that Cain, who will be introduced in an episode titled “First Born,” may be sticking around for a while to complicate things.

Considering Supernatural‘s love of brotherly stories, the Cain and Abel tale is an obvious choice. However, Supernatural always puts a unique spin on popular lore, so we’ll be curious to see how the writers spin the Biblical story.

In the hands of fan favorite writer Robbie Thompson, though, it’s bound to be good.

Supernatural airs Tuesdays at 9:00 p.m. ET on The CW.

and more news

‘Supernatural’ EP teases an ‘umoored’ Dean, returning ‘beloved’ characters

By Caitlin Kelly (@purplehrdwonder) at 9:00 pm, December 19, 2013 | Reviewed by Karen Rought

Supernatural-season-9-mid-season-spoiler

Supernatural executive producer Jeremy Carver previews what fans can expect in the back half of season 9. Beware of spoilers ahead.

Carver recently spoke with EW about the show’s return in 2014.

Kevin’s death

According to Carver, the fan favorite prophet really is dead after the shocking mid-season finale. “I know it’s going to hurt,” he says. “With any luck, being Supernatural, there will be a way to perhaps see him sometime down the line, but it’s with a very heavy heart that we see Kevin be murdered.”

As for how Kevin’s death will affect the story moving forward, Carver specifically points to the impact on Dean, who “finds himself, I think, a bit unmoored by this with really no one but himself to blame. And as we know, Dean’s go-to is blaming himself anyway. And the fact that he’s right this time, hits him hard.”

Dean will “do whatever it takes to track down this angel and eject him from Sam. And that’s going to lead him to making alliances that he never thought he’d be forced to make. But he’ll do anything, basically, to try to right what he, I guess, considers one of the biggest mistakes he’s ever made.”

The angel formerly known as Ezekiel

When season 9 picks up “[w]e’ve got Sam who’s being possessed and essentially taken over by Gadreel, an angel who’s done this horrible thing,” Carver says. “And we’re going to reveal that Gadreel is more complex than we even may have presented him now….

“I think we’re going to see Gadreel put through his pieces a bit more by Metatron in terms of going down a dark path.”

The newly angel-fied Castiel

In the mid-season finale, Castiel killed another angel and stole his grace for his own. When the show returns in the new year, Castiel “is going to find himself in this angelic frame more than ever and this might be a little bit of a case of be careful what you wish for,” says Carver.

“Now that he’s an angel again, he’s going to have to find his place in this angelic battle, and it may not be the place he imagined for himself, which is going to confront him with some choices he perhaps never thought he’d have to make. So he’s right back in the fire, as it were.”

Upcoming episodes

There are clearly a lot of mythology-heavy episodes to come in 2014, but Supernatural also has a number of standalone episodes per season. According to Carver, the back half of season 9 will have “a combination of introducing some really really wonderful new characters into the mythology while also seeing a lot more of some of our favorite friends returning in the back half.”

One new character to look forward to will be Tim Omundson’s Cain, whose casting we reported on previously. His presence “will open up a whole new branch of mythology for the show that is going to have significant impact on the rest of the season and throughout the series.”

The show will also answer the question of “where the heck Garth (DJ Qualls) has been this whole time,” as “viewers will remember he sort of went AWOL when put in charge of guarding Kevin back in season 8.” Carver describes the answer as “surprising” and with a lot of hugs.

Also returning will be The Ghostfacers, which we also previously reported. “They will be making a return in what actually is a really fun and pretty emotional episode,” Carver says.

The show will also continue “digging into the men of letter’s lore,” Carver previews. “We’re going to be going even deeper into that and introducing new characters and taking a deeper look at some men of letters characters we’ve even met before.”

Carver also previews the return of “some people we absolutely did not expect to see. And it’s all a result of the events that have happened here in the last season and a half.” Who are these people? “I think we can say these people are beloved, yes. And I think it makes for some pretty strong stuff.”

Supernatural returns with new episodes on Tuesday, January 14 a 9:00 p.m. ET on The CW.

So the last episode was the one we've been waiting for where new main characters are relieved for a spin off. It was a great episode. Different feel to Supernatural which was ok but I don't like the battling houses, forbidden love, Romeo and Juliet direction. It's beat. The episode was still interesting though.

Via Wiki:

In this back-door pilot for a proposed new TV series (Supernatural: Bloodlines), five different mafia-esque monster families are running the underbelly of Chicago. One is a family of shapeshifters run by Margo Lassiter (guest star Danielle Savre), whose leadership is thrown into question when her younger brother David (guest star Nathaniel Buzolic) returns home to claim his place in the family business. The other reigning family in town is made up of werewolves, lead by Julian Duval (guest star Sean Faris). The Families paths with Sam and Dean cross when they meet Ennis (guest star Lucien Laviscount), a man with a personal vendetta against the monsters when his girlfriend is murdered by a mysterious figure with silver claws who kills David's brother. The Winchesters warn Ennis about heading into the hunter lifestyle, but Ennis refuses to listen and starts down a dangerous path. David is revealed to be having a romance with Violet, the werewolf sister of Julian, which could bring on a full-scale war between the Five Families with the humans caught in the middle.

So CW passed on Bloodlines but did renew Supernatural for another season, so that's good.

I kind of liked the pilot. The whole dad still alive thing has been done a lot though.

So they are not having it now? I was looking forward to it although it did seem cliche. I wanted to see some Ghouls and I thought the effects were good. The Werewolf dude was badass too.

Kind of late to this thread, but I enjoyed Supernatural for a time. I liked the first few seasons, its a good show, and Castiel's been my favorite character since he was introduced. But, I haven't watched it in a while.

During the season about the leviathans I kind of checked out, and I stopped watching the show when I realized that I was just playing it as background noise instead of actually watching it. :lol:

I'm guessing the bit about the leviathans has been resolved, right? Could I get by if I just skip to where that arc ends? 

Yep. The last episode from last year, will allow you to jump into this year and be ok 

I didn't like the season finally that much. Seemed routine. 

Every show that has been on this long suffers from this. The basic life expectancy (of quality) is 5 seasons. That's what Supernatural was originally planned out for.  But it kept going. So it lost its footing in Season 6-7. It finally got back on track when Jeremy Carver returned (who wrote this episode by the way).  They even went meta and had Crowley say "...this is what's expected" and instead they did something unexpected.

That's a good season ender in my book and opens up a huge change to the status quo about how Dean will act (character development) next year.  Sam's character arc pretty much sucked this season as it was all Dean. He caused Kevin's death, etc.  It seems like they swap back and forth between the brothers as to who gets the story.  Season 6 saw Sam losing his soul/regaining it.  Season 7 saw dean go to Purgatory. Season 8 saw Sam doing the Trials.  Season 9 was Dean and the Mark of Kain.  So my guess will be somehow Sam's gonna get more development next season (in addition to resolving the Dean as a Demon problem of course).

Of course, knowing the Spinoff flopped and wasn't picked up, I'm hoping they attempt an additional spinoff next year as it might just be the last chance they get.  Unless we get another season but I'm starting to doubt that's gonna happen.