Only 8 Maps at Launch!?

J4MES OX4D

Credible rumours going around that Cold War will only have 8 playable maps at launch with Nuketown following a couple of weeks later. If this is true then it’s a travesty regardless of how many are drip-fed in the coming months. Those will probably be rehashed ones (Jungle, Summit, Firing Range) too. What’s worse is that barely any can accommodate 6v6. 

I really hope this isn’t true because it could be a devastating dealbreaker for me. We should be getting at least 15 6v6 maps right off the bat. Seems they are just supporting too many modes which have their own specific maps. A full list can be found in a few articles but this one lays it

out nicely

all-cod-black-ops-cold-war-maps.jpg
WWW.GAMESATLAS.COM

Full list of multiplayer maps in COD Black Ops Cold War including additional Season DLC maps, Fireteam modes...

Was reading feedback from the zombie community last night - here's the gist:-

Treyarch: ''Cold War zombies is our biggest and most groundbreaking Call of Duty zombies experience to date''

Community: ''YOU'RE GIVING US ONE FUCKING MAP WTF''

This may end up being a repeat of Black Ops 4 where Treyarch did fuck all to support the core multiplayer and zombies experiences post-launch and put all their eggs in one basket with the battle royale. They'll probably change the time of day/weather on some of the base maps and then pretend it's sufficient 'new' content.

This seems to be a running theme for the whole "free maps for everybody after launch!" bollocks. Yes we get free maps but they give us fuck all maps to start with. The "free" maps are blatantly just maps that are already finished but they cut them from launch. Black Ops 1 & 2 shipped with 14 maps at launch. Even BO4 had something like 12 maps(although a few were remakes). I suspect this will be the norm for COD now. Launch with fewer maps and by the end of the games life cycle we'll have a decent amount of maps which Activision have kindly given to us for FREE! THEY'RE FREE! FREE! FREE I SAY YOU UNGRATEFUL PRICKS!

fart.gif

27 minutes ago, MrBiron said:

This seems to be a running theme for the whole "free maps for everybody after launch!" bollocks. Yes we get free maps but they give us fuck all maps to start with. The "free" maps are blatantly just maps that are already finished but they cut them from launch. Black Ops 1 & 2 shipped with 14 maps at launch. Even BO4 had something like 12 maps(although a few were remakes). I suspect this will be the norm for COD now. Launch with fewer maps and by the end of the games life cycle we'll have a decent amount of maps which Activision have kindly given to us for FREE! THEY'RE FREE! FREE! FREE I SAY YOU UNGRATEFUL PRICKS!

They are basically cutting content intended for the base game and then drip feeding it to us under the illusion that they're giving free stuff. It was bad enough in the past with withheld content being sold as DLC but now they are holding to ransom content we've essentially already paid for. 3 more maps are supposed to arrive for season one but we don't know if that's 3 gunfight ones, 3 6v6 or 3 ground war - it may even be one map for each mode. Embarrassingly shit either way.

Treyarch will probably blame the pandemic but even on a 3 year cycle with BO4, they couldn't even concoct a campaign, 60% of the game was recycled form the BO3 SDK and the MP and zombies was unsupported and on life support after Christmas.

It kinda puts into perspective how well IW supported MW post-launch - they gave us new maps in every mode and the game was content-laden in the end on top of Warzone. Treyarch have seemingly removed 6 scorestreaks too...

That's definitely disappointing if true.  So, if it ships with 8 maps, you've got count on the fact that you probably won't like 1 or 2, your favorite one will never pop up enough, and you'll be stuck playing the same 4 or 5 maps all the time.  😕 

5abdbe250c715_RespectAll-FearNone.png.9bc1a4f0d1cdab1c7e67e48baf8275b4.png.63941b93d8c1d7bc3f9ca9f365076c45.png

44 minutes ago, BO7H B4RRELS said:

That's definitely disappointing if true.  So, if it ships with 8 maps, you've got count on the fact that you probably won't like 1 or 2, your favorite one will never pop up enough, and you'll be stuck playing the same 4 or 5 maps all the time.  😕 

It was the same story pretty much with WW2 which released with just 9 MP maps. We played 3 of those to death during the beta and out of the other 6, three were absolutely dreadful leaving 3 which were borderline acceptable. There were 3 other maps in that overwatch-type mode but that's no excuse to shrink the map pool of the core multiplayer especially when a lot of people had no interest in playing it. 

