GT Sport - FG Races

GazzaGarratt

This week it's 

Gr.3 Mount Panorama 

Gr.4 Dragon Tail

N300 Goodwood

I think Dragon Tail was quite recent, so maybe Mount Panorama first and Goodwood second. 

Panorama is my achilles heel of a track, but it's a really fun race and at Gr.3 will be fast as well.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

1 hour ago, Mikepjbell said:

I'm good for Tuesday this week. 

Nordschleife? 

Nordschleife? You're being cryptic there😁 but if you're suggesting a track, we stick to the official online weekly daily races set out by Gran Turismo.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

16 minutes ago, Spacedeck said:

Well as it turns out, getting a new controller doesn't actually make me a contender 😂.  I can't put a finger on why I'm so slow, I swear I used to perform alright during them time trials. 

I was slow on the first two weeks to be fair. Have a look at your cars traction control settings and try a few laps with it set to 1 or 0. Also practice practice practice. 

Just reinstalled this tonight and started to run some laps, I'm not going back to auto gears. With some of you guys times posted I got a little bit obsessed and managed to beat a few. My problem with driving games is I'm ok on my own but running races I react to other cars more than the track, even the ghost car puts me off. 

I noticed the same problem when doing GTA.

If it helps at all, last night in the second race every single one of us apart from kiwi followed Greebs off the track and into a bit of off roading 😂😂

I’d still say join Gary, it’s all for fun and while do race there is still the occasional contact and accidents so I wouldn’t worry about it.

In my defence, I got up on 2 wheels and as soon as the car got back on all 4 it just snaps and spins me.  All you lot just clean drove off the circuit 😆

I saved the replay so will record it from all the angles as it was funny and post it with the proper results and my write up tonight.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

Tuesdays nights races were a mixture of frustration (Bathurst) and hilarious (Goodwood) for me. 

always knew I was going to struggle against @Greboth and his relentless pace on mount panorama especially as I was unfairly handicapped in the first race by having to start at the back 😂 A last minute decision to swap from the GTR to the Viper was borne from needing more speed but at the risk of being very inconsistent. Unfortunately this didn’t payoff at all as I struggled for a rhythm on the circuit in the race and my fastest lap was about 2 secs away from what I knew I could do. Was extremely disappointed in my drive. 

Goodwood tho was brilliant. Having actual race experience on the circuit was probably a benefit right up to the point where a certain someone wanted to race in E Types *cough* @Greboth *cough*

The hilarity of approaching every corner pretty much sideways in a four wheel drift was definitely an eye opener with the threat of getting spat off the circuit and every moment. A couple of dodgy moments and a reset meant a really good race with @Mikepjbell  towards the end. 

more practice needed I think and time to swap to manual gears

APmVvKG.gif

The first race was always going to be the hardest, going over the mountain section of Bathurst you have to be accurate else you'll lose time stick it in a wall.  Practice went alright and managed to get my times down to around mid 2:04's but I knew there was more time available.  Stupidly I forgot to set a qualifying sessions up with the lobby so straight to the race.  No worries, it uses practice times as quali times so we're all good - nope!  Guess who left it as the default so I think it goes in the order people joined the lobby and putting Kiwi last.  Not that it slowed him down as I'm pretty sure he was up to 2nd after the 1st corner.  So for me at this point it was just a case of out pacing Kiwi who I think made a mistake on lap 1.  After that it was mostly a case of hotlapping for me and I managed to get my time down to low 2:03's which is more respectable.

Final positions;

1462850645_FGGTMountPanoramaResults.thumb.jpg.85e2e5ad6d8567a6e5c0f2e76a629691.jpg

Race 2, Goodwood.  We decided that as the official race was a single car that we would also run a single car.  Being the Goodwood circuit, I suggesting running Jaguar E types as, I think, the only racing that takes place on the circuit is historic.  Being an old car, I thought I'd go full h shifter manual which was a mistake as my heel and toe is not up to snuff.  Still I qualified second, not too far behind Kiwi so I thought I'd have a chance in the race but nope.  Taking a fast right hander, clipped the inside kerb throwing my on to 2 wheels and I thought I was holding the slide reasonable well until the car got back on 4 wheels and instantly snapped round on me.  Thankfully there's plenty of grass run off as Lee, Mike and Harold all followed me off in form or another 😆

Well there went my chance of a win unless Kiwi has a massive off....which he didn't.  After that though I had a pretty clean race and climbed up to third and only a few seconds behind Mike.  I think I set the fastest lap of the race on the last lap too so could have had Mike with another lap or 2 but that's racing.

Final positions;

1405719341_FGGTGoodwoodResults.thumb.jpg.8ef5e9e0bc881b794c56dbf171c2fd56.jpg

Having a second race with lower class N cars and on smaller tracks definitely provides some fun and unexpected results.

Had to have another go on Bathurst because my lack of competitiveness was still annoying me 48 hours after we raced 😂

just wanted to prove to myself that I could get into the 2.04s and ended up running away from everyone 😄 the switch to manual gears made a hell of a difference in improving the consistency 

DC8754F3-93B7-424F-ADF6-30E8A699E3D8.jpeg

APmVvKG.gif

Nice one Kiwi! Probably a good job you were out front though as some of the sport races, especially places like Bathurst, can be horrible.

