Jump to content
×
×
  • Create New...

How are we keeping 'fit and healthy' in isolation?


Recommended Posts

Went for a 2 hour walk yesterday. Felt really good afterwards. Also, whilst it was only a couple of DIY OCD cleaning type jobs on a few drawers, I got them done off my list to do and it felt good. Mentally, its a damn good feeling writing a quick list down and getting a few things done on the same day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have my super fit son living at home now and he's doing 'Dad work out' programmes for me in the garden while he does his more strenuous stuff. Doing it every other day atm

Rather than increasing reps try different width of arm spacing or raise you feet to increase intensity. I use my couch and have my index fingers and thumbs touching to form a diamond to start them pl

@GazzaGarratt I normally do my press-ups in 3 sets between getting up and going to work during the week and I don't prefer any part of the day above another tbh. I did find the 100 press-ups a day for

Posted Images

Thought I'd resurrect this as I didnt really post initially, but also thought we could use it to spur us all on a little.

 

I'm currently trying to keep cardio going above everything else. I'm a massive believer in making sure to exercise the heart above all else.

 

I'm making sure that I'm hitting my 10k steps per day which amounts to around 7.5km with my lanky legs! We've also invested in an exercise bike where I'm hitting anywhere between 10-20km per day as well. All of this is definitely making me feel less lethargic and just generally helping my mental well being.

 

Also trying to fit in some strength training when I can using weights alongside more traditional exercises. Etta has started to want to join in as well which is great on one hand. However the downside of this is that she wants to jump on my back whilst doing the exercises!! Which obviously makes press ups and squats a lot more interesting!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've charged my stepwatch so I want to follow your footsteps..although isolation is harder than it looks for self motivation on fitness.

 

I've always felt an exercise bike would suit my lifestyle as I dont get out much but Hayley wants to stick to ideas of real bikes. I'd rather do that in an ideal world but I was always think practicality means would I actually get out much, especially now with the dogs. Fingers crossed walking them will give some extra steps in for us all.

 

Is Debs doing the bike too and if so, is she feeling better in herself especially during isolation?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I've charged my stepwatch so I want to follow your footsteps..although isolation is harder than it looks for self motivation on fitness.

 

I've always felt an exercise bike would suit my lifestyle as I dont get out much but Hayley wants to stick to ideas of real bikes. I'd rather do that in an ideal world but I was always think practicality means would I actually get out much, especially now with the dogs. Fingers crossed walking them will give some extra steps in for us all.

 

Is Debs doing the bike too and if so, is she feeling better in herself especially during isolation?

 

Yeah, we're both using the bike. Just having a good 30 min blast on it whilst watching tv or something like that so it doesn't interfere too much with the other bits. Shes much the same as me as well. Any kind of exercise just makes you feel better about yourself which makes you want to do more.

 

Certainly a worthwhile investment as we have no idea how long life is going to stay like this for

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

My running has dried up a little, I still go out for at least 1 run a week but I need to push myself out of the door when I wake up around 7 or 8, otherwise I may not go out at all.  I'm still doing my daily push-ups, some days I don't do them in the morning due to forgetting or being lazy but I pretty much consistently get them done on a night. I've worked my way up to doing 40 a day so far, 20 in the morning and 20 at night.  I'm increasing this by 5 whenever I feel ready.  It's a big difference from when I started and would struggle to do 10 in one sitting.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Spacedeck said:

My running has dried up a little, I still go out for at least 1 run a week but I need to push myself out of the door when I wake up around 7 or 8, otherwise I may not go out at all.  I'm still doing my daily push-ups, some days I don't do them in the morning due to forgetting or being lazy but I pretty much consistently get them done on a night. I've worked my way up to doing 40 a day so far, 20 in the morning and 20 at night.  I'm increasing this by 5 whenever I feel ready.  It's a big difference from when I started and would struggle to do 10 in one sitting.

 

That's a great start mate with the push ups. I always think it's best to set the target low and increase slowly rather than just doing as many as you can. Making you complete a session is way more beneficial than not - it's exactly how I used to do it. You're giving the nudge start again 👍

 

Outside of that, I've put my stopwatch back on this past week and forcing myself to walk up and down our cul-de-sac. It's not much but it 1-2k steps to my total. And I hate being tall - how in the world I can get to 10k steps everyday I'll never know!

