America question
Posted
3 minutes ago, McNasty said:

Well the counterargument there is that someone who really pays attention to what is going on, who votes with real knowledge, is evened out by someone who votes for a guy because he's white, or black, or a woman, or religious, or whatever example.  Doesn't matter what the candidates politics are because dumb voter doesn't understand.  There's something messed up about that.

I just assumed that you meant IQ, but it seems more like you mean a test of an individuals awareness of politics and their influence in society, etc. That would make far more sense. There definitely are plenty of intelligent people out there that have their heads up their ass when it comes to things outside their little bubble.

America question
Posted
4 minutes ago, McNasty said:

Trump certainly opened the floodgates proving that anyone who's famous has a shot.  Democracy is fine but it's biggest flaw is that Dumb FuckMcGee's vote counts the same as mine.  In my ideal utopian democracy, there would be a big test that every voter has to take.  However you score puts weight behind your vote.  There is literally no moral argument that can be made against that.  If you're dumb, your opinion and vote shouldn't really matter because you're not smart enough to vote with purpose.  

Eh, I dunno. This is a pretty extreme example:  Ted Bundy's IQ was 136. Assuming he was never caught and/or jailed, why should his vote count more than the guy who dropout in grade 10, but works hard for his family and within his community? Again, yes, extreme example. I think your idea could be a slippery slope leading to some sort of caste system, though.

America question
Posted
5 hours ago, The3rdWalker said:

I don't know why we don't use the metric system or why we don't use DD/MM/YYYY format. It's just more practical.  

Seriously, your country really needs to get on the DD/MM/YYYY thing. It's super annoying having an American developed medical records system that MM/DD/YYYY and everything else I have to work with is the other way. I have to reenter birth dates way more often than is practical. 

What do you do?
Posted

I'm an admin assistant in a psychology office that specializes in treating veterans, those still serving, RCMP, ambulance and police dispatch, and first responders. Two of the three psychologists I work for also still have independent practice clients that don't fall within those parameters. We're less than a year old, so we're still ironing out some kinks and getting some things going, but we've had a good response so far. I majored in psychology in university and then went to college for administration, so this job is really the best of both worlds for me.

Previously I worked for a hospital as a clinical secretary in an off-site hemodialysis unit for 5 years and did a 1 year stint in their Privacy and Access office. That was a stressful year of intense impostor syndrome, but I learned some interesting things that I've brought to my current job.

Christmas Stuff for 2017
Posted

Neither Chad nor I are overly interested in Christmas. We don't even own any decorations other than I two foot tall tree we don't pull out because there's no room in our house. Also our kitten is an asshole and would probably do something stupid to it. The our gift giving is usually just reserved for the nieces and nephews and maybe something for eachother.

This year I'm insisting that the two of us start the tradition of Jolabokaflod. It's an Icelandic thing. They're holiday season kicks off when everyone there gets the book catalog of all the new publications coming out. On Christmas Eve people give one another books and they spend the evening reading (apparently in bed and eating chocolate according to one website). Irregardless of what Chad may think, one can never have too many books.

London Tower Block Fire
Posted
2 minutes ago, phil bottle said:

No fire alarm went off apparently...

In the article they interviewed a resident from the 7th floor and he said he was woken up by people outside yelling, not by an alarm.

Someone is (rightfully) going to get nailed to the wall for this. It, apparently, had passed all the fire and safety inspections, but someone missed something or a palm was greased a bit. 

On 14/12/2016 at 7:34 AM, Plumbers Crack said:

Pair of lawn bowls trousers and overtop.....yeah, yeah, I know..boring! :)

North American translation: Lawn bowling pants and top. From Google the pants look a bit like a mix between dress pants and hospital scrubs, in that they are loose like (most) hospital pants and possibly drawstring, but still have pressed creases to make them look nicer.

I'm hoping for a yarn bowl (example, put yarn in it, put the bit your working with through the slit and it keeps the ball from flopping about) and/or a yarn swift (example, used for winding yarn into a usable ball/cake).

Doc's firearms thread
Posted

Doc, Chad and I saw this on facebook. We thought it was pretty interesting, but we're also really curious what you think of it? Does it seem like something that would actually be useful and make a difference? Or more just a really nice idea?

72 years ago
Posted

Thanks for sharing this. They are brilliant and frightening, but really show the resilience of humanity.

The house in pictures 9 and 13 is the Canadian D-Day Memorial House. The family that's owned it has had it since before WWII. After D-day it was only of the only buildings still standing. Seeing pictures at the Juno Beach Centre (which is right next to it), it's astounding that it was still standing. 

Parenting fail
Posted

Smart kid to recognize that he isn't ready for something like that. Hopefully he has a good couple days so he can get that out of his head.

What about Kingdoms of Amalur: Recokoning or Fable? They have a more cartoony art style and are more-or-less open world (not as much as Skyrim). Though, Fable would require a 360. Also, you can rub tummies with people in that one, but you don't actually see anything other than a blank screen.

Oh, and I also pegged him in the face playing kickball on Saturday from about 20 feet away.  I was aiming for his feet, and it went high.  Decked him right over.

This made me laugh. Hope his face is alright.

You do not have permission to view this content.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy