Simple high fibre and toning health plans

GazzaGarratt

I need to start eating a higher amount of fibre because unfortunately i'm starting to get more and more stomach problems as I get older but I also would like to a very simple food plan to follow for someone who wants to tone/slim down their body somewhat.

I'm thinking something simple and easy to follow is where to start, but its where to find this is the difficulty. So, this is where you guys and girls come in! What tips or simple plans have you come across that would be good to do?

Thanks in advance everyone

Did you ever get this figured out?

Curious on why you think it's a fiber necessity.

Interestingly enough, finding a food lifestyle that works for you tends to help with so many health issues.

For example, when I'm really on my game for food, I especially do not think about fiber. It sort of just happens with what I'm eating.

On 1/13/2021 at 3:17 PM, RenFengge said:

Did you ever get this figured out?

Curious on why you think it's a fiber necessity.

Interestingly enough, finding a food lifestyle that works for you tends to help with so many health issues.

For example, when I'm really on my game for food, I especially do not think about fiber. It sort of just happens with what I'm eating.

No, i didn't get anywhere really in terms of fibre. All i've done in simple terms is try to eat less shit. Basically less chocolate and biscuits. Also, try to not drink too many beers really late, which i've swapped out many nights for a few cups of tea. Oh, and also not to try an eat that shit far too late. I get hungry really late on gaming so that where a cuppa comes into play which stops me eating. I still need to find more stuff. In the mornings i'll try and switch to these shreddies with raisins in them as I know that will have fibre.

I'm also always better when I can get my blowout running around a football pitch for an hour a week. Unfortunately lockdown has scuppered that so i need to force myself out to run at some stage. I'm just struggling in that department due to how busy our life is with the pups, home schooling, work, fg, blah, blah, blah, etc. Consicous i don't wanna say that all the time as it can easily become an excuse not to do the above stuff - but I just need to balance and sometimes not be too harsh on myself. This year has so far been a way better start for me physical health wise. I just need to balance that out and give mroe time for my mental side of things for a few weeks I reckon.

Your Fitness PPR though has me back thinking about HIT programmes so might try and make one for a weekend day perhaps at home.

Less chocolate and biscuits lol... yeah. I do love my chocolate and cookies... and biscuits.

Anyway. For basics, you could just look at switching up what you eat to be mostly veggies and meat. Ideally, the meat portion should not be any bigger than the size of your palm. The rest of the plate should be veggies.

The trick is finding out how to prepare the food, so it doesn't suck and you actually want it. For example, I have serious cravings for sweet potatoes lately. I love them cubed, roasted with oil and seasonings... then topped with a dollop of sour cream (or greek yogurt) with cilantro.

Basically, I think we end up roasting all our vegetables lol. It's easy.. and usually tasty.

You might find that if you have that, you'll be fuller for longer.

For me, if I find that my training ends up making me hungrier, I just finish my meal with half of a really tasty protein shake (do it right, and you can't tell much of the difference between a milkshake and a protein shake).

Hungry means you need to fill up on something else. Not really carbs. Fats and proteins will keep you fuller for longer.

I eat a lot of oats.  Oatmeal with an apple or banana, oats with pumpkin baked into sort of a cookie, savory oatmeal dishes (youtube it).

Also, beans.  High protein/high fiber.  Easy to make in a slow cooker, or I like butterbeans enough that I can eat them straight from the can with some black pepper and hot sauce.

Might not be for everyone but I went Veggie a couple of years and haven’t looked back, having had serious gut problems. Quite daunting at first but It’s not as bad as it seems, there really are great alternatives to meat these days. 

Unfortunately @JamaicanSteve  meat substitutes like Veggie styled burgers, etc i'm actually allergic too (not even joking either!) which is a shame as that would be an easy first step. I've worked out I need my protein, or else I really struggle for energy through the day. @RenFengge , I've branched out a little to have more veg stuff, I just have to be more consistent with it I suppose. Not much looked into shakes as if im totally honest, I always worry about what the hell is in those powder things!

On 1/24/2021 at 1:31 PM, Docwagon said:

I eat a lot of oats.  Oatmeal with an apple or banana, oats with pumpkin baked into sort of a cookie, savory oatmeal dishes (youtube it).

Also, beans.  High protein/high fiber.  Easy to make in a slow cooker, or I like butterbeans enough that I can eat them straight from the can with some black pepper and hot sauce.

Now I could do more Oats for sure. I have a Protein nut bar after I have small lunch atm which helps fill me up (although i'd 4 of them in one sitting if I could!). I need to have sweet Oatmeal dishes though, as i'm crap with spicy type stuff. I don't mind baked beans even though I never ask for them with my dinner. Might need to check out some different variations to see how they can bring out better flavours. Thanks Doc!

@GazzaGarratt- shakes are super tricky. Like, the amount of research I did to find a handful of ones with quality... that was massive. But, I found them. I don't use a lot of shakes, but I have them if I need them. I'm of the mind that real food will always be infinitely better for you than anything processed.

Are you allergic to some veggies? Which ones? I'm allergic/sensitive to basically all raw fruits and veggies lol. Everything has to be cooked for me.

@GazzaGarrattThat is interesting, I myself am not allergic to any vegetables or fruit the transition to vegetarian was based on my lack interest in consuming meat and environmental issues. 

There are still plenty of ways to cook the veggies, I recommend stir fry’s and alike really good for cooking all sorts of veg. 

On 1/27/2021 at 3:31 PM, GazzaGarratt said:

Unfortunately @JamaicanSteve  meat substitutes like Veggie styled burgers, etc i'm actually allergic too (not even joking either!) which is a shame as that would be an easy first step. I've worked out I need my protein, or else I really struggle for energy through the day. @RenFengge , I've branched out a little to have more veg stuff, I just have to be more consistent with it I suppose. Not much looked into shakes as if im totally honest, I always worry about what the hell is in those powder things!

Now I could do more Oats for sure. I have a Protein nut bar after I have small lunch atm which helps fill me up (although i'd 4 of them in one sitting if I could!). I need to have sweet Oatmeal dishes though, as i'm crap with spicy type stuff. I don't mind baked beans even though I never ask for them with my dinner. Might need to check out some different variations to see how they can bring out better flavours. Thanks Doc!

Savory isn't spicy, necessarily.  Anything you could make in a risotto, you can make in oats.  Shrimp, for example.  

Here's a nice sweet one based on carrot cake:

• 0.50 Cup Uncooked (40 Grams), Uncooked Oats
  • 0.50 cup, Milk, nonfat
  • 3 oz., Vanilla Yogurt (no sugar)
  • 1 tbsp(s), Splenda/stevia
  • 3 large, Carrots, baby, raw (shredded)
  • 5.00 raisins, Raisins, seedless
  • Vanilla to taste
  • Cinnamon to taste

250 calories

14g protein

5g fiber

Basically you just mix everything, leave it in the fridge overnight, and it's good to go in the morning.  You can heat it if you like, but it's better cold IMO.