F1 2019

So I haven’t read anything really about this game and I don’t think we have a thread on it already.  However as I got given it (on PC) for my birthday I thought I’d check it out.

I feel I need to prefix this with I haven’t played an F1 game since first or second codemasters ones (2010,2011?) So I can’t do any comparisons to what is better or worse than last year or really what content has been added.

First impressions are good though.  It took some setting up on my wheel to get the wheel rotation to match and ffb and vibration to where it felt comfortable.  Which does lead me to my first complaint - there aren’t many ffb and vibration options.  You get vibrations when travelling at high speeds which is accurate I guess but the wheel clicking and banging is annoying.  But the only way I could find to tone this down was tone down all vibrations so now I don’t much vibration even running over kerbs.  Sometimes these things can be sorted out by manually editing the ffb files though so I might be able to work around this but more time and investigation is required.  Outside that though the ffb feels nice and the option to boost the feel of understeer is a useful option to know when you’re pushing too much.

On to races, I only did two 5 lap races so not much but first impressions are good.  The game looks really good and even on mostly high settings I was easily maintaining 60fps.  The ai are damn quick, I had the slider set to 80 (out of 100) and could barely keep up.  I’m sure I’ll get quicker with more practice and as I get more comfortable with the game but I honestly don’t ever see me having the ai at 100/100.  The ai drive as you would expect racing drivers to, they will block and defend corners if you’re close to them.  They’ll try to take the inside to overtake but will also try the outside if you defend.

Tyre wear is in the game as far as I know but I didn’t do long enough races to test this so will have to update once I have.

I have to say though it is hard work racing the cars.  Managing fuel levels, fuel usage, ers usage etc. while trying to drive takes so much effort.  I regularly ended up sticking it in the wall trying to change a setting.  I’m sure it will get easier though with more time.

I think I will try a few more quick races but then will hoping in to the full career mode as that looks to be fun.

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

I've seen a video on it and it does look really good. I hear you need to be much more gentle on brakes etc compared to Gran Turismo.

Fucking hell I really would love a wheel, so jealous [emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

I assume the video you saw was Super GT’s?  You do and you don’t have to be, coming in to heavy braking zones with all the downforce, you can stamp on the brakes no problem.  It is as the downforce comes off and you turn in that you really need to be careful with the brakes.

While just trying to learn Albert Park, I left TC and ABS on.  Though I want to do a proper season so I’m going to try with no aids at all.

A wheel you say, do it 😉 you know you want to, give in to your temptation 😉 

I will get a wheel at some point but I'll have to work on Mina very subtly, which I'm not great at 😅

Forgot to ask @J4MES OX4D if he's getting it? I have memories of an impressive F1 YouTube vid you did a while back. Or is that the lsd playing tricks with my memory, again.

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

It really does add to the game and a wheel is far better than a controller but they aren't cheap and they do take up quite a bit of space especially compared to a normal controller.

So a little more practice tonight, decided to go full on practice no driving aids whatsoever.  I managed to get my Melbourne time down to a 1:28. something.  I looked at the real qualifying times - 1:20! Hmmmmm I might have someway to go yet.  I was looking at the career too, launching a pro career turns the ai up to 110!!!! I can't even keep up at 80 😢

12 hours ago, phil bottle said:

Forgot to ask @J4MES OX4D if he's getting it? I have memories of an impressive F1 YouTube vid you did a while back. Or is that the lsd playing tricks with my memory, again.

Ah well remembered😀 

I'm tempted to get the 2019 anniversary edition as it's only £25 on CD Keys.

On 6/28/2019 at 10:34 AM, J4MES OX4D said:

That is incredible. I had some earlier versions like you @Greboth and a later version on my Xbox 360 which I loved. I love the simulation of these games, unfortunately I have a tendency to want to play the full race, practice and some qualifying.

My sister-in-law's kid bought a wheel, gearstick and pedals for his birthday. He even bought a frame for it and in total it cost £280 he said. It looked super impressive when he was playing Forza on his Xbox One. I'm with you @phil bottle, if there's a way of getting one I'd love the ability to jump in to the seat, it clearly will make you a better driver if used regularly.

Would you say theres a difference between PC and PS4?

I can understand that @GazzaGarratt I decided against doing the full sessions.  Still going for half distance though so a decent number of laps to race.

The frames look good and I’d love one but I don’t have the room for one.  Still most wheels allow you to clamp them down to a desk which is what I do.  It isn’t perfect and I can’t place the pedals quite where I’d like.  However a wheel does add so much to racing games and it is easier to drive more consistently.  If you’re interested in racing games then I’d recommend a wheel to anyone.

I think the only difference between console and pc is graphical.  I haven’t really looked at the console as I wasn’t really paying much attention to the game but it does look lovely on pc.

I like racing games but whenever I've played "lap" racing games, I always find myself getting a little bored.

Much preferred the old games of Need for Speed & Juiced where you could street race, do up cars etc which gave the game more to do, rather than just racing round a track.

Maybe I'll still pick it up though... 😛 

On 7/3/2019 at 4:01 PM, Dan94 said:

I like racing games but whenever I've played "lap" racing games, I always find myself getting a little bored.

Much preferred the old games of Need for Speed & Juiced where you could street race, do up cars etc which gave the game more to do, rather than just racing round a track.

Maybe I'll still pick it up though... 😛 

You'd enjoy DIRT 4 you know. Sounds weird as you don't go against the cars on the point to point races but you kinda do. Really tests your skills racing and its not the same lap over and over.