Link to post
Share on other sites
My running has dried up a little, I still go out for at least 1 run a week but I need to push myself out of the door when I wake up around 7 or 8, otherwise I may not go out at all.  I'm still doing my daily push-ups, some days I don't do them in the morning due to forgetting or being lazy but I pretty much consistently get them done on a night. I've worked my way up to doing 40 a day so far, 20 in the morning and 20 at night.  I'm increasing this by 5 whenever I feel ready.  It's a big difference from when I started and would struggle to do 10 in one sitting.
Rather than increasing reps try different width of arm spacing or raise you feet to increase intensity. I use my couch and have my index fingers and thumbs touching to form a diamond to start them place hands as wide as possible for the next set.

Via the FG App

Link to post
Share on other sites

Decided to start dieting about 7 weeks ago now, was going to wait until gyms opened but thought hey, may aswell use this time wisely...

 

Lost around 11lbs so far 😄 Everyone saying they're finding it hard because so much spare time, boredom eating etc but I'm finding it easier; no social events, no restaurants, less takeaways etc...

 

Just making sure I hit 6-8k steps a day and doing a full body workout with bands every other day.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Dan94 said:

Decided to start dieting about 7 weeks ago now, was going to wait until gyms opened but thought hey, may aswell use this time wisely...

 

Lost around 11lbs so far 😄 Everyone saying they're finding it hard because so much spare time, boredom eating etc but I'm finding it easier; no social events, no restaurants, less takeaways etc...

 

Just making sure I hit 6-8k steps a day and doing a full body workout with bands every other day.

 

Nice work Dan, I've dropped 5kg myself during lockdown also!

signatures small.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Nice work Dan, I've dropped 5kg myself during lockdown also!

Nice work!

 

I really let myself go recently so had to dial it back. I usually sit around 190lbs as my bodies happy weight, I got down to 175lb for Ibiza, Magaluf & Turkey last 3 years, but this year since Christmas and start of the year I've ballooned up to 220lbs [emoji50] So really need to get to sub 200lbs then go from there. On a side note to weight training and losing weight, I really want to resume the 'Couch to 5k' once I've lost more weight and improve my cardio.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/29/2020 at 11:10 AM, Nutcuttlit said:

Rather than increasing reps try different width of arm spacing or raise you feet to increase intensity. I use my couch and have my index fingers and thumbs touching to form a diamond to start them place hands as wide as possible for the next set.

Via the FG App
 

 

I'll try raising the feet but that doesn't sound like it makes it harder, wouldn't that require less force to fully push up?  I also did try the diamond but either I can't seem to get my hand placement right, or my wrists are really weak.  What can I do to make them stronger?

 

I haven't managed to do any of these pushups since the weekend.  After carrying my daughter around on my shoulders for around 2.5 miles on Sunday, I woke up with huge pain in my neck / shoulder on Monday, so had to take it easy as any movement intensified it.  First time I've done this for some time but she's not getting any easier to carry 😂.

 

It's eased of now, so one more sleep should completely sort it.  I'm hoping to resume these tomorrow and see where it's left me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
 
I'll try raising the feet but that doesn't sound like it makes it harder, wouldn't that require less force to fully push up?  I also did try the diamond but either I can't seem to get my hand placement right, or my wrists are really weak.  What can I do to make them stronger?
 
I haven't managed to do any of these pushups since the weekend.  After carrying my daughter around on my shoulders for around 2.5 miles on Sunday, I woke up with huge pain in my neck / shoulder on Monday, so had to take it easy as any movement intensified it.  First time I've done this for some time but she's not getting any easier to carry [emoji23].
 
It's eased of now, so one more sleep should completely sort it.  I'm hoping to resume these tomorrow and see where it's left me.
Raising legs is mainly to isolate a certain portion of the chest but raising will add slightly more pressure because most of your body weight will be forward. I'm gonna be setting myself a challenge. Using only 25kg dumbells for every muscle group and if I need to increase tension at top throw some resistance bands in there. Will keep you posted on results in the coming weeks.

