Microsoft buys Bethesda, for $7.5 billion

The3rdWalker

106594378-1593215422969gettyimages-96215
WWW.CNBC.COM

Microsoft announced Monday that it will buy ZeniMax Media, the company that owns well-known video game publisher Bethesda, for...

Microsoft announced Monday that it will buy ZeniMax Media, the company that owns well-known video game publisher Bethesda, for $7.5 billion in cash.

It’s one of the most notable video game acquisitions in Microsoft’s history. The company bought Mojang, the studio behind Minecraft, for $2.5 billion in late 2014. That proved to be a boon to the firm as Minecraft surged in popularity, rapidly becoming one of the best-selling games in the world thanks to its simple design and gameplay.

With a developer like Bethesda under Microsoft’s belt, that gives the company access to a raft of successful game franchises, including role-playing game series Fallout and The Elder Scrolls and the Doom shooter series.

“Gaming is the most expansive category in the entertainment industry, as people everywhere turn to gaming to connect, socialize and play with their friends,” Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella said."

“With the addition of Bethesda, Microsoft will grow from 15 to 23 creative studio teams and will be adding Bethesda’s iconic franchises to Xbox Game Pass,” Microsoft said. “This includes Microsoft’s intent to bring Bethesda’s future games into Xbox Game Pass the same day they launch on Xbox or PC, like Starfield, the highly anticipated, new space epic currently in development by Bethesda Game Studios."

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

That's a huge move as they will now own the likes of Doom, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Dishonored and Wolfenstein. Hopefully that'll be the end of the shitty Bethesda platform and the dogshit microtransactions. Maybe they'll also have access to better technology instead of clapped-out crap from 15 years ago still. 

I can't see these brands suddenly becoming Xbox and Windows Exclusives though as they bring in the dosh on Playstation but it could lead to some shit going forward such as content and platform timed exclusives. 

Fg9HQjBE6XoW9uic5StbQ5-1200-80.jpg
WWW.GAMESRADAR.COM

All of ZeniMax Media is becoming part of Xbox

To be fair, ES, Fallout and Doom are all better on PC anyways.  Considering there will be only one ES game in the coming generation, I don't see it being that big of a loss for sony.  I'm waiting to see how they counter this move though.  You've got to figure something is coming.

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*

1 hour ago, phil bottle said:

Of course they are going to make the best ones Xbox exclusives.

This right here @Plumbers Crack  will tell you if it is value for money.

1 hour ago, phil bottle said:

Us PC lot will benefit massively.

And then this because of the Microsoft GamePass you can get on your PC.

Ultimately, after years of Sony trampling all over Microsoft in the console wars with the PS4 and their exclusives, I think we've all been waiting for a big move from them. The talk behind the scenes a week ago was Bungie but that proved to be false and it was actually the other big company beginning with B.

This is definitely a big move by MS. I doubt they'll make the games Xbox (and PC exclusive) as they'd lose a shit ton of money by not selling the games on PS4. Plus it'd be kind of funny for Sony to have to pay MS to licence their games 😦 More likely they've done this so they can put all the games on Game Pass which will then help them sell a lot more Game Pass subscriptions.

fart.gif

2 hours ago, MrBiron said:

More likely they've done this so they can put all the games on Game Pass which will then help them sell a lot more Game Pass subscriptions.

Yeah thats a great shout. They'll absolutely be seeing the key to making regular income moving forward is subscription based products.

9 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

Yeah thats a great shout. They'll absolutely be seeing the key to making regular income moving forward is subscription based products.

Microsoft already has 15 million subscribers (was 10 million in April) and this is what they're concentrating on. Expect to see that rise even more!

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

3 hours ago, MrBiron said:

More likely they've done this so they can put all the games on Game Pass which will then help them sell a lot more Game Pass subscriptions.

They've confirmed that all future releases from this deal with be on the game pass day one although I am more likely to buy their games individually rather than access them this way. 

Microsoft Games pass is becoming an absolute powerhouse, forget the play between console and pc, the collection alone is getting insane. Maybe Microsoft can get Bethesda to give up that spaghetti code they've been using since 2000.

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

25 minutes ago, BO7H B4RRELS said:

With more money and resources at their disposal, any chance of Bethesda releasing TES: 6 any sooner than originally planned?  Thoughts?  

I'd say unlikely - if anything, it could delay the game further for improvements. We still don't know how far along Bethesda are on this game or what Microsoft are looking to add in the short term regarding ongoing projects. Development may just continue as normal with Microsoft taking a backseat and collecting the cash or there could be internal changes to personnel and their hardware. There is already a huge disparity between the tech Microsoft have at their disposal and what the Bethesda staff have been using.

Hopefully more information will be revealed about TES6 but I probably wouldn't expect to see this game out until at least 2024. Starfield seems to be their main upcoming focus right now.