Astro A50s RIP

phil bottle

After 4 good years it looks like my Astros are starting to die. The volume wheel seems to be knackered as it wont adjust the sound above a particular level. They start to rise in volume then go back to silent.

I'll probably open up that cup and see if re-seating the wheel does anything.

Does @Diddumsor anyone else have any tips?

What headsets are folk using these days? I may need to find some if I cant fix what I have.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I’ve got no recommendation of what could be wrong with your current headset.  As for what I’m running, a wired a40 mixamp with a pair of sennheiser pc360’s.

Wireless is neater but I’m glad I’ve got wired if my headset breaks I can use any headset.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

I’ve got no recommendation of what could be wrong with your current headset.  As for what I’m running, a wired a40 mixamp with a pair of sennheiser pc360’s.

Wireless is neater but I’m glad I’ve got wired if my headset breaks I can use any headset.
Weird one, I have been looking at pc 360s but didn't think about mixamp

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Oh no man, I assume you have master reset them already? Could also be the Chat/Game big button a little stuck as it could be all on chat?

Oh no man, I assume you have master reset them already? Could also be the Chat/Game big button a little stuck as it could be all on chat?
They're older gen Astros so it's a slightly different set up and all in one earcup.

I've already ordered an Astro mix amp pro and will probably go with the sennheiser headset. The headset has been around a long time and has open back cups which is better for me anyway as my ears get hot quickly.

I'll still use the Astros and tinker with them to see if I can fix them. Sound is ok for chatting, but just too low for sound whoring [emoji6]

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

16 hours ago, phil bottle said:

They're older gen Astros so it's a slightly different set up and all in one earcup.

I've already ordered an Astro mix amp pro and will probably go with the sennheiser headset. The headset has been around a long time and has open back cups which is better for me anyway as my ears get hot quickly.

I'll still use the Astros and tinker with them to see if I can fix them. Sound is ok for chatting, but just too low for sound whoring emoji6.png

If you’re considering the sennheisers then i’d say just do it.  I may be a little  biased as I own a pair but they’re the best and most comfortable headset/earphones I’ve ever owned.  They’ve got to be about 10 years old and still going strong.

What can the Sennheiser give you that the Astros cant just out of interest? I've actually never heard of them but clearly must be something special looking at them online.

Did you also let the battery run down @phil bottle?

What can the Sennheiser give you that the Astros cant just out of interest? I've actually never heard of them but clearly must be something special looking at them online.

Did you also let the battery run down [mention=141]phil bottle[/mention]?
Part of my consideration is a desire to try out open back ear cups. The Astros are very comfortable but can get a bit too hot for my liking.
But also what Greebs said, these 80 quid headphones and an astro mixamp are a good long term option.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Someone in this thread said they just disassembled it and reseated the wheel which worked, although the problem wasn't exactly the same, but still similar.

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/337085/Volume+Wheel:+Inconsistency+in+Volume+Control

I've no idea what to suggest headphone wise to be honest, ever since I got my Astros I've never even considered anything else, but I do think you'd look well sick with some RGB watercooled ears. Get a rad and a loop on them bad boys.

banlol.png

1 hour ago, Diddums said:

Someone in this thread said they just disassembled it and reseated the wheel which worked, although the problem wasn't exactly the same, but still similar.

https://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/337085/Volume+Wheel:+Inconsistency+in+Volume+Control

I've no idea what to suggest headphone wise to be honest, ever since I got my Astros I've never even considered anything else, but I do think you'd look well sick with some RGB watercooled ears. Get a rad and a loop on them bad boys.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07H1VZ452?tag=thbefe-21

On 4/25/2020 at 11:46 AM, GazzaGarratt said:

Did you also let the battery run down @phil bottle?

Like with many things you can't say the Sennheisers are better because of x, y or z because there's a trade off and personal choice.  Objectively speaking, the Sennheisers are an open back design so they come with the advantages of a more open and natural sound.  As Phil said above too, they also help keep your ears cooler as air can circulate out of the cups.  The open back design comes with a disadvantage though - they don't isolate you as much so outside noise will be heard more with open back vs closed back (like the Astros).  The open / closed also applies to what you're listening to leaking out - open means more sound will leak for others to hear and closed are more isolating.  I can't comment to newer A40's or A50's but way back when I bought mine, the PC360's used to review as one of, if not the, best gaming headsets available both in sound and quality and I can't imagine much has overtaken them unless you're talking silly money.

Subjectively, I only got to try the A40's in a shop for fit and comfort and I much preferred the PC360's though I do accept I have an unusually large head so maybe that was something to do with it.  I didn't get to try the Astro's for sound when I tried them on so I can't spead directly to their sound.  However, even compared to very good closed back headphones I own, I much prefer the open back sound.  The open backs give a feeling of openess (duh!) so they're more like having speakers close to you than having the sound in your head.  I also find the sound quality of the open back much more natural and less bass heavy that a lot of closed back suffer from.  I also find I can listen to music on open back headphones a lot longer than closed - this isn't a physical comfort thing of actually wearing the headphones, it's almost like an ear strain.

I realise I probably sound like such an audiophile dick now though so I'm going to stop talking and go back to my 10 pairs of headphones 😆

I used to be an audiophile dick (before age and Led Zepp caught up with my hearing) and, after a brief flirtation with Koss open backs, I stuck with Sennheisers..still got a pair of HD 480Classics kicking around.  Love 'em 

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

On 4/27/2020 at 5:13 PM, phil bottle said:

My P360s arrive on Thursday, plus an Astro Mixamp Pro TR (that's a mouthful). Quite excited to have new gear to play with.

How you getting on with them Philly?

How you getting on with them Philly?
I'm very happy. Compared to the A50s the sound is more clear and crisp though the bass is nowhere near as deep. It's a different feeling from the A50s and they feel less enclosed and they are a lot lighter on my bonce. The Astro mixamp is perfect.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

6 hours ago, phil bottle said:

I'm very happy. Compared to the A50s the sound is more clear and crisp though the bass is nowhere near as deep. It's a different feeling from the A50s and they feel less enclosed and they are a lot lighter on my bonce. The Astro mixamp is perfect.

Ah, I'm all about the treble me so sounds ace. I'll keep them in my mind if my Astros ever pack in. Can the mixamp work with any headset then? Never had one before so wouldn't know what benefit it would give me.

Ah, I'm all about the treble me so sounds ace. I'll keep them in my mind if my Astros ever pack in. Can the mixamp work with any headset then? Never had one before so wouldn't know what benefit it would give me.
Yep, works with third party headsets!

jeffersonclasswar.jpg