Cordless tool sets

Sennex

I need to get some better tools for the house, but I have no idea what company to buy.

I like DeWalt, I've had really good luck with their stuff, but the last time I used them was about 10 years ago.

I have no idea about any other brands, so what do you guys think?

I am basically going to buy a full set, 20volt Li-Ion. 

Luke 23:34
'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a craftsman now, and its one of the reasons I need a whole new set LOL

still though, this thing was bought 10 years ago, easily

'And Jesus said, "Father, forgive them, for they don't think it be like it is, but it do."

Totally agree with Jason, try to get ones that are Lithium ion batteries and you'll be glad you did. They go a lot longer on a charge than regular Ni-cad. I'm a big tool junkie and have had a great deal of different brands of cordless tools. Craftsman is good but just stick with the better models in the Craftsman line up because some of their low cost entry level sets are not all that great. Dewalt is good but some of it is a bit overpriced IMO. Ryobi is hit or miss for me, I've had some decent experiences with them as well as some unsatisfactory ones, I kind'a equate them on the same level as Black & Decker in my opinion. I've also got some Porter Cable cordless drills and saws and have been surprising happy with those.

IMO for what you said you want to use them for (around the house stuff) my suggestion would be to buy something like this http://www.sears.com/craftsman-c3-19.2-volt-4-piece-lithium-combo/p-00938618000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

It's 19.2gv lithium batt which is good. The drill is 1/2" and not 3/8" so if you ever need to use a bit bit in the drill you won;t have to find a turned down shank bit, plus 1/2" will have more power than anything you will need to drill around the house. It's got a circular saw as well as sawzall so if you ever do any home improvement then both those types of saws will cover you for any 2x4 or plywood cutting, plus you never realize how handy a sawzall actually is until you own one.  And the price is pretty good too so since you are not using this set as an "on the job" set I'd say that Craftsman set would more than suit what your needs will be at home.

EDIT: I might buy each piece seperately, it will cost me more, but I don't need a saws-all right now, nor do I need flashlight. I need a small circular saw, an Impact hammer, and a Driver.

Yea defintely going for Li-Ion batteries.

One of my main concerns is that the motors and gear assemblies in a lot of those "combo" sets are underpowered or Nylon.

A lot of hte work I am doing and will be doing soon is with brick and concrete, I don't want to be mid job and have a motor burnout or a gear strip.

I was at Lowes yesterday comparing similar sets and you could visibly see the difference in driver motors. It was really annoying as the dude that worked there kept telling me the sets were the exact same, but you could hold and see they were totally different. Not to mention they were the same 5 piece set, but 200$ difference in price..

This is what I am thinking on getting:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_254286-70-DCK590L2_4294607831__?productId=3441520&Ns=p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNs%3Dp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

I just can't find a decent site for reviews for this stuff like I can with Computer parts. 

It always sucks when the department person doesn't know jack shit about their department.  

I've used a lot of my papa's Dewalt tools, and they've all been really nice.  

What kind of job(s) are you planning on doing w/ concrete/brick?  

5abdbe250c715_RespectAll-FearNone.png.9bc1a4f0d1cdab1c7e67e48baf8275b4.png.63941b93d8c1d7bc3f9ca9f365076c45.png

Well our house is brick, and I need to redo the storm shutter drill points. The ones on teh house are crap.

In the future, should we ever have the money to move (As my dad killed our current 3 year plan for moving). We are going to build a concrete house with ramped earth around the roof and sides for better tornado protection. So I need something that will help in that as well (Future proofing as much as I can now, while I still have some discretionary funds)

You wont find nylon gears in any of the decent name brand motors these days. That's pretty much outdated Black & Decker $15 drills from years ago where you find that. So that won't be a concern. I dunno why they always include a flashlight in the combo kits, like 99.9% of guys don't already have one...duh lol. Probably just a "filler" tool most likely. Like I said you never realize just how much use you can get out of a sawzall until you have one. They cut anything and everything and can get into places that no other saw can get into so don't rule that trust me on that.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I have a consumer reports subscription, I could've looked shit up for you, well, I still will, but now you've made your purchase. stand by for more info...

If you decide to put your dick in crazy, be ready to change your phone number and relocate.

yea, back in 1960 B&D bought DeWalt

Haha didn't know it was that long ago. I know they bought Porter-Cable I'm the early 2000's. Thought is was sometime around then. I guess I was thinking when they sent a lot of their manufacturing to Mexico. Quality went down hill.