Outdoor cooking

Docwagon

I've been bit by the outdoor cooking bug pretty hard.  I always grilled on occasion, but nothing "special" and maybe 5-10 times a year in total.  A few months ago I bought a smoker.  That's some game changing shit, right there.  It's a combination hobby, science experiment, and art with the result being (usually) very tasty meat.  Trying different kinds of wood, different spice mixes, different temperatures and variations...it's all quite enjoyable.  I note that as I've gotten older my new hobbies are rather sedate, but here we are.

Yesterday I had both the grill AND smoker going at the same time.  Note they are both charcoal/wood, no cheating with gas or electric.  Burgers, fish, and veggies on the grill, whole chickens and shrimp in the smoker.  It's enough food for probably four days.  My wife's happy, as she likes the food and the not cooking as often aspect.  I'm happy because I like the food and it's fun.  My son is happy because food.  I'm waiting to see if a pellet grill goes on sale for Black Friday so I can do long/slow cooks while it's unattended (overnight or while I'm at work).

I'm doing my own dry rubs, but not my own sauces yet.

Anyone else into outdoor cooking?

One of my Basque mates in Tottenham does the occasional Basque barbecue and he's an amazing cook but having no garden that's not something I can do myself sadly. 

I've always been very impressed by the Catalans when I visit Barcelona. They do a lot of outdoor cooking, mostly paella based, and there's friendly competition around it.

I've seen outdoor cooking in the US on TV and those ribs have me salivating.

But when English folk do outdoor cooking it's all burnt crusts and pink uncooked insides in my experience 😁

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I love out door cooking, don’t get to do it often whilst living in London but being out in the wilderness and cooking is a favourite of mine.

I don’t eat meat for 99% of the year but if I’m bbqing, I get a big old slab of meat and then let my body regret it later 😄

Like Phil says, our outdoor cooking differs from America’s out door cooking. We tend to see how much we can drink but you guys see how well you can cook.

Always wanted to try a smoker and proper grill, I also agree with the no gas and coals. Have you tried flavouring your wood? (I feel there’s a joke in there somewhere 😂)

My favorite version of ourdoor cooking is when I go camping.  I use a tripod grill over a fire and do bbq chicken.  I enjoy doing steak on my grill at home.  I don't have a smoker but I'd absolutely love to get one and get into it.  They seem pretty pricy though.  Any out there that are affordable and still decent?  

5abdbe250c715_RespectAll-FearNone.png.9bc1a4f0d1cdab1c7e67e48baf8275b4.png.63941b93d8c1d7bc3f9ca9f365076c45.png

Do it all the time in California due to the nice weather

I measure cooking time based on number of Beers. I have 1, 2 and 3 beer meals. 

I own a gas grill (on our Balcony), the Condo association has Charcoal/smokers in common areas. 

I quite like it. My wife seems to like it because I end up doing the cooking. I do meat, fish, veggies, bread on the grill. Everything is done from scratch

Cedar plank Salmon with a Maple glaze is one of our favorites. 

1 hour ago, cyberninja2601 said:

Maple glaze is one of our favorites. 

...says the Canadian.  🙂  

How have you been, Pat?  I haven't talked with you much lately.  Family doing well?  

5abdbe250c715_RespectAll-FearNone.png.9bc1a4f0d1cdab1c7e67e48baf8275b4.png.63941b93d8c1d7bc3f9ca9f365076c45.png

49 minutes ago, BO7H B4RRELS said:

...says the Canadian.  🙂  

How have you been, Pat?  I haven't talked with you much lately.  Family doing well?  

Unfortunately we get that Vermont non sense and the the beer is like making love in a Canoe (fucking close to water), so it's not so Canadian. 

We are good thanks. 

My son has all of his CPA testing done and just needs the hours now. He's at a big 4 accounting firm. 

My daughter is finishing her last term to graduate as a BioChemist (might be a real good time to have that degree). 

My wife is retired. Adapting to living in Cali as opposed to Canada

I changes roles at Intel. I am now a lead Architect on the coms stuff rather than a people manager. 

Looking forward to this Covid/Election craziness to be over. 

How about you? All good. I see you hang out with little dogs at work

On 11/12/2020 at 4:02 AM, tronic44 said:

I love out door cooking, don’t get to do it often whilst living in London but being out in the wilderness and cooking is a favourite of mine.

I don’t eat meat for 99% of the year but if I’m bbqing, I get a big old slab of meat and then let my body regret it later 😄

Like Phil says, our outdoor cooking differs from America’s out door cooking. We tend to see how much we can drink but you guys see how well you can cook.

Always wanted to try a smoker and proper grill, I also agree with the no gas and coals. Have you tried flavouring your wood? (I feel there’s a joke in there somewhere 😂)

You definitely have drink-outs here as well.  It's usually with burgers and hot dogs on a grill.  I'm not sure what you mean by flavouring the wood.  Different wood already gives a different flavor.  I'm using mostly apple wood, but experimenting with mesquite as well.  Cherry and pecan are very popular as well.

