Cold War Alpha PS4 Sept 18th-20th

J4MES OX4D

Download is now LIVE

50350922756_36e2d4c639_k.jpg
BLOG.PLAYSTATION.COM

All PS4 owners can get a taste of the next generation of global combat this weekend in the Alpha. Details to follow, including maps and modes.

All

The COD Cold War Alpha is available to download and play today. 

This exclusive weekend commences on September 18 at 10am Pacific / 6pm BST, and is set to conclude on September 20 at 10am Pacific / 6pm BST

BLOG.PLAYSTATION.COM

All PS4 owners can get a taste of the next generation of global combat this weekend in the Alpha. Details to follow, including maps and modes.

cba

7 minutes ago, LordBaguette said:

All

The COD Cold War Alpha is available to download and play today. 

This exclusive weekend commences on September 18 at 10am Pacific / 6pm BST, and is set to conclude on September 20 at 10am Pacific / 6pm BST

BLOG.PLAYSTATION.COM

I merged your topic Tom because James already put it up yesterday.

I've also added an event up for everyone to see who might be around over the weekend for it too 👍

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

23 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I merged your topic Tom because James already put it up yesterday.

I've also added an event up for everyone to see who might be around over the weekend for it too 👍

poo sorry didnt see it

cba

I've just played a handful of matches and although it's too early to make a proper judgement, I don't think this game is all that good so far. The visuals are really showing their age on my old gen PS4 and there are some nasty chromatic effects in play. Some of the maps have really muddy textures so it can be very difficult to spot enemies at times and the bullet tracing effects look horrendous. One massive departure is the weapon animations - they look so basic that it feels a big step back compared to MW2019 and it makes you appreciate how solid the guns were in that game. Cold War just feels tacky and unrefined in places. 

The Ground War type mode also seems flawed as you can't choose your spawn so you just spend most of the match looking for vehicles or going over your footsteps to push forward. I haven't played on the boat map yet but the snow one is awful. The 6v6 maps aren't great although the Miami map is really good looking and plays pretty well. Maybe a bit too big 12 players though. The desert one is horrible with spawn-trapping and camping and the Moscow one feels like any other COD map we've done a million times over. 

It's still early days but this doesn't feel like a proper COD game - it's more like a spin-off or F2P-type game that doesn't do anything new. I'm gonna play a bit more tonight and if I haven't uninstalled it, over the coming days but I don't think my opinion will change too much. I'd even say the MW2 Remastered campaign felt more refined and mechanically satisfying. 

Played on the ship map which seemed ok but boats are very OP. Got spawn trapped on the Moscow 6v6 map which was a joke. Terrible map but that just made it worse. Also when you’re playing objective modes, the announcer won’t shut the fuck up and it’s really hard to keep track of your scorestreak progression. 

Frame rate is dogshit and the animations are a massive issue - I keep getting killed by players who are not facing me but shooting sideways from my POV and everything seems so basic compared to MW. 

I haven’t enjoyed a single minute so far so I removed the alpha altogether and don’t want to waste anymore time on it. It’ll be much better on PC and next gen with performance but there’s just too many flaws in the gameplay and design IMO.

I tried a few matches. I hadn't been online in probably a year. couldn't help but notice that I didn't see a single FG member on my friends list playing

I guess we are all COD out. 

I didn't mind the game, however I found myself bored after 2-3 matches and turning it off. Most of the matches were TDM which I despise. 

I like the score streak system. It might get people to actually play the objective but I don't see myself spending too much free time on this game either

I played a few games yesterday but the fact I haven't been jumping back on says alot. I was hoping for a,maybe not great but at least enjoyable experience and in some games I got that. It's hard to tell how it's going to be when your restricted to 3 maps one of which is truly awful (Miami) I also hate tdm so those games I started to leave. Graphics, don't really care too much if you can spot enemy players but as stated in these maps it can be difficult. Dom played quite well and the scorestreak system isn't as bad as I thought it would be.

However the maps are as always a big issue, if we don't see any improvement in the beta I'm going to leave my decision till after the game releases. I may even be a little over cod 🤔 I don't see why they have an issue with being able to make a fun game, they don't need reinvent the wheel ffs.

I played it for a few hours over the weekend. It was ok, but didn't set the world on fire. The sniper rifles were buffed on purpose apparently, although I didn't use them at all, I can't snipe in CoD for shit. Mainly used Assault rifles which were pretty fun to use. It must be bad though because I was scoring and "eliminating" enemies relatively easily. Best game I can remember was Kill Confirmed on the desert map at 36-6. There must have been a load of buddy 8 year old Rambo's playing that one.

There was one thing that did make me laugh out loud, some guy was trolling a kid in the pre-game lobby telling him that he had eaten his shit everyday and then called him young man!! 🤣

Maps were ok ish, although I did quite like Miami, which might go against the grain. I'm just not sure this one will capture the imagination as much as Modern Warfare to be honest. We'll see what the Beta brings in Oct and go from there. The only bonus was they were offering a cross gen option on the pre-sale.

I'm more looking forwards to seeing what DICE do with Battlefield to be honest.

18 hours ago, cyberninja2601 said:

I tried a few matches. I hadn't been online in probably a year. couldn't help but notice that I didn't see a single FG member on my friends list playing

I guess we are all COD out. 

We'll have to check your friends list Pat, as you've been away for so long! I wouldn't read much into it as not many got chance to play it (I didn't either). There's actually quite a few playing MW still and I think that will continue.

The impressions above make me still think that MW is likely to be one that could stay around for a little while longer if there hasn't been much progress in this CoD.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

4 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

We'll have to check your friends list Pat, as you've been away for so long! I wouldn't read much into it as not many got chance to play it (I didn't either). There's actually quite a few playing MW still and I think that will continue.

The impressions above make me still think that MW is likely to be one that could stay around for a little while longer if there hasn't been much progress in this CoD.

I could see people on my friends list so that's not the issue. Most people were playing something else which is fine

I play MW on the Xbox. I got feedup with PS+ and their networking woes. Never had a problem with Microsoft

I just took the opportunity on the PS4 since the games was free and figured and might run into some of you. Being in California, most people are asleep by the time I get on so it doesn't make that much difference. 

1 hour ago, cyberninja2601 said:

I could see people on my friends list so that's not the issue. Most people were playing something else which is fine

I play MW on the Xbox. I got feedup with PS+ and their networking woes. Never had a problem with Microsoft

I just took the opportunity on the PS4 since the games was free and figured and might run into some of you. Being in California, most people are asleep by the time I get on so it doesn't make that much difference. 

Yeah, but we still luv ya baby! 😘

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork