Anyone using Garmin Connect?

Docwagon

2 hours ago, Docwagon said:

Anyone using Garmin Connect with a Garmin smartwatch?  Just curious.  It'd be fun to do step challenges, etc. with known people vs 9 randoms.

Have one  going with some friends on the Apple Watch. Pretty funny to see how lazy they actually are 

2 hours ago, Docwagon said:

Nobody?  

Not sure how popular they are in the UK, Doc. I had a quick look when you posted it but theres quite a few of them on Amazon.

I have a cheap common Fitbit for £20 atm but I'd like to have a better one if theres more features. Which one fo you have?

This one:  https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/571520/pn/010-01769-11#

I primarily wanted the heart rate monitor and the GPS.  The smart watch features are more handy then I would have thought.  Especially for work, where I can read a text and send from a list of pre-programmed (and custom) responses without having to pull my phone out.  I can also leave my phone on silent and the watch vibration is much better at getting my attention then my phone's vibrate.  Since I wear armor at work, it's tough to notice the phone vibrating, and I don't like to have it set to ring.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/3445375189  is an example of the feedback you get.  There's also free training programs you can download.  I'm doing a 5k training program at the moment.

They're popular in south africa because everyone has android over there so they just work. When a new one is released everyone bitches about compatibility but Garmin always sort it within a couple of weeks.

One thing to be aware of is that inter-app compatibility is its weak spot. If you're using some thing like Myfitnesspal then make sure it works. 

Build quality is fantastic.

banlol.png

46 minutes ago, Diddums said:

One thing to be aware of is that inter-app compatibility is its weak spot. If you're using some thing like Myfitnesspal then make sure it works. 

It works.

On the topic of the 5k training program I'm doing, I did 37m 50s today, and that was with a 5 minute warm-up "slow jog".  Obviously not great, but not bad where I'm at.  I'm dropping the weight I put on after my last injury, which will of course help.  I was at 242 when I had to stop running, am at 254 now.  For reference, I was 215 when I could do 2 miles in 13 minutes.  I'm shooting for 210 or under before I start picking up much strength training again.  My knee is going to do a lot better if I can get my weight back down and I'm not as into picking up heavy things as I used to be.

I've wanted one since I started running.  Eventually I hope to afford a Garmin Forerunner 645.   In the UK, these watches are only really a thing for anyone into a fitness activity, although within the community they are very popular.  Most of my tracking comes from using the Strava app on my phone.

4 hours ago, Spacedeck said:

I've wanted one since I started running.  Eventually I hope to afford a Garmin Forerunner 645.   In the UK, these watches are only really a thing for anyone into a fitness activity, although within the community they are very popular.  Most of my tracking comes from using the Strava app on my phone.

I used runkeeper on my phone until I got the watch.

I bought mine used but LNIB from a local forum classified.  I don't know how much of a secondary market you have there, but perhaps ebay?

I've had a Garmin Forerunner 235 for a few years now.  It does everything I need and I'm happy with it.  Haven't used any of the app connections though.  One thing I'd point out is that the actual screen brightness is about 50% less than what you think it will be.  At least on mine, thats the way it is.  If you look at the pictures online they make it seem really bright with vivid colors, but in actuality the colors are extremely muted and basic.  The battery lasts forever though so it's worth the trade off for me.  I can also change out the bands easily which was one of my top requirements.

At quick glance, it seems even the newest Forerunner has about the same display quality as my 235.  Likely the same for their other watches too.  https://forums.garmin.com/forum/into-sports/running/forerunner-935-aa/1316799-935-vs-235-screen-brightness

You can now 1v1 someone with a watch? I'm getting one :lol:

In all seriousness, i've thought about getting something similar as i'd like to keep track of the amount i walk around during non-filming days. When i'm on a shoot i'm constantly on my feet but feel i should be on my feet more when i'm not on a shoot. I do have an i-phone though but really don't want to get an apple watch.

Is there any apps that can unify all of our running and fitness activity instead? I am interested in these watches now you brought them to my attention @Docwagon but I'm similar to @Spacedeck as the UK cost is quite substantial for someone who needs fitness every so often.

On 3/12/2019 at 4:27 PM, McNasty said:

I've had a Garmin Forerunner 235 for a few years now.  It does everything I need and I'm happy with it.  Haven't used any of the app connections though.  One thing I'd point out is that the actual screen brightness is about 50% less than what you think it will be.  At least on mine, thats the way it is.  If you look at the pictures online they make it seem really bright with vivid colors, but in actuality the colors are extremely muted and basic.  The battery lasts forever though so it's worth the trade off for me.  I can also change out the bands easily which was one of my top requirements.

At quick glance, it seems even the newest Forerunner has about the same display quality as my 235.  Likely the same for their other watches too.  https://forums.garmin.com/forum/into-sports/running/forerunner-935-aa/1316799-935-vs-235-screen-brightness

On mine you can adjust the brightness and the watch face itself.  I have a "pip boy" display on mine.  It brightens automatically if I tilt my wrist so that I'm looking at it so you can have it fairly bright without drastically changing battery life.

