CPU only - But can it run Crysis?

Greboth

Yes, yes it can!

I watched LTT’s video review on AMD’s Threadripper 3990x - a very modest 64 core 128 thread CPU 😂.  The thing that got me about it though is they got it playing Crysis solely on the CPU!

It is crazy how far AMD have come recently and how hard they’re spanking Intel.

Skip to 10 mins in if you don’t want to watch the rest.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

Yeah, competition in the cpu market is needed.  Too long the CPU market stagnated due to Intel’s iterative upgrades due to no competition.  Arguably they’re paying for it now though as AMD are smashing them and some of the rumours about 10th series sound bad.

Though I hope few more years of AMD domination so the company is financially sound and they regain a decent market share.

AMD are tearing Intel to pieces at the moment, it's absolutely fucking hilarious to watch. Intel has been resting on their laurels for years, whilst AMD has been fighting death. They haven't pushed the envelope at all, merely pocketing all that sweet sweet investor wedge and letting their tech stagnate. 

Turns out that AMD were working quite hard behind the scenes, and not only have their brought the fight to Intel, but they've quite positively wiped the floor with Intel. Make no mistake, they're going to need to work pretty fucking hard to stay ahead as Intel have no doubt just lumped a few hundred million at least in to their R&D department and when that line of chips comes out, AMD will need to be on point.

I really hope that AMD also pour tons of money in to GPU development, they've been the budget and mid-range king for a few years now, but we need to see the glory days of the 6970/7970 return. 

This video is pretty damn good to highlight quite what a remarkable performance AMD has achieved in the CPU world:

banlol.png

4 hours ago, Diddums said:

I really hope that AMD also pour tons of money in to GPU development, they've been the budget and mid-range king for a few years now, but we need to see the glory days of the 6970/7970 return.

It would be good for the GPU market to knock nVidia down a peg or two as their pricing for the higher end cards is just ridiculous.  Though I'm not so sure AMD will go chasing those halo products in the GPU market for now.  Sure, having a halo product gets their name out there more but it's the CPU market where the money is - more specifically HEDT and server CPU's.  As that is the market they need to push and focus on, I don't see them really focusing on consumer GPU's for a few years.