Via the FG App

Link to post
Share on other sites
Raising legs is mainly to isolate a certain portion of the chest but raising will add slightly more pressure because most of your body weight will be forward. I'm gonna be setting myself a challenge. Using only 25kg dumbells for every muscle group and if I need to increase tension at top throw some resistance bands in there. Will keep you posted on results in the coming weeks.

Via the FG App

Every muscle group? I know fuck all about biology, like the song, but I hope there's no muscle group in your cock, cos that's a lot of extra weight on top of those big balls[emoji50]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
Every muscle group? I know fuck all about biology, like the song, but I hope there's no muscle group in your cock, cos that's a lot of extra weight on top of those big balls[emoji50]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Does your mum weigh 25kg [emoji8][emoji8]

Via the FG App

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/11/2020 at 10:24 AM, phil bottle said:

Ah, the reply was worth the wait emoji1787.png

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
 

I thank you 😘😊

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...
On 6/3/2020 at 4:57 PM, Dan94 said:

Nice work!

 

I really let myself go recently so had to dial it back. I usually sit around 190lbs as my bodies happy weight, I got down to 175lb for Ibiza, Magaluf & Turkey last 3 years, but this year since Christmas and start of the year I've ballooned up to 220lbs [emoji50] So really need to get to sub 200lbs then go from there. On a side note to weight training and losing weight, I really want to resume the 'Couch to 5k' once I've lost more weight and improve my cardio.

 

 

Still losing weight since this post, currently sitting at 204lbs now 🙂

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought I would pop in...

 

Back at the working out and trying to not stuff my face with delicious breads every day. Sore from Friday's HIIT, so I'm continuing my "rest" while Pew-pewing. 😄 Just in time for tomorrow's HIIT...

 

If I'm going to have to be upset about waking up early to start commuting back into the office by the end of the month, then I might as well start getting used to it by going to the gym...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/4/2020 at 3:40 PM, Dan94 said:

Still losing weight since this post, currently sitting at 204lbs now 🙂

 

Nice work fella! You're smashing it lately dude 😎

 

14 hours ago, RenFengge said:

Thought I would pop in...

 

Back at the working out and trying to not stuff my face with delicious breads every day. Sore from Friday's HIIT, so I'm continuing my "rest" while Pew-pewing. 😄 Just in time for tomorrow's HIIT...

 

If I'm going to have to be upset about waking up early to start commuting back into the office by the end of the month, then I might as well start getting used to it by going to the gym...

 

I think i'm missing my usual walks around the office a lot through the day so gonna try and start getting my diary into a space i can take the dogs for a walk to get at least some steps in. If I can remain at home for the foreseeable then i could also get some fitness in the morning at home and not feel rushed. Do you think you'll be back in the office fulltime La, or is your country seeing this as a different way to work now moving forward?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Those walks around the office... man.... those were a majority of my steps every day. Now, I'm lucky if I break 5k steps a day lol.

 

As for going back in full-time... I wish I could say I was optimistic and say it won't happen, but I'm not. Remote working won't be mainstream until those who run the companies stop valuing physical face time and seat time. Just because they can't handle messaging apps like Slack or Teams, they can't understand how collaboration works without people in an office.

 

I will tell you that the leadership in my company went from thinking during COVID "hey, remote work is great... we can hire people not in our immediate area" to "employee X moved to a random state? I guess they aren't our employee anymore".

 

How about it in your area?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah @RenFengge , i'm now forcing myself to find time to get the dogs for a walk to keep them happy but also get me some very needed steps an activity - unfortunately i've noticed a slight down turn in my health somewhat (mainly stomach/digestion problems) so I think getting back outside should help getting the blood moving and also slightly tuning my food intake. Wife thinks I should take an intolerance test but I hope a little kick up the arse for myself should see a natural change in my health.

 

On 9/10/2020 at 8:57 PM, RenFengge said:

How about it in your area?

 

UK culture was starting to change but I think many companies have trust issues with WFH in the main. Its helped here in a way because companies have realised people in the UK really do want to still work and can make get the same or better output in their home environment. Main issues for me are twofold 1) has this been enough for them to see it can work and 2) mental wellbeing has took a huge knock because of everything so that could actually mean we still have some form of office based working e.g. 2-3 days in the office. Thats just my opinion on what I see though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy