VITAMIN D & COVID

Middle Class Caveman

Hi folks, in light of the recent guidance from the government to give Vit D supplements to the most at risk people in the country and the link between deficiency and death rate (this data is new and so could be argued) can I please urge everyone to buy a vitamin d supplement and take them daily. 

2000iu per day is a great start, 5000iu is the the upper limit. I personally take 4000iu a day.

any brand will do really, try and take them with a meal. 

stay safe brothers and sisters xx

here is a news article for some reference Here

signatures small.jpg

Thanks for sharing Elliott. Can I ask as I'm not someone who trusts vitamins work (cos simply my mum tells me and I trust my mum 😉) what Vitamin D in general gives you?

I imagine some people already take these daily.

4 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Thanks for sharing Elliott. Can I ask as I'm not someone who trusts vitamins work (cos simply my mum tells me and I trust my mum 😉) what Vitamin D in general gives you?

I imagine some people already take these daily.

I think the urban myth that multivitamins don’t work has some validity to it because some vitamins are water soluble and others fat soluble. So one rock hard pill taken with water isn’t going to cover all the bases.

Vitamin D is a fat soluble substance hence why it’s found in egg yolks and fatty fish. So the ‘multi Vit’ tablets aren’t going to give you any. A proper vitamin D tablet will look like a small fish oil cap.

in terms of its purpose, Vitamin D is actually responsible for keeping bones and muscles healthy, however it also has other functions such as reducing inflammation, modulation of cell growth and the immune system as well as glucose metabolism.

So in terms of its importance here, it’s not a cure for covid, however - most people are vitamin D deficient as they stay indoors all day and the media has demonised red meat and eggs so they aren’t really a regular staple in people’s diets.

In terms of the links to reducing the impact of covid, the correlation is currently not very strong at the moment but then it’s early days for everything covid. 

I would simply say, taking a Vit D tablet once a day isn’t going to break anyone’s bank and shouldn’t go against anyone’s morals so there is no reason not to do it. Especially the older more vulnerable sections of the population here.

signatures small.jpg

15 minutes ago, BO7H B4RRELS said:

I've been taking Vitamin D, Vitamin C, and Elderberry syrup for a few years now.  

Excellent! I personally only take  Vit D, omegas and a probiotic (which my wife makes me take 🙈) as I eat 2-3 kiwi’s a day, the only real super food in existence!

signatures small.jpg

16 hours ago, BO7H B4RRELS said:

Has DayZ taught you nothing?!?!  

🤣 I wish my OCD in that game would transfer over to real life then i'd be all gravy 😜

I will be asking the wife to pick up some Vitamin D at the shops today. I believe I took these for a while before know you've explained what they are for as my mum was consicous on how little I was getting outside before we had a lockdown a few years ago. Its not a bad shout to start again. Like most things, its just a force of habit I need to break.