More than a just a song - Music that shaped you

Palle

This is a topic similar to "What are you listening to..." but a bit more complicated.

Here is where you only post your absolute favorite songs and albums, the ones that has had a major impact on your life and helped shape your personality.

Post one of your favorite songs. Include a short (or lenghty, if you like) story how it affected you and how what you feel when you listen to it.

As the OP I should go first

It was the first time I heard thrash metal. I picked up the album when I was 14 and I barely knew anything about Metallica, except that they were a big metal band.

This is the intro song to "Kill 'em All. It changed my view of everything I had previously known in music, I never listened to anything like it. A year earlier, St. Anger had been released and I remember hearing the title song on TV. To be honest, back then I think it was one of the worst songs I ever heard.

When I first started playing this CD though... It blew my mind. The speed, the raw distorted guitars attitude, the energy. I suddenly felt like anything I wanted to do was possible with this music and I instantly craved more.

It was the birth of my interest in thrash and how I became a fan of Metallica. Today, this is my go to song if I really need a motivational boost. It brings me back to that day everytime I listen to it and energizes me.

So there you have it. Go!

Edit: Added some info

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's hard to imagine you never listened to Metallica until circa St. Anger. I don't like much of their stuff after the Black Album, but it's just personal taste. I really like the Black Album and Kill 'em All, but for me the big three are Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, And... Justice for All. Those three albums were an enormous part of my high school and early college years. The thing I like most about Metallica is the masterful riffage combined with an incredible sense of song structure. Good shit.

A lot of my favorite songs have to do with my struggles with alcoholism. One in particular is Nightminds by Missy Higgins. I honestly don't know what it's actually about, and I don't want to find out, because it seems like it was written about me. The melancholy tone and the lyrics which exactly describe my highs and lows and my wife's desperate struggle to understand what's going in my head. Hearing it is both exquisite and gutting at the same time. I have to thank my brother for introducing me to Missy Higgins, one of the greatest gifts he ever gave me.

I know
I know
I know.
I knew before you got home.
This world you're in now,
It doesn't have to be alone,
I'll get there somehow, 'cos
I know I know I know
When, even springtime feels cold.
But I will learn to breathe this ugliness you see,
So we can both be there and we can both share the dark.
And in our honesty, together we will rise,
Out of our nightminds, and into the light
At the end of the fight...

Yep, here come the tears, dammit

If you decide to put your dick in crazy, be ready to change your phone number and relocate.

Thank you for sharing Jason, enjoyed reading and really liked the song...

About Metallica, St. Anger was the first song I really listened to but I remember watching this video when I was 8

I was too young too understand the music back then but I remember that the video made me feel sad, haha.

I have always lived my life a certain way that is a bit different than most others I know. To me I simply enjoy the outdoors and nature and being free and money has never really meant much to me. Back around 2007 though the movie & soundtrack Into The Wild helped to solidify my beliefs that accumulating wealth just is not a priority in my life, or at least "wealth" as it is designated by most peoples standards (money).

So I would say that the Into The Wild soundtrack from Eddie Vedder is something that has somewhat had an impact on my way of life.