Assassin's Creed Odyssey

I'm not sure if they just copy AC Origins that it will be well received. I remember how Far Cry 3 to Far Cry 4 should've been just as good but it suffered from the 'its good, but needs something more' syndrome.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

1 hour ago, GazzaGarratt said:

I'm not sure if they just copy AC Origins that it will be well received. I remember how Far Cry 3 to Far Cry 4 should've been just as good but it suffered from the 'its good, but needs something more' syndrome.

They seem to be pinning the main selling points that you can be either a male or female character and it offers dialogue choice like a traditional RPG. The developers think this would be groundbreaking for the series and gaming but for me it's just adding more water to a puddle. 

On 11/28/2020 at 5:17 PM, Docwagon said:

Old thread, but I just picked this up yesterday on the Steam sale.  You can get the game with all DLC and a remastered copy of AC III for under $30.

So far, I'm enjoying the story and the game play mechanics.  I haven't played AC since III, and I never finished it.

Funnily enough, Sam @Capn_Underpants  has been playing it a lot of late after speaking about how the AC series has been pretty good lately. Its apparently huge and very different to previous games. It may give you the bug for Valhalla as it seems to be following on the improvements they made in this.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

On 11/30/2020 at 9:44 AM, GazzaGarratt said:

Funnily enough, Sam @Capn_Underpants  has been playing it a lot of late after speaking about how the AC series has been pretty good lately. Its apparently huge and very different to previous games. It may give you the bug for Valhalla as it seems to be following on the improvements they made in this.

I've finished the "main" questline at about 60 hours in and there's plenty more content to do, including tracking down the remaining cultists, discovering who the head of the cult is, etc.  I want to continue to play because I want to see the story completed.  It's a pretty well written game, character and story wise, minor quibbles aside.

9 hours ago, Capn_Underpants said:

I clocked over 110 hours. Got the platinum for it. Well worth :3

Did you do a 'new game +" and if so, is there any reason to other then just play through it with all the cool gear?  I guess I'm going to do the Atlantis thing soon.  I have finished up all the Cult at this point.

I finished up Atlantis last night.  It was a pretty big expansion, probably added 30 hours to my play time.

One thing I don't like about the game is the enemy scaling.  It actually makes the game harder as you level up past a certain point as there's no equipment that keeps up with the leveling of your character and NPCs.  You get new abilities, combat can become ridiculously easy with some of the new skills, but stealth becomes progressively harder as you can't assassinate as many NPCs and the "knock out" doesn't scale up as well as fatal assassinations.

I won't say why for spoiler reasons, but I tried to be very low death rate in my infiltrations in Atlantis so I wanted to use knock out more.  It was challenging, which was fine.  You could just cheese most infiltrations with a specific armor set that lets you use your Shadow of Nyx ability for free and basically stay invisible but I didn't want to do that.

All in all, I liked the game.  Don't look too deep into the morality and hypocrisy of some of the decisions you're forced into and the story is pretty good.  The characters are interesting.  I'd say it's sort of a combination of the old AC games and Witcher 3.  If you liked both of those, you'll probably like this one.