On 11/12/2020 at 4:13 AM, BO7H B4RRELS said:

My favorite version of ourdoor cooking is when I go camping.  I use a tripod grill over a fire and do bbq chicken.  I enjoy doing steak on my grill at home.  I don't have a smoker but I'd absolutely love to get one and get into it.  They seem pretty pricy though.  Any out there that are affordable and still decent?  

Lowe's has an 18" Basso Bullet smoker on sale right now for under $100.  Research bullet smokers to see if it's right for you, but basically it's a smaller smoker that can also be used as a grill or steamer and is in a very small form footprint.  I am using an offset firebox smoker, which is much larger: 

WWW.AMAZON.COM

It's a decent one, but you'll want to do a little bit of modification to really improve it.  I added a high temperature gasket around both doors and sealed up some smoke leaks with high temp silicon.  That helps regulate the temperature better since you can control air flow more.  It's a pretty easy smoker to keep in the 215-225 range.  You'll also want a remote thermometer, as the one in the door only shows the temp in that area, which is much cooler then the bottom racks.  The racks are removeable and you can install them at multiple heights.  What you can't do with this is sear, since it's indirect heat only.  Since you have a grill, you can reverse sear where you smoke to almost done then transfer to the grill just long enough to sear the outside.

My next purchase will be a pellet grill, which is sort of an automated version.  You set the temperature you want and an auger feeds wooden pellets in at the correct rate to maintain that temperature.  That will allow me to do long slow cooks like brisket over night or on work days.  Traeger is probably the most common, but I hear good things about the similarly priced Green Mountain Grills.

1 minute ago, Docwagon said:

I'm not sure what you mean by flavouring the wood.  Different wood already gives a different flavor.  I'm using mostly apple wood, but experimenting with mesquite as well.  Cherry and pecan are very popular as well.

I remembered buy some wood chips for a bbq that had been infused with whiskey...My bad, i've just googled it and they've used wood from the barrel.

il_570xN.2343231999_c6au.jpg
WWW.ETSY.COM

Tennessee Whiskey Jack Daniels Chunks ! AUTHENTIC BARREL! BEST FOR HOME BEER OR SPIRIT BARREL AGEING All chunks were cut from...

17 hours ago, cyberninja2601 said:

Unfortunately we get that Vermont non sense and the the beer is like making love in a Canoe (fucking close to water), so it's not so Canadian. 

We are good thanks. 

My son has all of his CPA testing done and just needs the hours now. He's at a big 4 accounting firm. 

My daughter is finishing her last term to graduate as a BioChemist (might be a real good time to have that degree). 

My wife is retired. Adapting to living in Cali as opposed to Canada

I changes roles at Intel. I am now a lead Architect on the coms stuff rather than a people manager. 

Looking forward to this Covid/Election craziness to be over. 

How about you? All good. I see you hang out with little dogs at work

That's great.  I'm glad to hear your family is doing well.

LOL.  yeah, my boss brought her miniature Pomeranian to work.  He's a sweet little guy.  Not what I'd want for a "dog" but he's a cool little dude.  

My family is well, happy and healthy.  But, like you, I'm ready for this chapter to move on.  

On 11/12/2020 at 4:13 AM, BO7H B4RRELS said:

My favorite version of ourdoor cooking is when I go camping.  

With you on that!  Strangely enough, I was never much of a cook before we bought our trailer but I found that cooking was probably my favorite part about camping.  So I started trying to make some pretty fancy stuff and surprisingly they almost always turned out incredible.  Now I plan out one or two unique dinners every trip to have something new and fun to look forward to, and I always crush the breakfast omlettes/biscuits/gravy/potatoes every morning.  Love the mornings when it's cold and restarting the fire then cranking up the grill.  At some point this week I'm going to buy a 22" blackstone griddle which is going to be my go-to both at home and at the campsite.  I certainly like smoked food but only once in a while for me.  I'm strange I guess - I can absolutely crush some barbecue and get strong cravings for it, but once I've had a meal it takes me a few weeks before I get any cravings again.  So blackstone it is for me which is going to take my game to a whole new level.

If you guys want to talk about Outdoor Grilling - you have to check out this guys youtube channel.  I've copied so many of these meals it's not even funny.  The guy is a hoot too

Kent Rollins

We've gone on our inaugural family camping moment this year and we just dabbled abit in cooked breakfast and basic stuff thats easy. I definitely love the idea of doing it more whilst out camping rather than just at home. We've had a few BBQs but as my wife is a Veggie and i'm the exact opposite it doesn't combine for the most exciting range of food for us as a family!

I know that @Middle Class Caveman  has done some smoking of late and maybe @Stretch616 , @G_dub52 and @crispymorgan  have done something different on their camping expeditions?

42 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

We've gone on our inaugural family camping moment this year and we just dabbled abit in cooked breakfast and basic stuff thats easy. I definitely love the idea of doing it more whilst out camping rather than just at home. We've had a few BBQs but as my wife is a Veggie and i'm the exact opposite it doesn't combine for the most exciting range of food for us as a family!