The minimum amount of entry maps for 6v6 should be at the very least 12 new ones regardless of how many other modes they are supporting with specifically designed maps. I think 15 would be ideal and I wouldn't care if no new ones came out for 3 months - they should focus on retaining as many people as possible. I got burned on the beta after about 6 hours as the maps got old but I wasn't expecting this to make up about 40% of the final game! 

Part of me wanted to pick this up for the zombie mode alone but I’ll probably wait to get it on the cheap if it’s like this. I’ve paid enough towards these companies to play half a game for a few weeks and never touch it again.

5 minutes ago, tronic44 said:

So they can’t even release a pre-made map with different textures? GG...G-fuckin-G

Activi$ion really don't know how to communicate properly do they? I can understand in this day and age dropping content more regularly rather than one big go but not in the way they are saying it as well as maps wise, you still have to offer good value for money at the start of a brand new game.

The problem is when they have issues with pre-made assists, so many of these maps were designed years ago. So apart from adding new textures and the occasional new assist, it should be easy. 

Having a load of new maps, then re-releasing old content for money is a fucking disgrace. Don’t get me wrong, it takes time to build all these environments but they need to get a grip and stop rehashing old shit. 

Don’t get me wrong, I love nuketown but it should be part of the original release. If it comes after, it should be free. How many times have we purchased Nuketown now?

I read a YouTube comment last night that said something along the lines of 'the second beta releases Friday'. To be honest, that's not too far from the truth. The final game has 4 more maps, 5 more guns and 6 less scorestreaks and that's it.

I still haven't bought the game and this could be the first Call of Duty I don't ever ever get. It certainly will be the first one I don't have at launch. If I don't pick it up today I probably never will. I really enjoyed the beta but the lack of content off the bat is disgraceful really. Surely you want to keep people engaged right off the bat rather than dangling one extra map in the next 5 weeks that may or may not be a remake. 

Treyarch also really piss me off these days - I still regard the original Black Ops one of the best games I have ever played and BO2 was an exceptional package. They are lazy as fuck now and completely out of ideas - all their new maps are shite and in such few quantity, they then have to relentlessly recycle old content. People will probably blame the pandemic and in some cases it has impacted development but let's not forget they had 3 clear years with BO4 and we didn't even get a campaign, only got 12 maps for MP in which 4 were recycled and the zombies community were shafted up the ass for Blackout. 

If Nuketown is finished already, why the hell don't they give it to us now? Holding out paid content to ransom is a joke! Infinity Ward were churning out MP, gunfight, FFA and GW maps all year and Treyarch seem to be toying with when to release Jungle for the 39th time in the last decade. 

COD YouTubers are at it again too - one minute they are conveying their concerns about the lack of content and how disappointing the game will likely be on release and then 8 hours later they  publish a brand new video saying 'OMG NEW PATCH NOETS IN AND TREEARCH R LISTENING TO US' and '2 WEOPANS BUFFED AND DORK MATTER CAMO IS BACK - THIS GAME IS AMAZzzING YO' and then everything is forgiven even though that doesn't change anything about the lack of maps. 

I will have to make a choice by this evening - either pay £45, get about 40 hours out of it until Cyberpunk drops and just take what's there or save the money and vote with my wallet. I'll probably have nothing much to play but it'll be a principled move.  

13 minutes ago, J4MES OX4D said:

I read a YouTube comment last night that said something along the lines of 'the second beta releases Friday'. To be honest, that's not too far from the truth. The final game has 4 more maps, 5 more guns and 6 less scorestreaks and that's it.

I still haven't bought the game and this could be the first Call of Duty I don't ever ever get. It certainly will be the first one I don't have at launch. If I don't pick it up today I probably never will. I really enjoyed the beta but the lack of content off the bat is disgraceful really. Surely you want to keep people engaged right off the bat rather than dangling one extra map in the next 5 weeks that may or may not be a remake. 

Treyarch also really piss me off these days - I still regard the original Black Ops one of the best games I have ever played and BO2 was an exceptional package. They are lazy as fuck now and completely out of ideas - all their new maps are shite and in such few quantity, they then have to relentlessly recycle old content. People will probably blame the pandemic and in some cases it has impacted development but let's not forget they had 3 clear years with BO4 and we didn't even get a campaign, only got 12 maps for MP in which 4 were recycled and the zombies community were shafted up the ass for Blackout. 

