Death Stranding

J4MES OX4D

I still can't work this game out but it's made by Kojima and has a belting cast plus the environment looks sublime. Seems to be a Deliveroo simulator with lots of walking or something ridiculous but it actually may work and be a very unique game at that. Release isn't too far away either

On 10/14/2019 at 12:43 AM, J4MES OX4D said:

Finally a video that explains properly how this game works

That's a really good video to help understand what the fuck that this game is.

It seems huge and unique. I just...don't know how to feel about it? Weird AF but could be the best game we've ever seen because of its uniqueness.

Game now coming to PC in early summer 2020. For some reason, a few PS4 gamers are so engraged, they've decided to cancel their pre-order because it's not an exclusive. Great logic - people now not playing the game because others can in the future...!? 

I'm getting it on release and if it's good, I'll get it on PC too. 

Also the review embargo lifts on November 1st which is 7 days before release - this is a good sign unlike all those AAA games which are NDA'd right until launch and sometimes beyond just so pre-orders and purchases don't get thwarted by things like the game being utter shite! 

Still no idea what to make of this game, though the overall theme is a little clearer.

For me, so far, all I've seen is style over substance. It's like watching Netflix demo a new series. That doesn't make me want to buy it. I want to see what the actual game play is like.

Also, why is everyone crying?

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

It's the most random game I've ever seen. If the controls are good and theres enough stuff to find then maybe it's worth it. I like the idea of working with others online to change the world that you are in. In reality though I'm not sure how that works if someone picks it up a few months later than others. What does their world look like? Is it multiple worlds on different servers?

It's based on Horizon Zero Dawn mechanics so that's clearly a great positive to have in the bank.

21 minutes ago, Diddums said:

So it's a load of wank. Iiterally a walking simulatorm trying to be edgy and amazeballs by being pretty with weird and stupid shit thrown in. 

This should've been a movie, not a game.

I mean, I don't think it's as bad as that from what I've seen. I think it's just.....different.

It's like being tactical ahead of a round of Rainbow Six Siege where you have to be the last to survive the round, get to the other side using gadgets and not engage in any fighting. Simplest yeah?

I'm not disagreeing. But I am disagreeing. That's how this game makes sense. By making no sense.

There are mixed reviews but I understand there's much more to it the more you go into it.

Can't really justify getting it right now, but i'll likely pick it up in a sale after it lands on PC.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

18 minutes ago, phil bottle said:

There are mixed reviews but I understand there's much more to it the more you go into it.

Can't really justify getting it right now, but i'll likely pick it up in a sale after it lands on PC.

It's definitely a marmite game and not for everybody. Some of the negative reviews were pretty unfair and a couple had practically written it off before even playing it. My two concerns are getting burned out long before the end and some janky walking animations at times which could ruin the immersion. I also hate the Monster Energy product placement. Dunno whether to pick this up now, try and nab it for £15 in January or just wait for the PC version.  I'll either get this or Disco Elysium - both games are pretty unique and it'll be nice to try one before Christmas. 

Ahh booooo i was really looking forward to getting this, gutted to hear the reviews aren't great.
Like James says, it appears to be a bit marmite. That doesn't make it a bad game.

I've been checking out people playing it live and I've got a better perspective.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

1 hour ago, phil bottle said:

Like James says, it appears to be a bit marmite. That doesn't make it a bad game.

I've been checking out people playing it live and I've got a better perspective.

That’s the thing, I don’t want to watch anyone play it. I just need to take a chance and get it, I think I’ll enjoy it but it’s all down to the story.

This might be a second hand buy again.

I'll probably buy a physical copy next week and if I get sick of it or it's just not my cuppa tea, I'll trade it in and probably get £40-odd back. In the past I've bought new releases cheap off of eBay and traded them in for even more money, so I probably wont mind taking a punt with this one. 

He's great, love his vids. 