I know that @Middle Class Caveman  has done some smoking of late and maybe @Stretch616 , @G_dub52 and @crispymorgan  have done something different on their camping expeditions?

I've been trying to BBQ for ages but the bloody weather has not helped. Also, my rain canopy fell apart so it's been a complete shambles! Got out on Sunday though and made some lovely chicken and rustic shepherds pie!

signatures small.jpg

One of our favourites when camping is home made pizzas. Which is one of the simplest things ever. Just a wrap bit of tomato puree, mozzarella and pepperoni. Bang that in a really hot frying pan for a few minutes and you have a great calzone type pizza for a fraction of the cost. Done this many a time with @G_dub52  and it's always gone down well

1 hour ago, Stretch616 said:

One of our favourites when camping is home made pizzas. Which is one of the simplest things ever. Just a wrap bit of tomato puree, mozzarella and pepperoni. Bang that in a really hot frying pan for a few minutes and you have a great calzone type pizza for a fraction of the cost. Done this many a time with @G_dub52  and it's always gone down well

Absolute stormer of a meal that one. Alternatively you can put chicken, guacamole, red onion, cheese and a little squeeze o lime in the wraps which is also reet bangin!

Twitch :  gdub_5252 follow to help me on my road to 50 followers 🙂

@Stretch616 Just thinking we have also thrown some sausages in foil into a fire pit before in Scotland and that didnt work too bad either from memory? although I was smashed tbf 🤣

11 hours ago, Docwagon said:

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving in the US, although I will be working so we'll delay the traditional meal until Friday.  The turkey is brining now, this will be my first attempt to smoke a whole turkey.  It's gonna be awesome or it's going to be shit.  Here's hoping...

Best of luck man I'm sure you will make the perfect turkey 👍 Happy thanksgiving!

On 11/26/2020 at 9:23 AM, G_dub52 said:

Best of luck man I'm sure you will make the perfect turkey 👍 Happy thanksgiving!

20201127_141143.jpg

Turned out pretty good.  Next time I'll use a little less smoke and be a bit more aggressive with the rub under the skin, but all in all I think it turned out really nicely.  Good color, skin was pretty crisp, good flavor.  The flats of the wings were phenomenal, best turkey wing I ever had.  The thinner meat took the seasoning really well and the skin was perfect.  It took about 5 hours at temps averaging 270-ish degrees.  I did a water pan under it for the last 30 minutes or so because the bottom skin was going to get too dark if I didn't.  My rub was garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, kosher sale, medium grind black pepper, and a touch of peri-peri. I butter basted, using Challenge salted butter, every hour once it hit 130 degrees internally.

16 hours ago, Docwagon said:

20201127_141143.jpg

Turned out pretty good.  Next time I'll use a little less smoke and be a bit more aggressive with the rub under the skin, but all in all I think it turned out really nicely.  Good color, skin was pretty crisp, good flavor.  The flats of the wings were phenomenal, best turkey wing I ever had.  The thinner meat took the seasoning really well and the skin was perfect.  It took about 5 hours at temps averaging 270-ish degrees.  I did a water pan under it for the last 30 minutes or so because the bottom skin was going to get too dark if I didn't.  My rub was garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, kosher sale, medium grind black pepper, and a touch of peri-peri. I butter basted, using Challenge salted butter, every hour once it hit 130 degrees internally.

That looks insane! Good work! Glad it worked out well, All of a sudden ive gone really hungry haha 

My wife has been after me to buy a smoker/grill I can use in shit weather.  I know, the opposite problem most guys have.  I finally sprung for a Kamado Joe "Big Joe II" ceramic egg style grill.  It's the tits.  It's expensive, best price I could find was $1499 shipped, but it's proving to be worth it.

1) Temperature control is very easy.  There are no air leaks, so you have full control of air flow in and out.  If you shut both vents, it'll actually kill the fire and save the rest of your charcoal for next time.

2) The ceramic has a lot of thermal mass.  Once it's up to temp it'll stay hot for hours, even if the fire is out, if you don't open it much.

3) It's very efficient with fuel.  See above two points.

4) It's a clean burn.  You get smoke but very little 'dirty' smoke.

I made 2 full racks of ribs, 10 lbs of various sorts of chicken, then let the temp come up from smoking range to grilling range and did 5 flat iron steaks and 3 lbs of party wings (lemon pepper).  That's enough meat to get us through the week, which is probably why my wife likes me to have it so much.  She cooks less, just makes sides to go with the meats.  The ribs were, by far, the tenderest I've done.  Literally fall apart tender.  No dealing with temperature spikes, no dealing with adding fuel during the cook, no dirty smoke from adding cold wood, just easy cooking.

attachment.php?attachmentid=68995&d=1616

attachment.php?attachmentid=68994&d=1616

I have been going back and forth on what I really want when it comes to the outdoor kitchen (whenever we finally get to do it). For the longest time, I wanted a big green egg. Would love to properly smoke delicious things.

Glad you are loving your Kamado! What a treat!

I think all I really want to smoke is brisket.. all the time. Hahaha.