Programming Help...?

Palle

That's just as well you mentioned that, as that's exactly what I was going to do. I even started the first few lessons.

Damn, might have to buy one of those "book" things now.

go here:

http://interactivepython.org/runestone/static/thinkcspy/index.html

There's also this, but I haven't actually gone through it as I have the one above.

http://interactivepython.org/courselib/static/diveintopython3/index.html

Also go here, be careful though, some of these are Python 2 and some are Python 3.

https://wiki.python.org/moin/BeginnersGuide/Programmers

If and when you get to the point of wanting to use an IDE, the free version of PyCharm is excellent.

http://www.jetbrains.com/pycharm/

Cheers, have fun!

If you decide to put your dick in crazy, be ready to change your phone number and relocate.

Agreed 100%

Legacy code is good to learn, but as an after to whats being used currently.

To be fair, 2.7 is more in use presently, that's why codeacademy teaches it. That said, even though conversion has been slow, it's happening nonetheless. The logic still stands: Python 3 is the future so there's no reason to learn 2 unless you're working with an existing codebase that calls for it.

If you decide to put your dick in crazy, be ready to change your phone number and relocate.

Ok, that's good to hear. What level of math should I be good at? As of now I barely do any math except basic everyday stuff that you do to buy groceries.

To be honest I've always had problems with math and I've forgotten most of what I practiced in school. I think I can learn it better now that I'm doing it by free will and not being forced to do it.

I suppose it depends on what you're coding, like Cyber mentions. A lot of the programming principles/basics don't require a masters in maths. Basic math will get you through the majority, if not all, basic programming examples.

My recommendation is to use codeacademy and just start working through examples. See how you get on, share what you've learned here and ask questions. If you find something you struggle with, someone here can help explain. You seem keen to learn so go in with an open mind with it, knowing you have support here, and forget about what level your maths is currently at.

A lot of math functions are now library functions. People try to no re-invent the wheel as mentioned previously.

What you need to learn is how to find and use these functions and subroutines. I've never used code academy so I am not aware of the content but I suspect it can be helpful.

My kids took programming in High school with grade 10 math. They did fine with it and had some cool examples. My daughter even created a rather basic video game. I'm not try to brag, but that should give you an idea of the prerequisites in order to be able to code something.

Also you are doing this to learn, so as long as you are persistent and somewhat enjoy it who cares if you make mistakes along the way, you probably will learn more from those then getting it right anyways. 

My opinion of programming is that you get good at it by doing it.

My daughter even created a rather basic video game.

My opinion of programming is that you get good at it by doing it.

Just inspired me to play the snowboarding game I made in College. It's like a better version of a Tiger hand held. Dodge the trees and rocks that come flying out at you from nowhere. :lol: The teacher and lab assistant helped a lot with the game code...

I've sat in on a few entry level C++ classes but only ever completed HTML and ActionScript classes (Dreamweaver, Flash and Director), so HTML and Java. I actually enjoy programming/coding using them. Except Flash, fuck Flash.

Small tip, which explains why I didn't continue to sit in on C++ classes and which someone probably already posted, I've found whatever I'm trying to accomplish has already been done and is available online. So I'm able to take other peoples code, copy/paste it into what I'm doing, tweak it to get it where I want it and move on to the next problem.

I agree with cyber. Do it! And good luck.

jpw_tyrannosaurus-rex_zpscpttjstm.jpg

Cheat Sheets

http://www.gegeek.com/documents/649546B630371346316B2DAAD5D323C7F7B73A14.html

Hopefully this will help you guys. Its a compilation of about a billion cheat sheets for MS office, Google Apps(A bunch of different ones), Dos, Firefox, Ubuntu, etc..

(So many programs, that there are a few I haven't even heard of before like Vimperator)

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."