Gaming Monitor for PS5

Dan94

Hi guys

So as I've explained in my personal progress report thread, following my recent split up I've decided to change my room around and I'm going to be purchasing a new big TV and also get a separate gaming monitor for PS4/PS5. I want it to be 4K to make the most of the new PS5 and obviously a <1ms response time. I've found this after doing a quick search, reviews seem good on this site but mixed elsewhere, often you get what you pay for and all that and this is much cheaper than any other similar monitor I've found (most of the others are £220+).

EIQ-284KMB-HDR_1_LargeProductImage.jpg?w
WWW.LAPTOPSDIRECT.CO.UK

Buy electriQ 28" 4K Ultra HD HDR 1ms FreeSync Gaming Monitor from LaptopsDirect

Anyone have any thoughts or perhaps could share the monitor they use? I'd be looking at around 26-28inch ideally.

Cheers in advance

I have 24" MSI ones and they're absolutely awesome and just cost over £200 at the time - however they aren't 4K. 4K is the rare commodity due to how little things use them these days.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-VP28UQG-Display-Adaptive-FreeSync/dp/B075CQ5Z8R/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=gaming+monitor+4k&qid=1598215191&sr=8-3

This one is the top choice on Amazon however its not 1440p but that wouldn't matter if its just console. Big question for you should be, are you looking to grow into PC gaming on top of console? You may need a slightly bigger budget if you want the ultimate best 4K monitor.

There isn't much of a selection on 4K monitors right now so going for a temporary cheap and cheerful option might not be a bad idea especially if it's just for console gaming. If you then want to invest in something better in the future, you can do that when something decent comes along and manufacturers ranges improve. If you want a more recognised brand then this is probably a decent alternative for a little bit more

t_10132570.jpg
WWW.CURRYS.CO.UK

4K Ultra HD 3840 x 2160p; Response time: 1 ms; Input: HDMI / DisplayPort; Can be wall mounted

On 8/24/2020 at 9:23 AM, J4MES OX4D said:

There isn't much of a selection on 4K monitors right now so going for a temporary cheap and cheerful option might not be a bad idea especially if it's just for console gaming. If you then want to invest in something better in the future, you can do that when something decent comes along and manufacturers ranges improve. If you want a more recognised brand then this is probably a decent alternative for a little bit more

t_10132570.jpg

Buy SAMSUNG LU28E590DS 4K Ultra HD 28" LED Monitor | Free Delivery | Currys

WWW.CURRYS.CO.UK

4K Ultra HD 3840 x 2160p; Response time: 1 ms; Input: HDMI / DisplayPort; Can be wall mounted

Cheers mate, must've missed that one. Reason for 4K is really for the new PS5

Yeah @Dan94 , I'm totally with @J4MES OX4D  on this as i'm just not sure 4k is ultimately needed quite yet. 4k feels like this Ultra HD mode that Sky try to flog but if i'm honest we all don't get much benefit from it. I think we've had the biggest jump that our eyes could take from Standard graphics to Full HD.

Also, you didn't get my subtle hint to clearly pick up a PC if you get a PC gaming monitor. You know it makes sense to have all of the things!

4 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

You know it makes sense to have all of the things!

aaahhh!!! The @Greboth Creed of Minecraft...you'll fit in well Lee...when you eventually install it! <subtle hint> 🤣

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

On 8/26/2020 at 9:42 AM, GazzaGarratt said:

Yeah @Dan94 , I'm totally with @J4MES OX4D  on this as i'm just not sure 4k is ultimately needed quite yet. 4k feels like this Ultra HD mode that Sky try to flog but if i'm honest we all don't get much benefit from it. I think we've had the biggest jump that our eyes could take from Standard graphics to Full HD.

Also, you didn't get my subtle hint to clearly pick up a PC if you get a PC gaming monitor. You know it makes sense to have all of the things!

Haha potentially, it depends if Crossplay stays as a big thing with most games as all my friends are on console pretty much

Tbf, my new 4K UHD TV has a built in game mode which seems very good and sharper/quicker than my old TV. Think I'll stick with that for now, then maybe get a monitor when the PS5 comes out. Seems to be good for now though, so may be alright

1 hour ago, Dan94 said:

Tbf, my new 4K UHD TV has a built in game mode which seems very good and sharper/quicker than my old TV. Think I'll stick with that for now, then maybe get a monitor when the PS5 comes out. Seems to be good for now though, so may be alright

Same as that, Samsung have that feature in their 4K TVs.

Also, I have a PS4 Pro and when playing 4K I've never needed to use the game mode so far.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Ok so here's the deal.

Monitors are all about context. If you're coming from a 17" CRT then even a basic little 24" 1080p LCD will blow you away. I've slowly climbed the ladder going through this exact path, and am currently gaming on a 34" 1440p 100hz MSI curved jobbie which cost a pretty penny (£350, still fuck all in monitor terms tbh) but I absolutely love it. I've always said that no matter what you game on, no matter whether it's PC, console, or even a fucking calculator - you're always staring at your monitor, so get something good. Nothing more disappointing than seeing someone spend £1k+ on a fancy PC with a graphics card putting out a bajillion FPS on a monitor that looks like it belongs in a 90s post office. When it comes to gaming, the things you actually interact with are where you need to spend the most money. Controllers, keyboards, mice, monitor, headset, etc. These are the things you're in direct contact with every moment of every gaming session so make sure it's exactly what you want, and that you're happy with it. @phil bottle has pretty much reached the pinnacle of affordable stuff with his ROG monitor, going another step up from that is - and this is no exaggeration - an increase of about ten fold. Monitors are second only to GPUs when it comes to diminishing returns. The more you pay, the smaller the bells and whistles get.

4k is a waste of money. I've been in this game long enough to be able to tell you that 4k gaming on the ps5 won't be 4k. It'll be pre-rendered cut-scenes and any gameplay will either be massively reduced in quality, or it'll run at 5fps. It'll very likely chop down to 1080p, or 1440p if you're lucky. To reliably game in 4k on a PC, you're looking at double, or even triple the price of a PS5 for the graphics cards alone. And that's on the lower end of the scale. To get good FPS, you're looking at a pair of 2080 supers, which will cost you £1500, and then you need the rest of the hardware to feed them with enough juice and enough pixels to render. A good 4k gaming PC is easily north of £3k, and that's without monitor or peripherals. No console is coming close to that for a long, long time. 

For refresh rates, 1ms is wasted on consoles. Unless you intend to go all competitive and use a keyboard and mouse, that 1ms will be cancelled out by using a controller anyway. To benefit from such short refresh rates, you really want a PC with keyboard and mouse. 

That all being said...

I have a 32" 1440p monitor at home, it's a bit of a beast, it's by no stretch of the imagination a high-end monitor but it's still fantastic, @Plumbers Crack  games on exactly the same one, maybe he'll pop in and give us his thoughts. In fact, it's this exact model. If you want it, it's yours for the price of postage and a few beer tokens in the FGFGFGFGFGFGFG to help @GazzaGarratt Dad with the site maintenance costs. Let me know.

If it's not your bag however and you just want something nice and new, then this is your daddy:

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/msi-32-quad-hd-144hz-1ms-va-curved-freesync-gaming-monitor-2020-ps33155-at-aoebay-with-code-3529362

banlol.png