If you can set 2:04's there is only one answer, we'll have to re-run Gr.3 Bathurst next week 😄

On 10/28/2020 at 7:30 PM, techno said:

Just reinstalled this tonight and started to run some laps, I'm not going back to auto gears. With some of you guys times posted I got a little bit obsessed and managed to beat a few. My problem with driving games is I'm ok on my own but running races I react to other cars more than the track, even the ghost car puts me off. 

I noticed the same problem when doing GTA.

I'd definitely get involved if you can Gary. When do you come off nights? The racing has actually meant for the slower people here (me) it means we actually get a chance against the others because we all make mistakes. Plus, I've improved being in their company because we can ask each other questions on what's working or what I can fix when I find problems on significant parts of the track.

Great races this week and fantastic to come back a few days later and read all your thoughts and hilarious bits. My Tl;dr? - I was utter crap. Probably because I was distracted by Rovers playing. 😄

7 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I'd definitely get involved if you can Gary. When do you come off nights? The racing has actually meant for the slower people here (me) it means we actually get a chance against the others because we all make mistakes. Plus, I've improved being in their company because we can ask each other questions on what's working or what I can fix when I find problems on significant parts of the track.

Great races this week and fantastic to come back a few days later and read all your thoughts and hilarious bits. My Tl;dr? - I was utter crap. Probably because I was distracted by Rovers playing. 😄

Yeah I don't come off nights now they sacked that shit off thankfully, but I might be upto speed by the time of my next hol from work and I'll give it a go 👍

I can’t be the only one that doesn’t understand how penalties are worked sometimes on online racing.

I get punted off at high speed by someone who didn’t use their brakes at all, and somehow I lose positions, lose time and I also get a 5sec penalty on top of that which completely kills me because they insist on the penalty being taken on a straight which means I lose even more then 5 secs. To compound my issue, i get punted off again as I’m getting back up to speed because it switches the ghosting off as someone comes steaming up to me again and I get slapped off once again 😡

The person who caused the issue, finished second with no penalties whatsoever...

APmVvKG.gif

You're definitely not alone in that.  They used to be pretty decent at getting it correct then there was an update, earlier this year I think, that messed them all up and it was a common problem of penalties being given to the victims.  It was around this when I stopped doing the sport races as even in S safety rating lobbies you still go people doing that.  It has been improved since it was its worst but still seems worse than it was originally.

I won't be able to make tomorrow night which is a bit of a bummer. 

However I think I'm going to invest a bit more time in the game and start doing some online races and see if I can get my driving rank up a bit. A lot of the lobbies I've found so far have been pretty pants though. 

1 hour ago, JBR-Kiwi said:

I see you @phil bottlepractising away on Laguna seca 😄

some of those top 10 times are rapid this week!! 

Ah, I suspect you've left me a nice lap time to track😁 I've managed a high 1:27 in the past but struggled to get below 1:30 in a little stint earlier. So I may sneak on again at some point...😎

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

8 minutes ago, phil bottle said:

Ah, I suspect you've left me a nice lap time to track😁 I've managed a high 1:27 in the past but struggled to get below 1:30 in a little stint earlier. So I may sneak on again at some point...😎

Might have had to have a few go’s at beating your time set earlier...

Struggling a little at the moment to be honest. That TT cup car revs in a really weird way when you are at low speed which means you can easily find yourself in the wrong gear through no fault of your own. 

ive got to be braver about carrying speed into corners on this track but that gravel trap is  worryingly close... 

APmVvKG.gif

51 minutes ago, JBR-Kiwi said:

Might have had to have a few go’s at beating your time set earlier...

Struggling a little at the moment to be honest. That TT cup car revs in a really weird way when you are at low speed which means you can easily find yourself in the wrong gear through no fault of your own. 

ive got to be braver about carrying speed into corners on this track but that gravel trap is  worryingly close... 

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean on the TT's gears, plus deciding whether to take certain corners in third or fourth is where I'm losing time. It was a lot smoother in the Megane but I couldn't get the same pace with it. 

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Urgh! I wish they’d release an update as seems almost every track the TT or RCZ is one of fastest,if not thefastest, car to use.

Sounds like I need to get on early and put in some practise then.  Laguna Seca reminds me of Goodwood on the sense of very little or no kerbs for run off so need to be precise.

On 11/2/2020 at 11:10 AM, Mikepjbell said:

I won't be able to make tomorrow night which is a bit of a bummer. 

However I think I'm going to invest a bit more time in the game and start doing some online races and see if I can get my driving rank up a bit. A lot of the lobbies I've found so far have been pretty pants though. 

Shame you’re not going to make it mate, hopefully see you back next week.

Regarding the online races, are you doing sport races or general online races on lobbies?  Random onlone lobbies in any racing game can be hit and miss.  If you do the sport races and can get your safety rating as high as possible then they’re generally alright except the occasional asshole.

If you ever want to check your exact DR or SR you can check your rating by searching your psn then clicking your name followed by some numbers to see your history.  The first number your DR, the second is your SR

Kerbs are also a bit funny at Laguna. One lap you can rider them fine with no issues and then next lap, with the same line and approach speed, you suddenly feel like your car has hit a massive pothole and it flicks you straight off the track with no hesitation. 

Love the track but man is it a temperamental one 

APmVvKG.gif