On 3/28/2019 at 9:16 PM, Docwagon said:

Man, found it for £150 over here on other websites. If I had that money yo burn I'd grab one for sure. They look really smart.

Old topic, but I now wear a Fenix 5X most of the time, a Vivoactive 4 replaced the Vivoactive 3 and is an occaisonal wear.  It's been immensely helpful in motivation and keeping activity levels up.  As embarrassing as it is to admit it, I got up to around 280 lbs as a detective.  I'm 216 now, which is still overweight for me but not obese.  I got down to 206 for a bit but my heart rate dropped to 44 and I had to back off and let my body reset.  Actually had to have a heart scan because doc was worried, but everything's fine now and I'm working my way back down with the goal of being under 200 and then maintaining 185-200, depending.

On 11/7/2020 at 5:43 AM, Docwagon said:

Old topic, but I now wear a Fenix 5X most of the time, a Vivoactive 4 replaced the Vivoactive 3 and is an occaisonal wear.  It's been immensely helpful in motivation and keeping activity levels up.  As embarrassing as it is to admit it, I got up to around 280 lbs as a detective.  I'm 216 now, which is still overweight for me but not obese.  I got down to 206 for a bit but my heart rate dropped to 44 and I had to back off and let my body reset.  Actually had to have a heart scan because doc was worried, but everything's fine now and I'm working my way back down with the goal of being under 200 and then maintaining 185-200, depending.

How do you find the watch helps you better in terms of weight loss instead of maybe an app with info? Or is it something you use combined with the software that is connected to it?

On 11/8/2020 at 8:51 AM, GazzaGarratt said:

How do you find the watch helps you better in terms of weight loss instead of maybe an app with info? Or is it something you use combined with the software that is connected to it?

The watch gathers more info then an app.  Average pulse rate over a run, for example, so you can see your fitness improving.  Set a workout schedule and it reminds you it's the day to do X.  Step tracking and "go move" reminders.  Basically it helped me with both motivation and by showing concrete gains even if the scale didn't move that week.

On 11/10/2020 at 1:14 PM, Docwagon said:

"go move" reminders.

Thats probably worth it alone. I'm like @techno  as it doesn't come second nature to wear a watch but if it meant i'd stop becoming a fat bastard then I could be swayed. I just don't why they have to super expensive still. I really did think they create a value range lower than £100 just with less features but will interact with your phone.

On 11/20/2020 at 1:44 PM, GazzaGarratt said:

Thats probably worth it alone. I'm like @techno  as it doesn't come second nature to wear a watch but if it meant i'd stop becoming a fat bastard then I could be swayed. I just don't why they have to super expensive still. I really did think they create a value range lower than £100 just with less features but will interact with your phone.

Vivoactive 3 has move reminders and is a pretty solid smart watch and is right at that price point, at least in the US and then converted to your currency.  That's the one I used for a long time, and I bought it used.  I now have a Fenix for hiking (it's got topo maps and what not that's great for hiking but not something you'd need just as a fitness watch) and the updated Vivoactive 4.  The 4 adds a few things, does weight lifting tracking better, but isn't fundamentally that different then the 3.  The 4's biggest advantage is the button layout and the animated workouts/breathing exercises.  As fara as the 3,  Best Buy has it for the equivalent of just under, and you can get a refurb even cheaper, such as:  

$_62.JPG?set_id=8800005007
WWW.EBAY.COM

Find great deals for Garmin Vivoactive 3 Black w/ Stainless | 010-01769-01 | AUTHORIZED GARMIN DEALER. Shop with confidence on...

On 11/8/2020 at 8:51 AM, GazzaGarratt said:

I don't know if you ever decided to jump on this or not, but another reason the Garmin helps motivate me is watching improvements.  Run times decreasing, VO2 max increasing, etc.  I've set two new personal bests this month.  Today:

28:30 5k today in a light snow. Previous best was 28:56 last July.
Heart rate data shows 154 bpm average today, vs 173 bpm last July, so a touch faster but at a much lower effort level.

Similarly, on the 19th I set a new personal best for 10k at 59:27.  That's 5:06 minutes faster then I was at the end of 2019.

7 hours ago, Docwagon said:

I don't know if you ever decided to jump on this or not, but another reason the Garmin helps motivate me is watching improvements.  Run times decreasing, VO2 max increasing, etc.  I've set two new personal bests this month.  Today:

28:30 5k today in a light snow. Previous best was 28:56 last July.
Heart rate data shows 154 bpm average today, vs 173 bpm last July, so a touch faster but at a much lower effort level.

Similarly, on the 19th I set a new personal best for 10k at 59:27.  That's 5:06 minutes faster then I was at the end of 2019.

Those stats are very cool! My Fitbit just died... literally the day after the Google acquisition of Fitbit. Not that I actually use the Friends feature on Fitbit, but it is sort of what keeps me on it. Plus, it easily syncs with GoogleFit.

I wonder if the newest Fitbits do the same as what your Garmin does. The VO2 max stat interests me the most.

Would love to do Step challenges with the people here lol.