I've done a fucktonne of research on this game. At first I thought everyone was joking about the whole walking simulator thing, suffice to say I was more than miffed when I found out it's just that: a walking simulator. I love weird shit in games, but this game just combines too much weird shit. The babies in the bottle thingies, the weird ghost things, the underworld thing, the timefall, these on their own in various games would be great elements, but combined in this game they just don't gel well, and in fact are so disjointed that it feels forced. It's like Kojima just kept having all these ideas over the years and wrote them down, the instead of creating a good game around each concept, he just shoved them all in one game and it just falls flat, all of it. It's a shame because these elements have some serious potential. Just think of the whole Timefall thing in a game like Horizon Zero Dawn. That mechanic would've fitted that whole universe like a glove, but here it's just.... shit.

At every point in my research I've been waiting for that POW! moment. That moment when the game just explodes in to this awesome twisted story full of amazing creatures, fights, adventures, and yet it never comes. It's just walking over and over. I also heard one reviewer saying that they were delivering pizzas, I legit thought they were taking the piss until I saw a clip of the game where Sam was literally delivering pizzas. 

Again, another aspect which is great is the whole multiplayer thing where you never actually see other players but their actions influence your world. This is such a good concept and in a different universe could elevate a game to legendary status but here it just feels like a shit, forced mechanic for the sake of it. 

It's like Kojima designed this beautiful world and then didn't know what to do with it, so grabbed his notebook full of ideas, and shoved them all in that world, all at once, and then designed the quickest game he could around it, just to showcase what he's done, rather than really exploit it properly.

And if we're being totally honest here, let's cut to the chase: This game is being held up by the Kojima name. Imagine if Bethesda released this, it'd be in the bargain bin on release day. The sales of this game are literally being fed by hype and reputation. It's a house of cards, the reputation will only hold it up for so long, eventually the fanboys will move on to the next big thing and this title will crash like a house of cards. 

10/10, awesome game. 

banlol.png

Pretty much my feelings Dave. I love Kojima's previous work - his vision, imagination and writing is quite astonishing but in this one, it feels like he's tried too hard in many aspects and has fallen short in all of them. I've never been on the fence so much with a game but it really has hit me that being on it this much is a bad sign not to get the game after all. 

I think the game is just too long for me regardless - 60 hours at 2 hours a day for a whole month basically. I usually get burned out in half the time and bear in mind, Death Stranding isn't exactly a hugely varied experience. Transversing the environment is the heart of the experience yet the movement mechanics and physics are very wonky and inconsistent it seems - I have seen someone somersault down a cliff and land on their back alive with no damage to the cargo yet others have tripped on a blade of grass on a flat surface and had to restart the mission because they died.  The combat and bosses look really half-arsed filler plus the repetitive cutscenes must really irritate even if they can be skipped. The fact Monster Engergy is also a prominent feature of the game rather than just a one-off promotional placement makes it look extremely tacky and borderline laughable. 

Kojima also started lashing out at reviewers saying people don't understand his game and American's only get FPS shooters. I thought this was a pretty dreadful comment as his previous work was extremely successful in the states and surely he must have known that even with his reputation, not everyone was going to warm to Death Stranding as a concept. Despite 3 years of mystery, the game isn't all that complex to understand after all and you have to wonder if a lot of it was kept under wraps to mask what the game was in the first place. This game is nowhere as good as he thinks it is and it comes across as quite pretentious. 

Looks like Konami were right to pull the plug on him all along. Who would have thought! Kojima should probably consider movies because I think he's missed the mark here trying to create a game - it's like he's made an experience for himself whilst forgetting what others would truly enjoy. Anyhow, I bought Disco Elysium the other day and it's one of the best RPG's I have ever played and probably the greatest true RPG out there.  This 'strand' genre is just a load of bollocks.

What I don't get is making a walking simulator such a grindy thing with the amount of missions and apparently there is no step change near the end which in these days most people are hoping for at the endgame stage.

Death Stranding has now made its way onto PC. Does look amazing and very smooth but my thoughts about the product as a whole hasn't really changed. Kojima can declare it a masterpiece all he wants, but if you take away the visuals and cinematics, there's really doesn't seem to be much here and what is there is laughably flawed in places. I am tempted to try it one day but not at £54.99. Will definitely go down as the most Marmite game of all time.