Live A Live

This one has just released on July 22nd for the Switch and it's giving me some old school, classic SNES ROG vibes.  This is a remake/rerelease of a title that never made it's debut over here.  If anyone grabs it, please let us know what you think about the game.  I'm very curious about it.

*The opinions of Riff Machine do not reflect those of Forever Gaming ;)*

This looks great! Does anyone know what the UI looks like? It seems to be ATB which I love but couldn't see if thats the case, surely its turn based though based on those battle scenarios? I don't mind a remake if its never had a Western release. Its already at 6 in the UK charts for its first week out in the wild.

I've heard comparisons to Chrono Trigger but I believe there is a bit of some tactical RPG systems, like a grid, in there too.  I may end up grabbing it.

I picked this up the other day.  I've started a game, beginning with the pre-historic era, and it's definetly giving the Octopath Traveler vibe.  The backgrounds look really good and blend in well with the sprite animations.  I'm digging this character so far.  There's no conversations.  Only pre-historic caveman grunts and groans with some word bubbles depicting pictures of what the NPCs are trying to convey.  

I'll keep updating as a get further in.

ok, I'm a fair bit into the pre-history section so here's a few of my thoughts so far...

I'm really digging the combat in this.  It takes the ATB (Active Time Battle) system and adds the strategic element of a grid based system.  As battle begins, you can move one square in any direction you wish.  As you move a space, all time bars (which is called a Charge Gauge) for both player characters and enemies slowly fills.  If you haven't made it to an enemy in time to act, there's a very good chance they will before you can.  It really adds a but of forethought into movement.

Some skills have a specific area they will affect.  The one skill my character has currently, as an example, is a jump attack that requires you to position yourself further away from the enemy in order to hit.  Others encompass a huge amount of the battle ground that can hit multiple enemies, but be warned.  Some skills leave an area of effect on the ground that can damage your other characters if they are currently occupying those areas.

As far as I can tell, there doesn't seem to be any random encounters thus far.  The main character in the pre-history section can "sniff" the air to "catch the scent" of creatures or items scattered around the area.  These seem to be limited but you can refresh the area by going in and out of other locations.

So far, so good.

I have this too 🙂 

Completed the prehistoric chapter last night, it was shorter than I thought it would be and while you can figure out what is going on it probably worked far more of my brain than I would have liked it to!

Gameplay is great and it looks really good too!

14 hours ago, Luseth said:

I have this too 🙂 

Completed the prehistoric chapter last night, it was shorter than I thought it would be and while you can figure out what is going on it probably worked far more of my brain than I would have liked it to!

Gameplay is great and it looks really good too!

I just finished it tonight.  There was one really broken item I got from a unique boss fight called cola bottle.  It's an accessory that you can use infinitely as an item that does guaranteed 999 damage to anything you attack it with.  Broken as hell.  The pre-history chapter was really fun.  It closed up nicely.  I was a little shocked at the length to.  I managed to finish it at around 7 hours.

On to Imperial China where an old martial arts master is seeking a protege to carry on his fighting style.  The voice acting is really well done too, as well as the ancient Chinese themed music.  Good ole 16 bit soundtracks are just fucking awesome

Just completed the Imperial China chapter.  Really good story.  An old kung fu Master seeking disciples to carry on his art, travelling to various villages to find some, and subsequently training them, though you should only focus on training one.  I really enjoyed this one.  It probably had one of the best final boss sequence I've played in an RPG of this style.

I finished that one as well @Riff Machine , so I am 3 chapters down now (I have done the Japanese one as well), and whilst I am enjoying them I just feel like it is missing something to link all of the stories together at the moment. 

It is nice playing short stories as it means I am completing them which is something that typically take's forever with such limited time as a dad!

The voice acting is quite good and I must admit, with it being the first proper 2d-hd game I have sunk my teeth into it has really won me round (and it looks great on the OLED screen)

I’m currently playing the Japan chapter.  Very sneaky.  

Finished the  Ancient Japan chapter the other day, and I'm moving on to the old west.  

Finished up the old west scenario this morning.  That was a fun chapter.  You begin play as an "outlaw" being confronted by a bounty hunter.  After evading, you come upon a small town that you eventually have to help defend against a group of outlaws terrorizing the area.  You spend the fair majority of the chapter finding resources to use for traps before the final encounter to help reduce the number of enemies in said battle.  That was a fun one to be sure.

Onto to the Present Day chapter.

Right, loved seeing these updates and reading them from both @Riff Machine  and @Luseth . I'm ordering this on Amazon as I can take it away on my holiday and hopefully grab a few hours on it whilst i'm away!!

And on that note, I've completed the Present day Chapter.  This was a fun one.  You don't gain levels in the conventional way.  The chapter reminded me of a fighting game, where you select the boss you want to fight.  Once in battle, each opponent has certain moves that your character can learn once the boss uses them on you.  Sometimes, you have to bait the boss to do them by using certain moves at specific spots on the battlefield.  Once learned, the moves are added to your arsenal and you can proceed to fuck up the boss.  One piece of advise, you can only heal by using the move "Focus" so make sure you move away and heal up when needed as your HP does not increase at all during the chapter.

Really awesome chapter.  Even some of the music reminded me of something I heard in Street Fighter 2.

Next up, the Near Future Chapter.

Finished the near future chapter finally.  It felt like an old Japanese anime with psychic powers and a big ass robot to pilot.  Pretty neat chapter.  Now, on to the last one.   The Future.