GT Sport - FG Races

GazzaGarratt

A spin off from what we've doing over recent months (or should I say @Greboth and @phil bottle a lot more than me!) is rather doing just time trials, selecting the weekly race, having a few practice/qualifying laps and then having a 11 lap race. Phil took me on a spin last night and it was seriously good fun, much different to our Friday night banter, smash everyone in sight, games. I think it also helps you understand more about the cars strengths/weaknesses as well as the track layout which is a massive factor if we are turning it into a race. There were minor penalties on too for cutting corners or going ignoring the speed limit which really did work when i thought initially it wouldn't.

I'm thinking we should make this into a little mini series. GT Sport is £12.99 on Amazon next day delivery now and anyone that loves racing games is a fool not to own the game already. @Greboth @G_dub52  @JBR-Kiwi  what do you reckon? 

On 8/31/2020 at 12:04 PM, GazzaGarratt said:

A spin off from what we've doing over recent months (or should I say @Greboth and @phil bottle a lot more than me!) is rather doing just time trials, selecting the weekly race, having a few practice/qualifying laps and then having a 11 lap race. Phil took me on a spin last night and it was seriously good fun, much different to our Friday night banter, smash everyone in sight, games. I think it also helps you understand more about the cars strengths/weaknesses as well as the track layout which is a massive factor if we are turning it into a race. There were minor penalties on too for cutting corners or going ignoring the speed limit which really did work when i thought initially it wouldn't.

I'm thinking we should make this into a little mini series. GT Sport is £12.99 on Amazon next day delivery now and anyone that loves racing games is a fool not to own the game already. @Greboth @G_dub52  @JBR-Kiwi  what do you reckon? 

As much as I would love to be all over this I am not getting the time for the AC stuff yet plus I need to wait till payday again haha.

If you guys get up and running I will try and buy and join in next month some more. 👍

Twitch :  gdub_5252 follow to help me on my road to 50 followers 🙂

On 8/31/2020 at 12:04 PM, GazzaGarratt said:

yes would definitely be up for this.
To be honest atm I’m just working my way through the challenges and that as I’ve got gold in all the licence tasks. Just trying to top the leaderboards above all my mates 😂

APmVvKG.gif

On 9/3/2020 at 12:32 PM, JBR-Kiwi said:

Just trying to top the leaderboards above all my mates 😂

Thats exactly how I started out mate 🤣 Great stuff, I'm sure we can rope a few more in but even with a few of us, just helps to get used to tracks and cars with another couple of people. I'll see if we can grab an evening for a cheeky event! 👍

I had a go on the daily races yesterday during my lunch break. Fucking disaster😁

First race, as it was loading  the track I somehow got disconnected, which lost me a few hundred points.

I'm driver rating D but was on the cusp of going up to C until that happened.

So, tried again, went for the Gr 4 race at Monza and qualified 3rd in a mix of D with a few C rated drivers.

Started really well, I think the front 2 forgot to adjust their traction control, as it was a standing start.

So yeah, I led for the first 3 laps out of 4, then on lap 3 I received a 0.5 second penalty for cutting the second chicane. The car behind was a second down but that penalty at Monza is on a fast straight so you lose more than 0.5.

Not all bad, only two cars over took me and in the slip stream I felt like I could get my place back.

On lap 4, the first chicane witnessed a murder. The poor bloke in 2nd broke earlier than I would brake, I also carried that  slipstream speed,  I booted him up the arse and into the shadow realm. For which I recieved a 2 second penalty and an eventual 7th place.

Dammit😂

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Ouch Phil, I tend to avoid Monza full stop as T1 is usually a massacre but outside your own mistakes it sounds like a clean race.

A couple good races though should see you get your 100 points back so I’m sure you can in to C soon 🙂 

I’m half and half about trying gt sport again to get some practice in and the feel of the cars in preparation for our races.  I’m also equally thinking I’ll just go on blind, what’s the worst that could happen.  I think I need to check @JBR-Kiwi times to see how fast he is to know if I need practice 😄 

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

The daily races this week don't include Gr 3, which is a shame, but at least the Gr 4 race is on a decent track, Lago Maggiore.

I intend to set up a lobby every night on PS4 this week from 10pm onwards for anyone who wants to drop in. If anyone joins I'll make it a session of 10 or 15 minutes of qualifying and then an 11 lap race with tyre wear and fuel.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

@GrebothWhen does your new rig arrive? ----> 

curv_x_aston_martin_amr-c01_racing_simul
WWW.AUTOCAR.CO.UK

Simulator features a carbonfibre monocoque, Valkyrie-style seating position and Aston's trademark grille

1 hour ago, G_dub52 said:

@GrebothWhen does your new rig arrive? ----> 

curv_x_aston_martin_amr-c01_racing_simul
WWW.AUTOCAR.CO.UK

Simulator features a carbonfibre monocoque, Valkyrie-style seating position and Aston's trademark grille

I have the £500, any chance you can lend me the additional £57k?

52 minutes ago, Greboth said:

I have the £500, any chance you can lend me the additional £57k?

