I might be done with competitive MP

I've been thinking back over the games I've put the most time into over say the past year, and they're co-op games. First Mass Effect 3 multiplayer and now Warframe (which has to be the most underrated PS4 exclusive and is well worth buying the console for, IMO. But I digress). I've put more hours into those two than into either Ghosts or BF4, possibly combined. I had a six day weekend last week and, other than an hour or so of Arkham City, didn't play anything but Warframe. I thought about putting in BF4, but never did. Before I could hardly wait until the next chance I'd get to play CoD or BF. Now I just have so much more fun in co-op games. The rush from working with your teammates to beat a tough mission is better than anything I've experienced playing a PvP game, no matter how good of a score I've pulled off.

I spent lots of time playing BO2, and often I'd stop myself and realize I wasn't really enjoying it, I just kept playing because it was the "thing to do". I very rarely rage playing a good co-op game, while in CoD or BF I'm frustrated probably more often than not. Seeing people talk on here it seems like I'm not the only one, but people keep playing anyway.

The game I'm far and away most looking forward to is Destiny: more co-op goodness (yes, it'll have PvP but I can't really picture myself playing it more than once in a while), while the only MP game that attracts me at all is Star Wars Battlefront.

The point of all that is...well, I guess there is no point, I just wanted to talk about it. I'm sure I'll fire up BF4 once in a while, but it's no longer my "go-to" game and I can't see myself getting an MP game on release anytime soon.

I usually take a break from MP games now and again largely to do with the community and the general repetitiveness that comes with the likes of BF4 and COD. I've put in quite a lot of time on BF4 of late and had a real blast but I've kinda played it to death lately and a few outstanding issues plus some dickhead admins has put me off for the time being.  I lost the buzz for COD Ghosts before Xmas and despite trying to get back into it; the community has died a death on PC and I didn't have a great experience on the game either. Titanfall was epic at first and despite putting in a fair few hours this week; it's lost that special feel and I've pretty much seen all there is to see. I'll play it now and again but I don't think I could have a long session on there like I used to on the early Call of Duty games. Decent community but somewhat lacking depth. 

I have lots of games in my Steam Library untouched and plenty of titles that I want to get back into. I'm hoping to finally start Diablo III next week and go through System Shock 2 too at some point. Can't wait to pick DayZ back up also; it may have a PVP aspect but you can meet some decent people on there which is brilliant this this day and age of douchbaggery online. 

I think playing many FPS games has taken its toll and idiots within the gaming community who ruin experiences in MP games don't help either.  

I used to play COD for long periods and sometimes too much to the point I'd be raging and not enjoying it but still continued to play and get more pissed off. Games are meant to be fun and I've learned now more than ever that if you're not having an enjoyable experience on a game; have a break from it and enjoy something else.  

Im very much the same at the moment, the last 2 CODs for me have been abysmal...

BO2 was because of connection issues, mainly my own ISP... It ruined my experience.

Ghosts, just killed it for me and I've just been playing FIFA, dead nation, runescape and warframe since...

Thing is I want to play games like COD again, I miss the competition, even the banter... Ghosts just has something about it that gets me so wound up I just dare not put the disc in anymore, I want to but keep stopping myself...

I really have my fingers crossed for this years upcoming games, COD and The division mainly to get me back into that competitive style of game..

blackops2sig.jpg

I agree with you for the most part. Co-op games are really good when wanting to relax and have fun but there is something about a shooter. For me I think it helps feed my competitive nature. I get pissed and yell at the tv but believe it or not it's a stress relief for me. When I have had a bad day it seems to calm me down. I can't yell at the idiots I work with. I'm not got to yell at the wife or kids (to much) I just miss having fun on shooters. Battlefield is a good game but I have gotten bored with it. Maybe because its the only game I played for months now. I miss BO2 and MW3. Ghosts just doesn't do it for me but I have been playing it more as of late. It still pisses me off to no end but it's a change of pace from Battlefield.

I can see why the change of pace from PvP to co-op would be more relaxing. I've played PvP shooters since the early days of quake and then really got into it when the original COD came out for PC. I've never really got burnt out on the PvP action, it's more the games that that i get fed up with. Ghosts being a prime example but i've gone back to BO2 and i'm really enjoying it.

That being said i'm looking forward to Destiny for it's co-op as much as i am for it's PvP. I may mooch away from it for a bit to taste other things but i'll always be back for more!