Modded MC

Greboth

After the Ipswich weekend there was a few messages about MC and modded MC so thought we could have a thread on it.

I’ve been quite enjoying playing the FTB Beyond pack recently.  I played it some time ago but really didn’t explore a lot of the mods.  I’ve built up quite a technical base currently but I want to try out a lot of magic based mods which I ignored previously.

So does anyone else play modded? Can anyone recomend any specific mods or mod packs?

I also know there were a few questions about getting mods working so happy to post a quick multimc guide to get them working.

Guide to  playing modded using MultiMC as a launcher

Spoiler

47544318421_e8b559fb0c_o.jpg

1103954298_AmosSignature.png.04556f304072cd09783cc1fdfec8fe9f.png

What more does a man need than a few vegetables and a big hole :lol: 

There is probably some mods out there that you could enioy.  Though the technical ones probably not so much as they revolve around being able to automate everything.  So currently I have an automatic farmer farming wheat which some automatically gets cooked in to bread and some goes to a feeder which automatically breeds cows which are automatically killed the raw steaks automatically cooked.l then automatically put in my storage system  While a machine automatically mines with all ore automatically smelted and the ingots automatically put back in the storage system too.

It is great being able to crack on with building knowing your food and resources are still being collected :) 

trecapitator.  do not chop down the big tree.

"why?"

*chops down a big tree*

#####server has timed out#######

"ahhhhh.......   Ok boys, I never did this. right?"

20 hours ago, crispymorgan said:

I shall also buy a monkeybike......

Haha I had forgotten about that.

In the pack I’m playing now there is no treecapitator.  So you have cut them down normally until you make a special ace that does it or an automatic one.  I of course went for the automatic route so now have around 20,000 blocks of wood which I think will last me....maybe.

What’s got 2 thumbs and blew up his entire base with everything in it - this guy! :lol:  The only things to survive was what I had in my inventory but everything else has gone :(

This is just a random youtube video as I wasn’t recording but skip to 5:30 to see what happened to my base

Haha yup, I’d left my base chunk loaded so wasn’t that close else I would have died and lost my inventory too.  Thankfully I had most of my tinkers tools on me so mining and rebuilding the basics hasn’t taken too long.

I’ve got a couple solar panels built and a small reactor (which won’t explode like above) to generate my power.  So I’ve got a small storage system built up so thankfully don’t need chests cluttering up the place.  I’ve also got a single ore processor, I manually have to fill it and it’s one processor for all the ores rather than one per ore so it’s feeling rather slow but I’ll get to rebuilding the lot.  I just need to find more emeralds first which are proving hard to come by at the moment :(

I’m currently playing the FTB Beyond modpack.  It’s a kitchen sink mod pack so designed to all work together and includes a bit of everything from technical mods to magic mods.  I think all in all there 191 mods in the pack so quite a few to explore.  I’d love to set up a modded server with it but they can be quite temperamental and I have no experience of admining a server nevermind a modded one.

Well, that was a bit torturous until I worked out it needed 6+gb to install everything and run without lagging...I’m out tonight so I’ll  have a play tomorrow - anything in particular to try or watch out for?

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

You downloaded it - nice :D  Yeah it does take quite a bit of RAM to run, I thought it was suggested 4Gb but always good to give as much as posisble.

Watch out for Draconium reactors, they explode! :lol: To be honest though the whole Draconium evolution is late mid / end game so I wouldn't worry about that to begin with.

A few general tips to start with is when searching the crafting menu if you type @ and the start of the mod name you will get all of that mod.  So @Themral gives you all Thermal Expansion, @Tinkers will give you tinkers construct etc. Another general tip is make a sleeping bag.  You still need a bed to set your spawn as in vanilla but a sleeping bag allows you to sleep anywhere and won't reset your spawn should you die.  Very handy to have if you're out and about so you don't always need to go home to pass the night.  Finally, on the items on the right side of the screen that you can click on to craft with, if you left click it will tell you how to craft it, right click will tell recipes it is used in.

I'd say the first 2 mods that are worth getting in to is Aroma1997 Mining world - You go through a portal like a nether portal but it takes you to a flat mining world which you can dig up to your hearts content without ruining your normal world.  The second is Tinkers Construct - it takes a little resource gathering to build the smeltery but it comes with the benefit of early game albiet manual ore doubling.  The biggest advantage is the tools it allows you to build - picks, shovels, axes etc. that can be upgraded and modified.  The perks each material has when making the tool or in modifying it you will need to look up as there's too many to list here :)   I'd also say look in to setting up a refined storage system, it's my preferred storage system as it integrates a crafting grid and is easy to us, make things and see everything in one place.  Though know, a Refined storage system isn't cheap to make so you'll need a little mining under your belt first.

The refined storage system uses power though (mostly called RF in this mod pack) so before you can build it you'll need some of power generation.  How you generate power is up to you, there's a number of generators that run on coal, lava, food or other fuel sources through to solar panels, extreme reactors (which won't explode so no worries there) to nether star generators or Draconium reactors (which can explode!) etc.

After that though it is up to you, I think it's pretty clear I like the automation side of things so I go off down that route but there's no reason you have to so the choice is yours.

Any questions though just ask and I'll try to answer them as best I can :)

You should be able to just search JEI by bringing up your crafting menu and clicking the search bar at the bottom and searching for sleeping bag.  However I think the recipe is;

blank blank blank

carpet carpet blank

wool wool wool

On the subject of JEI it reminds me of another tip; if you click once you’ll just search the crafting menu.  If you double click it darken your inventory and highlight what you search for.  This also works when looking in chest or crates.

Yup, that’s the recipe.  I think you found the openblocks mod sleeping bag but this pack has a specific sleeping bag mod https://ftb.gamepedia.com/Sleeping_Bag_(mod)

No worries :) 

I’m trying not to tell you too much as I think it can make people play a certain way or stick to specific methods / mods rather than explore the different mods.  I’m certainly guilty of building up a basic base in the same way every time.  Though any questions or things you want to know I will tell you.

Does it? I always have a chest plate on and the sleeping bag on my hot bar and thought my armour level drops when I sleep.  It’s a but irrelevant though as long as you sleep at night most mobs won’t have time to spawn.

Aroma mining world...a word of warning

I went through and was pottling abount making a chest by the portal and BANG!!!! There was a large explosion, must’ve been a creeper, and my portal was blown to bits so I couldn’t get back except by dying and losing everything 

I respawned and the portal was ok on my side but still broken on the other side

Next time I’m on I’ll take enough kit for two portals and keep my gear well away from it!

BTW, if you make a bed, can you sleep on the mining world?

fa91d1c7-2525-4709-a13b-ae6fabba557e.jpg

Thanks to Capn_Underpants for the artwork

Yeah it’s the same as the nether in that respect.  Always a danger a ghast will blow up your nether portal.

Though that reminds me, there’s creepers in the nether with these mods.  They’re red rather than green and explode faster than normal creepers.  If you have armour on they’re easy to survive but have quite the knockback so can push you into lava if you’re close to the edge.