I wish I had the £500 mate 😪

If the lottery rolls in your at the front of the list 👍

12 hours ago, G_dub52 said:

I wish I had the £500 mate 😪

If the lottery rolls in your at the front of the list 👍

Hmmmm 😞 ok... @GazzaGarratt how much is in the FGFGF? 😂

Racing was fun last night, we all picked very different cars which made things interesting.  I think we need a rematch now Lee has had some more practice and maybe Phil won’t try an impossible one stop.

It was a great little race we had last night, didn't expect it either so nice one @phil bottle for sorting it and nudging me at the end of FIFA last night. Considering I play the least and never played that track before it felt pretty good to get round. Turns 1 and 2 essentially killed the laps for me, I think it didn't help being in the Mclaren, drifting everywhere. Still, when the race got going with a reverse grid I managed to keep the lead for most of that first lap and kept with you both for at least the first 3-4 laps too. The backend would just drift too much around the corners which was painful.

Greebs did what he does best in the end and punished us in the later laps. I took a picture of the race result over 11 laps as its a nice marker to start with for our very first proper FG race.

gt sport race week 1.jpg

Now we just need @JBR-Kiwi  and @Mikepjbell  on it too

1 hour ago, Mikepjbell said:

I'm definitely up for this! Need to get in some practice though  🙃

Yes. Yes you do. 😎

Really down for this boys! Just let me know when and where. 

I'm trying to work out if I could utilise an old kart chassis I have as a racing rig but I’m terrified it could end up in divorce when the wife comes home and finds it in the front room 😄

APmVvKG.gif

2 hours ago, JBR-Kiwi said:

Really down for this boys! Just let me know when and where. 

I'm trying to work out if I could utilise an old kart chassis I have as a racing rig but I’m terrified it could end up in divorce when the wife comes home and finds it in the front room 😄

The more the merrier.....just don't beat me else I might definitely hold it against you 😆

It would take a bit of fabrication but you could certainly use an old kart as a rig.  I don't know about Thrustmaster but certainly Logitech and Fanatec CSL pedals can be taken out of their housing so you could easily mount the throttle and brake separately in the kart frame.  The wheel would be a bit more trouble but I'm sure nothing you couldn't work out.  It sounds like the only real question is where could you put it that doesn't end in divorce....

Okay, awesome @JBR-Kiwi  and @Mikepjbell . We'll aim for another week night next week me thinks, @phil bottle's idea of doing a weekly event and getting on whatever late night you can gets you working at the track and cars. Maybe for the actual race we could try Tuesday possibly? We'll put something up as an event so make sure you keep an eye out for it! @Greboth, standard mandatory acceptance is required 🤣

Mandatory acceptance? Like I'm going to miss out on any racing!

I've heard back about my pedals today and they said they'll send me the replacement part so hopefully it won't take too long to get to me and fix the problem then I can be even further ahead 😁

Couple of good races last night, though I was a bit sloppy around Monza with my 11 seconds of penalties.

With @JBR-Kiwi also being very quick, @GazzaGarrattgetting closer all the time, @Mikepjbell great first showing, and @Grebothonly slightly more vulnerable using a controller...

looks like we're going to have some epic racing ahead 🙂👍

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I thought last night's session and races were fantastic!

Brands Hatch was the first race with @phil bottle @Greboth @Mikepjbell  and myself - qualifying went better than the race for sure! The race started well with Mike and myself keeping Greebs at bay - or so we thought - as he was clearly waiting for us to make mistakes to power on through. Mike tried to make his tyres last longer than mine but we both found out the hard way we end up in the Gravel too much for our liking and with me pitting a few laps before him, his lap times just faded very quickly. I didn't manage the tyres and pits well at all so the usual response happened with Greebs 1st and Philly 2nd.

When @JBR-Kiwi  turned up though we decided to have another race but this time on Monza which was absolutely epic. What I really enjoyed was the 13 lap race and no restrictions on tyres so we all had to work out a strategy on what to do and also fill up petrol along the way. Kiwi was super quick at the start and Phil followed close behind him. I broke too late and hit make on Lap 2 which effectively meant me stopping to allow him past - losing around 10/12 seconds of time AND Greebs taking a place for free. With him on Medium tyres and the leaders on Super Soft there really was a big gap and we didn't know what would happen.

Then it all started to unfold.

Kiwi had a crash (2 in the end i believe), with Phil picking up huge time penalties for cuttting corners - 10 seconds in the end. Greebs picked Medium tyres again and was fighting Phil for the lead even though the penalty loomed over him. I decided to pit extremely late, started with Soft and went to Super Soft tyres with 3 laps to go which let me catch up Kiwi (his 2nd crash helped with that too). On the final straight Phil had to break at the finishing line to get rid of his penalty and I just could quite catch him. Shame as I was only a few seconds off him in the end, which was the result of a few badly taken corners. Mike had a struggle at the back after a few more crashes after regaining 4th early on. Still, a valiant effort after the first time being on the game for many months.

GGs all, super racing properly and trying to learn all of this. Looking forward to the next one already!!

@phil bottle @Greboth @Mikepjbell  @JBR-Kiwi

I was honestly shocked by how far off the pace I was in both races. I usually pick up racing games very easily but I think I'll need a lot of practice before the next round! 

Side note, I think we should have a championship /table over say 6 months?