Modern Warfare First Impressions

J4MES OX4D

1 hour ago, techno said:

It does say alot about the state of a game that people are hoping for old maps to be added, usually it's something we want in addition to new maps. 

Seems like one more nail in an ever expanding coffin for infinity ward, the fact that people agree they are incapable of designing quality maps. 

I remember when COD used to have great maps and then classic maps would be added as a bonus along with more new maps that were also quality. Now the maps seem to be so bad, people are begging for recycled content and now IW have done the unthinkable by literally fucking up iconic maps! After what they did to Crash, it kinda proves they just don't have a clue. I have yet to play on Shipment but that looks like a disaster remake. 

I like how they moved away from strict 3 lane by design maps in Modern Warfare but what they produced isn't what I was expecting. They've basically started off where they finished with Ghosts. Treyarch will be hitting us with Black Ops 5 soon where every map will play the same and then they'll go and bring back all their classics once again like Firing Range, Nuketown and Summit. 

For all the bad things in COD this gen from the microtransactions, supply drops and advanced movement; maps has been a relentless problem across all the developers and I can't remember the last time (since BO2) where we had a truly iconic original map. 

It's just a huge design flaw in general with the maps on MW. They tried to be different and it failed on many levels.

Even trimming chunks of some maps out, sure yes possibly. It still remains a constant skullfuckery how someone can slide through your Betty and it kill you even with EOD (Flak Jacket) on.

It's the doors/windows/lines of sight etc. It will never be exactly how people want it. The old trusty tried and tested maps. People enjoy them more, they flow and play better.

Have seen a dreadful slow game of HQ 6v6 on Grazna raid, was personally one of the worst games I've ever been apart of! Just couldn't find anyone at all.

While the maps do have there problems this game I think some of it is rose tinted glasses.  COD 4 considered one of if not the best COD, played good but the community has changed and s even the remastered is so campy and show.  Not to mention there were some not so great maps in COD 4 too.  It was just you rarely got people camping though when you did get were a pain to kill.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

I can put up with all the crap maps and stuff, but the fundamental things in the game that are still broken for me are the camera angles, which they refuse to address.

There is no gun fight skills anymore..its all down to who has seen the other person first, who can get an advantage and see the other person when they cant see them back etc.

I downloaded iw4x..its great fun

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Ri855cK.gif

Chookes said:

I absoloutely prefer it this way. You have overall more control. You can finish one guy off first, or all ten

MW2 will always be special to most people. But back then and on other titles, the maps just fucking slapped.

COD4 was just a "Wave" of potential and great in it's time. It played good, some maps and things about the game were basic nowadays looking back. But had a nice feel and playability, was Fresh and new at it's time.

All the older cod's had a couple dodgy maps, but look at the rotation of 6-8 good maps and a few bad ones.

The MW base 6v6 maps are very low like 6 in total, and most of them ain't kosher. 

The black Ops series also had some bangers. WaW had some beautiful maps and some absolute classics. "Castle", "Cliffside" but omg upheaval was just the perfect map. It had it all imo. 

There was just way more maps, some of the old DLC were decent too. 

I agree with Diamond with the dodgy camera angles and that. Sometimes on the kill cam I'm like "what a great view that guy had on me" 

I know sometimes there will be a clear winner in a battle or advantage due to vertical positioning etc. 

You just know at times you were screwed over, you can feel it!

On 1/22/2020 at 10:23 AM, Dr Diamond said:

Shipment 24/7 was the only thing keeping my interest in the game unfortunately.

I'm even contemplating getting IWx4

Why, out of interest? Just trying to understand what was special about that map and mode.

23 hours ago, Dr Diamond said:

There is no gun fight skills anymore..its all down to who has seen the other person first, who can get an advantage and see the other person when they cant see them back etc.

That sounds like when you play most PvP games although I've seen a shit ton first but it's not gone my way (I know, get better right?). I dunno man, just don't have many issues apart from Piccadilly.

18 hours ago, IRaMPaGe said:

All the older cod's had a couple dodgy maps, but look at the rotation of 6-8 good maps and a few bad ones.

I still think theres at least the equivalent amount of maps on this game that play well, providing it's the right gamemode to match the map ofc.

Shipment I actually have a chance to have some fun. Its stupid but i dont mind playing some ridiculous matches like that for a while.

My experience otherwise has just been frustrating. Every match is one or two kills. Death. Rinse and repeat. That's for a decent match. Otherwise I find I'm getting stuck in stupid 5 death streaks which have nothing to do with my skill. Spawn in, dude is already preaiming my spawn, preaiming the first corner I come to, spawns me with my back facing another player etc.

I cant advance around a map because theres just too many lines of sight. But it's not tactical enough to be able to play like a BF map or something similar, to choose an alternate route etc.

