CRT TV vs LCD/LED

IRaMPaGe

For retro gaming in particular, the CRT just looks better. Thoughts? 

CRT-vs-LCD.jpg
WACKOID.COM

Some retro gamers swear by playing video games on an old-school TV. See these 10...

I think the key thing is that older games being designed for CRTs made the most of them. Upscaling those images as is shown in that article often makes things look more blocky (and often just bad). 

Pro gamers have been moving back to CRTs too due to the lack of input lag (though im sure i wouldnt be able to tell)

If I had the space, I'd grab one. However, my Upscaler isn't as bad as the guy in the video above says. I think what helps is I have a reasonably old flatscreen TV that still RF and AV inputs if I wanted to go directly into it like that. The Upscaler is definitely needed for certain colours, usually the lighter ones so it maintains the clarity. I always think start out buying the cheapest, most affordable to you and work upwards if its not acceptable to your standards. I'm fine with what I have on an LCD TV, and only by paying £20-40 on an Upscaler and a few new wires.

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

I always found CRT to be the best display choice for retro console gaming.  The newer TVs now a days really show off the flaws of sprite based graphics.  I do like how some classic game compilations give the option to use an old school CRT type scaling. 

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*