Nvidia RTX 3090 / 3000 Range

J4MES OX4D

I'm kinda glad I picked this time to start building my first pc because I think the 3080 will be perfect for my complete setup im going with and not killing the bank to badly. I should be able to do a lot of stuff with it so hopefully I'll be able to get ahold of one of those cards because a lot of people are going to be after them especially the 3080 and the 3070 just for price point alone. Let me know what yall think and if you wanna know me setup as well that I got going for my build that im still working on.

10 hours ago, FallenDark200 said:

I'm kinda glad I picked this time to start building my first pc because I think the 3080 will be perfect for my complete setup im going with and not killing the bank to badly. I should be able to do a lot of stuff with it so hopefully I'll be able to get ahold of one of those cards because a lot of people are going to be after them especially the 3080 and the 3070 just for price point alone. Let me know what yall think and if you wanna know me setup as well that I got going for my build that im still working on.

I always want to see others' builds.

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

It's crazy to think how confident Sony and Microsoft were with the next gen consoles and how they were going toe to toe with top-end PC gaming, yet Nivida have basically made the consoles virtually dated before they've even launched which is crazy! The PS4 and XB1 were old when they launched but that was down to their own choice of tech and how badly positioned the market was at the time but the PS5 and XBSX looked like a gigantic leap into the next gen but the 3,000 series has really brought it back down to earth. The value and potential is also remarkable. 

The 3070 which will be placed as a mid-range 1440p mainstream gaming card, is literally the same as the next gen console GPU architecture which will have to last at least 7 years to run and it wont have the extra technical bells and whistles going forward either. With Sony also bringing a few first party games to PC with a view of more and MIcrosoft already doing this, I can see console sales taking a huge hit right off the bat. AMD don't appear to be the competition here either - Nvidia have gone hard on MS and Sony. AMD will need to do something unreal just to get noticed again. 

1 hour ago, Plumbers Crack said:

That was amazing! Lowest frame rate was ~95 I believe. I'll be honest here and say that I struggled to see any great differences between the two but my eyes aren't the greatest

That's because the human eye can't see more than 30fps and 16gb RAM per second😎

@The3rdWalker   @BO7H B4RRELS  So ill give you guys a small run down on what I have so far.

Case- Lian Li lancool2

Fans- Lian Li unifan 120 setup on preorder

Cpu cooler- Lian Li galahad 240mm rad aio

Mobo- Msi x570 Tomahawk 

Cpu- havent decided yet ether ryzen 7 3700x or ryzen 9 3950x 

Ram- 32gb g.skill trident rgb 3600 mghz

Storage- western digital 1tb nvme ssd pci express. 1tb team group ssd 2.5 

Psu- thinking of going for a seasonic 850 watt to handle the gpu coming out

Gpu- ether a 3070 or 3080 unless amd blows us out of the water.

Using uplink purple power extension cables

Monitor-Msi 27 in curved 1080 free sync monitor 

Keyboard/mouse- going with a steelseries setup for the moment nothing crazy

9 hours ago, FallenDark200 said:

@The3rdWalker   @BO7H B4RRELS  So ill give you guys a small run down on what I have so far.

Case- Lian Li lancool2

Fans- Lian Li unifan 120 setup on preorder

Cpu cooler- Lian Li galahad 240mm rad aio

Mobo- Msi x570 Tomahawk 

Cpu- havent decided yet ether ryzen 7 3700x or ryzen 9 3950x 

Ram- 32gb g.skill trident rgb 3600 mghz

Storage- western digital 1tb nvme ssd pci express. 1tb team group ssd 2.5 

Psu- thinking of going for a seasonic 850 watt to handle the gpu coming out

Gpu- ether a 3070 or 3080 unless amd blows us out of the water.

Using uplink purple power extension cables

Monitor-Msi 27 in curved 1080 free sync monitor 

Keyboard/mouse- going with a steelseries setup for the moment nothing crazy

I feel like 850W should be the minimum.

I can definitely go way bigger since I'm slowly piecing my dream pc together basically so If you think I need more juice ill jump to a 1000 or 1200 watt psu @The3rdWalker and thank you for the feed back man! It's much appreciated 😌 🙏 

With a Ryzen 3950x and RTX3080 system you'll be pushing high 600W's, maybe in to the low 700W's under maximum load.  It's rare to ever load CPU and GPU to 100% simultaneously at the same time though so peak power draw is likely to be lower.  So from that respect, you'd be fine running an 850W PSU though it doesn't leave much headroom for future upgrades and you wouldn't be in the peak efficiency as typically these are around 50-60% load (you can usually find the efficiency graphs from the manufacturer).

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

@Greboth thank you so very much man! This stuff is still all still new to me so I'm learning along the way. Im just excited to get back into the pc world again. Thank you to everyone for your guys feedback!

On 9/10/2020 at 6:17 AM, Greboth said:

With a Ryzen 3950x and RTX3080 system you'll be pushing high 600W's, maybe in to the low 700W's under maximum load.  It's rare to ever load CPU and GPU to 100% simultaneously at the same time though so peak power draw is likely to be lower.  So from that respect, you'd be fine running an 850W PSU though it doesn't leave much headroom for future upgrades and you wouldn't be in the peak efficiency as typically these are around 50-60% load (you can usually find the efficiency graphs from the manufacturer).

Echo what Greboth said, I also believe as long as you stick to 850 you should be fine. The best part about modular PSUs are they are easy to change if you ever need to, but if you find a deal on the 1000w range for a few extra dollars you might as well.

@The3rdWalker  @Grebothwhat do you guys think or heard of the evga p2 1200 watt psu they have good reviews on newegg price range is around what the top dollar corsairs and seasonic 1000 watts are and for an extra 200 watts would it be worth it?

While most of my PC is only a year old, the GPU is two years old, and I have no plans to upgrade for at least another two or three years unless the 1080ti suddenly stops being a beast. I can live without ray tracing.

But if I was building a new machine this card is pretty amazeballs. 

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Agree Phil, there’s quite a leap in performance though the 3000 series doesn’t suddenly make older cards rubbish.  I’d love a 3000 series card but I think realistically I’ll be looking at skipping a generation to a 4000.

I do find it funny all the headlines of how much faster these cards are than 2000 series with seemingly no-one pointing out some of that is down to the 2000 series not being a great step up in rasterisation over 1000 series.  But the 2000 series was a new card design and it seem nvidia have knock the design iteration out the park with these cards.

Now to wait and see what team red bring to the fight.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png