I try and advance to where the other team is and there is always a camper in a dark corner. It just pays far too much to sit and not move.

But yeah the camera angles things just infuriates me to the point of uninstallation. Its okay doing badly because the other team is just straight up better, but its not cool when you move around a corner and start shooting, get 2 hit markers, die and then the killcam shows you coming out of cover waaaayyy before you start shooting.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Ri855cK.gif

Chookes said:

I absoloutely prefer it this way. You have overall more control. You can finish one guy off first, or all ten

Honestly all CoD games had two or three really good maps. A couple of decent maps and the others were complete shit. Seems the same every year with the exception of Blops 2. Most of those maps were excellent. If they would of left out a couple of windows or doors in this one a lot of the maps wouldn’t be that bad. You just have way too many angles to watch. 

MW2 had some of the best and worst maps in the series to me. The original MW at the time I thought were great but after remastered came out I realized they weren’t too good. MW3 to me had some of the best maps. Then both Blops 1 and 2 are the gold standard to me in map design. I actually think I like this years maps better than Blops 3/4. 

3 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I still think theres at least the equivalent amount of maps on this game that play well, providing it's the right gamemode to match the map ofc.

Yes and no, I agree with some maps are more suited to different game modes. I believe this and always have.

On BO2 I went through a phase of really enjoying CTF. Maps like Express and Downturn. Definitely 2 of the maps people didn't care for the most. I personally liked them for most game modes. But for CTF, those 2 maps were great imo. Good routes and lanes to carry or chase.

Now I know there is GW and 10v10 only maps on MW.

But what I mean, on launch MW has the least amount of 6v6 maps total in any cod in history in the past 10-12 years.

The catalogue of maps are limited, the ones they added. Shoothouse, and 3 old recycled maps from COD4.

On older cod's you could be due a 2nd set of DLC maps by now. 2-3 new and an old one or 2 for each DLC. Which could be 3-5 new maps and 2-4 old remakes by this time.

All I'm saying is there is literally very little maps. And most people hate Picadilly/Azhir cave etc.

So your left with hackney/rammaza/gun runner and another 1 I think. It's not a lot 3 months in. 🤭

7 hours ago, TigerBurge said:

Honestly all CoD games had two or three really good maps. A couple of decent maps and the others were complete shit. Seems the same every year with the exception of Blops 2. Most of those maps were excellent. If they would of left out a couple of windows or doors in this one a lot of the maps wouldn’t be that bad. You just have way too many angles to watch. 

MW2 had some of the best and worst maps in the series to me. The original MW at the time I thought were great but after remastered came out I realized they weren’t too good. MW3 to me had some of the best maps. Then both Blops 1 and 2 are the gold standard to me in map design. I actually think I like this years maps better than Blops 3/4. 

I agree right up to the last sentance, I can't vouch for bo4 but bo3 had some good maps. 

I also know it's an individual opinion

I'd be lying if I said I'm not thoroughly enjoying the game. The consistency is still a major problem, sometimes I absolutely destroy people and sometimes I don't have a chance in a fight. This isn't down to skill but down to connection, and no amount of "it's dedicated servers lol" will change my mind. When I'm on a rampage it's very obvious that something in the netcode is working in my favour, whereas if the shoe is on the other foot, it's also painfully obvious in that I get killed in one shot before I can even raise my gun. 

I also find that some of the maps are extremely dependent on their knowledge to do well. The better I'm getting to know the maps the better I'm playing, and also the more I'm learning how to fuck up campers. Yes campers are a pain the arse but at the end of the day this is CoD and the community in this game is very well known to be the biggest load of wank in the gaming world, but a little element of surprise and a shotgun to the face usually takes care of them. 

The maps are all much of a muchness really, some are good, some are shit, some are Shipment. The worst map for me by a country mile is that fucking cave map. The campers are always in the building overlooking C, overlooking A, and occasionally the rug store. You can set your watch to this. Still, grabbing a sniper and zapping that cunt in the building at C over and over again is infinitely satisfying. 

Another one is the room overlooking B on Crash. I often set up shop in there with claymores and everything to counter the campers and on some occasions I've even had fan mail from campers moaning that I'm camping too much. Two claymores, a shotgun and an ammo box is immense fun.

Then there's that other map, can't think of the name right now, C is on some train tracks, there's always that prick on the ledge overlooking A, and often the one sitting on the pipes at top of the building at the back of the map. I've managed to get a care package off that one fella alone, as I killed him, he came back and I was prone on the roof so I killed him again and left a pair of claymores up there for him, and he got zapped by both of them. Ha fucking ha, cunt.

It's fun. I can't wait for @techno to get it. 

banlol.png

7 hours ago, Dan94 said:

Finally hit a 100+ game in Shipment last night 😎

Nice! Origin 12 Shotgun is my go to with that map. Never stop spamming R2!