If Nuketown is finished already, why the hell don't they give it to us now? Holding out paid content to ransom is a joke! Infinity Ward were churning out MP, gunfight, FFA and GW maps all year and Treyarch seem to be toying with when to release Jungle for the 39th time in the last decade. 

COD YouTubers are at it again too - one minute they are conveying their concerns about the lack of content and how disappointing the game will likely be on release and then 8 hours later they  publish a brand new video saying 'OMG NEW PATCH NOETS IN AND TREEARCH R LISTENING TO US' and '2 WEOPANS BUFFED AND DORK MATTER CAMO IS BACK - THIS GAME IS AMAZzzING YO' and then everything is forgiven even though that doesn't change anything about the lack of maps. 

I will have to make a choice by this evening - either pay £45, get about 40 hours out of it until Cyberpunk drops and just take what's there or save the money and vote with my wallet. I'll probably have nothing much to play but it'll be a principled move.  

I’d say save your money, I will be.

1 hour ago, J4MES OX4D said:

I have bought this one as I did the principaled thing last year and I haven't bought a cod myself since blops3, but having played the crap out of blops4 I have nothing to really do on that game and I expect people will have moved on. However this will fill a hole occasionally not be the game I sit on for hours like before, or that's what I expect.

People seem to be making arguments based on principal which is fine but i don't quite understand the concern. 

I played MW, I have no idea home many maps there are because I think I have only played 5-6 tops. The same maps always come up in the rotation. Perhaps its the mode I play but I know there's more maps than that. 

Other cods were the same. Nuketown, the map with the boat, terminal, crash, High rise, firing range

1 hour ago, cyberninja2601 said:

I played MW, I have no idea home many maps there are because I think I have only played 5-6 tops. The same maps always come up in the rotation. 

You've just highlighted my exact concern - Modern Warfare had a pretty limited map pool at launch hence why the same maps kept popping up. It's gonna be even more limited in Cold War plus the maps we've seen already (half of the final count) weren't exactly great either. 

1 hour ago, cyberninja2601 said:

Other cods were the same. Nuketown, the map with the boat, terminal, crash, High rise, firing range

Other COD's definitely weren't as bad as this - MW2 and BO1 both had way more off the bat which were all 6v6 appropriate and were designed to accommodate all the other modes on offer. It was a fine and varied selection. Nowadays the devs are not only giving us less content at launch, the maps that are there are split based on the playlist type so there may only be six 6v6 maps in Cold War.  

We should really be getting at least 12-15 original 6v6 maps for starters and if the playlist modes do split the maps then there should be 6 or so ground war on top - 2 is just lame really. 

Off the top of my head:-

MW2 had Afghan, Terminal, Highrise, Karachi, Underpass, Estate, Derail, Quarry, Favela, Skidrow, Sub Base, Invasion, Rust, Rundown, Scrapyard, Wasteland - that's 16 off the top of my head in the base game and I've probably missed a couple. Black Ops had Jungle, Summit, Firing Range, Nukertown, Array, Crisis, Cracked, Hanoi, Havana, Radiation, Villa, Grid, WMD and Launch. I've probably missed one there too but that's about 14. 

A poxy 8 maps for a premium multiplayer FPS game in 2020 is pretty disgraceful really and we already know recycled content is coming once again. 

I hate to admit it, but James is pretty spot on. Now I have a lot of respect for J. You always have valid and logical explanations to your concerns.

But as you touched on, 8 maps for a premium triple A rated publisher/developer online multiplayer FPS is a disgrace.

That's the problem, it's not MP anymore, it's everything else. BR/Warzone etc. Zombies and campaign sure they have been about for years and that's fine.

But the main gripe here is they can't psychically produce all of it year in year out.

It will never happen, but if it was up to me BR/Warzone should be a separate entity. A different disc, a separate price. Make the base game 10-20 quid cheaper and charge like 20-30 for a separate Warzone game.

That way shitty warzone ain't filling my storage with it's obscene pointless Gigabytes. It took MW how long for Warzone? Can't remember, but ever since it's existence the game in general lags more. Ribbon challenges have more warzone challenges in it each season and more attention thrown on to it.

I would happy pay 50-60 quid for a "True" multiplayer experience with plenty maps and good support/content. The game lasts a year, it's not overpriced if it's fucking fantastic. Like those old BO 1/2 and MW2 days.

