Going old school

Well I went a bit old school over the weekend. One thing I have always missed the past 5 years or longer has been actual video stores. Meaning rather than just sitting at home and pressing buttons to rent a movie, being able to physically go to a video store to rent a movie. All the Blockbuster and Hollywood video stores by me closed down so I did some online searching and found a Family Video not even 6 miles from me. Went and joined and rented some flicks yesterday.

I know most people feel it's better to just rent from your DVR/cable company these days, or netflix or what-not, but I personally miss the video stores. I enjoyed being able to once again peruse through the aisles of box art covers and see what was out, see the walls painted in movie themes, and just the whole experience rather than just sitting on my couch and pressing a button to rent one.

I'm sure some will think it's stupid to want to do it this way, but for me, I enjoy it much more and plan to rent all my movies once again this way now that I joined the store. They also have a good selection of PS4 games for rent as well ^_^

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

There's definitely a nostalgia factor visiting video stores.  Family Video is the only one left around here.  I don't go there at all anymore though.  I used to take my daughter there to let her pick out a movie (kids movies are free).  Now I go to the public library.  We've got an amazing library.  Huge movie selection, CD's, and games (PS4, PS3, Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox1, Wii, WiiU, and PC games).  If it wasn't for the library, I'd still be going to Family Video.  I've got a lot of good memories of strolling the isles as a kid.  Renting NES games and VHS tapes.  Good times.  

5abdbe250c715_RespectAll-FearNone.png.9bc1a4f0d1cdab1c7e67e48baf8275b4.png.63941b93d8c1d7bc3f9ca9f365076c45.png

I think that’s bad ass! I used to work in the back of a video store doing digital restoration. I miss the excitement of going; 2-3 times a week I'd visit local video rental stores. We had a bunch of family owned ones and then a Blockbuster which I never really went to because their rental prices were absurd. They're all gone now.

Funny I was talking to a coworker about movies and we got on Horror and I said how much I missed my favorite place because they had EVERY horror movie imaginable, seriously the Horror section was 3/4 of the shop, the guy smiled and said “hey that was my store!” needless to say I reached nerd level 30,000 and we rap about movies all the time. He has a wildly different opinion about films than me which makes him awesome to talk to because he makes me think of things I wouldn't otherwise have thought of or disagreed with. :lol: So yeah I miss video rental stores.

jpw_tyrannosaurus-rex_zpscpttjstm.jpg