PS5 Storage Space

J4MES OX4D

It's been uncovered that the PS5 will only have 667gb usable drive space rather than 1tb expected and there will be no official expandable storage devices available at launch - only type-comparable ones currently off the shelf and those are not cheap - £150+ for a mid-range one. Cold War and Warzone are expected to take up 60% of the entire drive right off the bat. This is really bad news and it was a terrible idea to ship the console with only a 1tb drive. There should have been a reserve drive of at least 500gb for the OS and then a free clean 1tb drive for games as a minimum. Apparently backward-compatible titles can only have their directory installed to the main fixed drive also which means things could get messy. 

Very disappointing

ps5-3-blogroll-1600203557719.jpg?width=1
WWW.IGN.COM

PlayStation 5 will allow for 667GB of usable storage space on its 825GB SSD.

I saw the Digital Foundry vid where they've revealed PS4 games will play at 60fos on PS5. Amazing.

But yeah looks like they need to release a 2TB model...

I have no need of a new console but to be honest all the buzz around it makes me want one. Must resist 🙃

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

1 hour ago, phil bottle said:

I saw the Digital Foundry vid where they've revealed PS4 games will play at 60fos on PS5. Amazing.

I'll be bloody happy to play Bloodbourne at 60fps - I always got a migraine playing that on the PS4 as not only did it run around the 30 mark, it was also the least smooth expirence I've ever had at this framerate which made it unplayable for me. 60fps would be a gamechanger. 

This is one of my 2 big concerns. Luckily the other one should be okay - Copying is no longer a thing - however it also could become a problem as the reason copying is going away is more down to the SSD inside. Not sure how it will work with an external storage.

I like to have a number of games updated so i can just turn on and play. I apprciate we're living in an era that we update games regularly and i doubt we'll get the cartridge days ever back because there's many pros to it...however, I don't want just 2 games installed on this before I go and get a hard drive. Also, I can't find hard evidence on what you should actually buy as additional storage? If it's external, wouldn't that ruin the speed of games and the whole upgrade of a PS5 as its so dependent on the SSD?

Would love more info on it if anyone has it. One thing I am happy about is a few games that i have that are free upgrades look like they are smaller in size (Destiny 2 is c.70GB).

2 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Also, I can't find hard evidence on what you should actually buy as additional storage? 

Sony hasn't released a whitelist of compatible 3rd party drives yet (probably because they want to sell their own first but those aren't ready in time) but it will have to be an M.2 NVME SSD. Apparently the extra slot that houses such thing wont even be active on release which is even more cuntish from Sony and it will require a hardware OS update. The price range for these currently are around £110-230. A top-end Samsung 970 is £70 for 250gb. Market may get shaken up when Sony's are out and more information on compatibility is available. 

Bog-standard SSD's and high capacity HDD's likely wont work even just to store basic installation data.