The microtransactions in BO4 were disgusting. But they left MP fizzle as they built BR up more.

I truly think the Warzone/BR aspect has ruined the MP experience for us old vets. 

Don't get me wrong if you enjoy warzone/br etc that's fair enough, I'm not going to play it because it's there or it's cool or all the updates and features are there. Fuck that!

All it is to me is a giant FFA, and FFA is the most boring game mode to me.

I remember playing a game of sabotage on wasteland on MW2 that lasted about 20-30 mins into triple overtime. Was ridiculous but fun thinking back.

I played demo on firing range and have been on both ends of spawn trapping. 

Activision are promoting and promising too much, but providing very little if you scroutinise a recent cod in detail.

It's a shit show at launch. Lack of maps, remakes. The same old guns usually. Terrible lag etc.

I swear there is an AK and an MP5 in the last 8 cod's or something. 

Kinda going off on a tangent here as I ramble. Oh yeah I preordered and I love Moscow the map on CW 😂

2 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

You've just highlighted my exact concern - Modern Warfare had a pretty limited map pool at launch hence why the same maps kept popping up. It's gonna be even more limited in Cold War plus the maps we've seen already (half of the final count) weren't exactly great either. 

Other COD's definitely weren't as bad as this - MW2 and BO1 both had way more off the bat which were all 6v6 appropriate and were designed to accommodate all the other modes on offer. It was a fine and varied selection. Nowadays the devs are not only giving us less content at launch, the maps that are there are split based on the playlist type so there may only be six 6v6 maps in Cold War.  

We should really be getting at least 12-15 original 6v6 maps for starters and if the playlist modes do split the maps then there should be 6 or so ground war on top - 2 is just lame really. 

Off the top of my head:-

MW2 had Afghan, Terminal, Highrise, Karachi, Underpass, Estate, Derail, Quarry, Favela, Skidrow, Sub Base, Invasion, Rust, Rundown, Scrapyard, Wasteland - that's 16 off the top of my head in the base game and I've probably missed a couple. Black Ops had Jungle, Summit, Firing Range, Nukertown, Array, Crisis, Cracked, Hanoi, Havana, Radiation, Villa, Grid, WMD and Launch. I've probably missed one there too but that's about 14. 

A poxy 8 maps for a premium multiplayer FPS game in 2020 is pretty disgraceful really and we already know recycled content is coming once again. 

the maps were  there, the players were the issue. Even with the voting. I knew dam well that if Hijacked was one of the selections it didn't what the other maps were people always picked Hijacked. When they didn't see one of the maps they liked, the backed out hoping for something else

so whatever happens at launch, I am pretty certain people will pick satellite every chance they get until nuke town shows its ugly head

I've disgraced myself - I have pre-ordered and pre-loaded. I didn't have any intentions in getting the game up until this evening but the money is there, discount on top plus I don't really have anything else to play right now through lockdown. I just hope the stuff I do like about the game is enough to keep me engaged and that it doesn't get stale. If it keeps me going until Cyberpunk then I'll be happy. 

1 hour ago, IRaMPaGe said:

That's the problem, it's not MP anymore, it's everything else. BR/Warzone etc. Zombies and campaign sure they have been about for years and that's fine.

Great post! This bit I think is a significant factor - Activision are chasing the battle royale money and the traditional COD experience has suffered tremendously with neglect. IW did try and salvage the core COD experience but only after Warzone was fully established. Too late in the day for many people.

Treyarch neglected the hell out of Black Ops 4 MP and zombies - people even paid for a blind season pass and got barely any worthwhile content in return as David Vonderhaar was solely focused on Blackout. I am worried that Treyarch will once again turn all their attentions to milking the battle royale and the multiplayer will be left to rot along with zombies. Not sure if Warzone will retain its own dedicated team or if there is some sort of handover to 3arc where some of their staff will join the BR team but either way, they have to support everything in the package properly this time. 

In Activision's eyes, free content doesn't make them money and people playing MP means they aren't spending cash in Warzone. 

10 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

I've disgraced myself - I have pre-ordered and pre-loaded. I didn't have any intentions in getting the game up until this evening but the money is there, discount on top plus I don't really have anything else to play right now through lockdown. I just hope the stuff I do like about the game is enough to keep me engaged and that it doesn't get stale. If it keeps me going until Cyberpunk then I'll be happy. 

😂 That lasted long! 

tbf if my ps wasn't borked i'd probably pick it up too