Crusader Kings III

J4MES OX4D

@Docwagon  you might want to take a look at this one if you're still finding fun in Civ 5. @J4MES OX4D  what's the main differences between this and a Civ game?

56 minutes ago, GazzaGarratt said:

@Docwagon  you might want to take a look at this one if you're still finding fun in Civ 5. @J4MES OX4D  what's the main differences between this and a Civ game?

It's more of a strategy/RPG surrounding the creation and expansion of your dynasty with characters. CIV is more of a land-based conquer game. 

1 hour ago, Spacedeck said:

@GazzaGarratt mate, if you're aren't sure on if you'd like the game, I believe I have a spare code for CK2 base game. You could try that out as both games will be fairly the same, and it should help you decide if you want CK3. 

CK2 is now free to play I believe. 

5 hours ago, Docwagon said:

It appears the base game is free now...but you can pay damn near $300 for all the content.

Thankfully I was lucky enough to pick up the entire collection when it was on Humble Bundle for $12 - it really was a once in a lifetime deal. Thankfully CK3 has a a lot of those features already in the game that appeared throughout the CK2 DLC and is much more user friendly. 

I haven't even gotten through the tutorial and I'm pretty sure CK2 is not for me.  It seems like way too many moving parts, a fairly complicated UI, and just more then I'm looking for in a game.  I'm sure it's immersive and fun if you want to put the time in to learn all the bits and bobbles, but I don't think I do at this point.  Honestly, I'm just looking for more casual games at the moment.

8 hours ago, Docwagon said:

I haven't even gotten through the tutorial and I'm pretty sure CK2 is not for me.  It seems like way too many moving parts, a fairly complicated UI, and just more then I'm looking for in a game.  I'm sure it's immersive and fun if you want to put the time in to learn all the bits and bobbles, but I don't think I do at this point.  Honestly, I'm just looking for more casual games at the moment.

Ah thats a shame but at least you tried it, Doc. I actually thought it was pretty casual as i wouldn't be able to play a game that is too intense as i'm usually split across a multitude of games each week. Then again chilling out on PC games lately is 7 Days to Die and Two Point Hospital!

On 11/10/2020 at 3:09 PM, Spacedeck said:

@GazzaGarratt mate, if you're aren't sure on if you'd like the game, I believe I have a spare code for CK2 base game. You could try that out as both games will be fairly the same, and it should help you decide if you want CK3. 

Okay mate, thank you. If you have a code and it isn't going to go anywhere else then i'll happily take it and see where we get to with it all.

9 hours ago, Docwagon said:

CK2's tutorial is probably the worst ever created in a game plus the UI in that one is very unfriendly. CK3 has the same level of depth but a far cleaner interface and is not as overwhelming. Definitely YouTube videos are the best way especially with experienced players.

I watched some Youtube tutorials today since all I had was downtime waiting for a riot that never happened.  I gave it a try again, and here's the issue I'm running up against.  I picked Ireland in the iron age and am some 26 year old petty king.

I tried to imprison a chief for plotting.  I don't know what the plot was or how to find out, but figured plots are rarely good.

I failed and he rebelled.

I raised an army and crushed the ever living shit out of his army.

Now I'm losing the war because he still has all his holdings.  I can't figure out how to attack holdings or where they are or how to siege.  I'm not even sure the proper term so youtubing has been of no help.  My troops just stand in the county and do nothing and he has no troops left, so wtf do I do?

On 11/12/2020 at 4:31 AM, J4MES OX4D said:

CK2's tutorial is probably the worst ever created in a game plus the UI in that one is very unfriendly. CK3 has the same level of depth but a far cleaner interface and is not as overwhelming. Definitely YouTube videos are the best way especially with experienced players.

See above, failed to quote.

6 hours ago, Docwagon said:

I watched some Youtube tutorials today since all I had was downtime waiting for a riot that never happened.  I gave it a try again, and here's the issue I'm running up against.  I picked Ireland in the iron age and am some 26 year old petty king.

I tried to imprison a chief for plotting.  I don't know what the plot was or how to find out, but figured plots are rarely good.

I failed and he rebelled.

I raised an army and crushed the ever living shit out of his army.

Now I'm losing the war because he still has all his holdings.  I can't figure out how to attack holdings or where they are or how to siege.  I'm not even sure the proper term so youtubing has been of no help.  My troops just stand in the county and do nothing and he has no troops left, so wtf do I do?

Sounds like you need to obtain a Casus Belli through the courts to declare war. Rather than be able to attack anyone at will, CK uses certain political processes to carry out such actions. 

There's people who play hundreds of hours of these games and still they are discovering new things or don't entirely know how certain aspects work. Thankfully CK3 has simplified and explained a lot of things but 2 is massively complex. 

3 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

Sounds like you need to obtain a Casus Belli through the courts to declare war. Rather than be able to attack anyone at will, CK uses certain political processes to carry out such actions. 

There's people who play hundreds of hours of these games and still they are discovering new things or don't entirely know how certain aspects work. Thankfully CK3 has simplified and explained a lot of things but 2 is massively complex. 

He rebelled.  We are at war. I attacked his army and beat it, but now there's nothing left to attack as far as an army.  I see a little town but can't get my army to go there, so I don't know how to attack anything else.

3 hours ago, Docwagon said:

He rebelled.  We are at war. I attacked his army and beat it, but now there's nothing left to attack as far as an army.  I see a little town but can't get my army to go there, so I don't know how to attack anything else.

You basically have to press a claim on the land - even though a ruler may be defeated, the land may still belong to a full dynasty of successors who have their own powerful armies. Sadly this isn't like Civ where you defeat an army and then just claim their land - the real strategy surrounds the dynasties, succession laws and scheming to be able to expand borders in different ways other than obliterating a whole family. 

20 hours ago, J4MES OX4D said:

You basically have to press a claim on the land - even though a ruler may be defeated, the land may still belong to a full dynasty of successors who have their own powerful armies. Sadly this isn't like Civ where you defeat an army and then just claim their land - the real strategy surrounds the dynasties, succession laws and scheming to be able to expand borders in different ways other than obliterating a whole family. 

I'm not even trying to take the land.  Just win the war and put down the rebellion.  Right now, despite his having no army, I'm losing the war.  

1 hour ago, Docwagon said:

I'm not even trying to take the land.  Just win the war and put down the rebellion.  Right now, despite his having no army, I'm losing the war.  

Check them realm and see if there is a successor their respective army within those bounds. 

On 11/19/2020 at 2:34 PM, Docwagon said:

Yeah, my first impression was right.  Not the game for me.

At least you gave it a go, Doc. 👍