4 hours ago, phil bottle said:

Did you ever make it to Catalonia? I cant remember, and the food there is fantastic. I'm lucky, I always stay with locals when I'm abroad and that makes things easy. I avoid other UK people at all costs emoji28.png

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Yes, we spent a week in Barcelona.  The Sagrada Familia is the most moving and humbling man-made structure I've ever seen.  I absolutely loved the city.  We're considering going to Madrid at some point as well.  Next year is our next "abroad" vacation.  Should have been this year, but we needed to put a lot of money into home renovation/repair this year and pushed our schedule back a bit to keep the finances comfortable.

9 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

LOLZ 😂😂 I think i'd look a little weird waiting for a while in the city centre waiting for a fat single woman to walk past. Waiting too long and i think i'll get questioned by one of you lot!

Paris was the only place I had trouble finding someone who fit my parameters quickly.  Usually you don't have much of a wait for a weighty gal to wander by.

I feel like perhaps I should share my system for finding good local restaurants when traveling.  I assure you that the system always works and that this is not a joke.  When I told a buddy of mine about it he assumed I was just being funny, then he saw it in action when we went to Memphis and it lead us to an incredible local barbecue place. 

So what you do is scout for a reasonably well dressed fat woman.  Not morbidly obese fat or you're just going to get a buffet, but fat enough that you're reasonably sure she'll get winded on a flight of stairs.  Nobody under 30 or over 50 years old.  Nobody with children in tow.    If possible, someone without a wedding ring, but if it's a low target environment you might have to go with a married fatty. The manner of dress isn't as important as the apparent value of the clothing.  Someone dressed like someone who'd date her could afford the sort of restaurant you're interested in.  She must, of course, be local and not also a tourist.  Once you've spotted an appropriate fat woman, simply approach with a "pardon me, Ma'am, we're from out of town and was curious as to a good local restaurant." sort of line.  I generally don't specify what type of restaurant so as not to pin them down or make them search their memory.  I want their gut instinct (so to speak).

I have done this in multiple states in multiple countries and it has *always* worked out well.

Unless road tripping and staying close to the Interstate, I generally avoid chain restaurants.  For convenience on longer trips I typically stick with McDonald's for fast food.  When I visit my Dad we usually go to Logan's steak house.  It's a middle-of-the-road steak chain that's a good value to dollar and has a chopped steak my (denture wearing) father can eat.  He's also wheel chair bound, so if he's too tired to get in and out of my truck again we'll go to Sonic for milk shakes.  Sonic is a drive-up where the staff (often on roller skates) brings the food to your vehicle for you.  If he feels like getting out, we'll go to Culver's.

Now, the exception is if I'm in Texas.  Whataburger is awesome.  Best fast food burger joint by a mile, but only in Texas.  Close to where the cows grow up, you understand.  

Indianapolis has a pretty decent international selection.  I'm always down for Turkish or Peruvian.

You do not have permission to view this content.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy