Mega drive lovin

Luseth

Seem's there are a few of us with a fondness for the megadrive in here so thought I would get some chat going (I'm hopefully going to pick one up later, I think the retro chats with you guy's has given me a kick up the arse to finally replace my broken one 😄 )

I'm sat watching some gameplay of Mickey Mouse's castle of illusion, this was the only game I owned in another language (Japanese for some reason) so for the most part I didn't have an idea what was going on but it was a platformer so easy enough to play ^_^ On the video I'm watching currently it looks like it holds up fairly well as far as visuals and the such goes.

So any other fond megadrive memories?

World of Illusion > Castle of Illusion. The story that could be played co-op was literally one of my all time top games of the Mega Drive. How they made Mickey and Donald work together in certain parts was really ahead of the times. Each level is incredibly made too. Never gets old completing this game.

Premier Manager (the original one) was super. I used to play as Cambridge United iirc. So hard to get up the leagues, especially with such pants budgets!

The other one that got me into racing games early doors was Virtua Racing. The cartridge is unusually large compared to the others due to 'brand new 3d graphic models' it brought from the arcade machines to home consoles. Grabbed this from Wiki: "Due to the complexity of the Model 1 board, a home console version seemed unlikely, until 1994 when a cartridge design incorporating the Sega Virtua Processor (SVP) on an extra chip was created to enable a version on the Genesis/Mega Drive. This chip was extremely expensive to manufacture, leading Sega to price the Genesis version of Virtua Racing unusually high: US$100 in the United States[13] and £70 in the United Kingdom."

There were lot's of fantastic games, some iconic ones I remember owning and playing were:

Sonic

Streets Of Rage (2 in particular) 

Tazmania 

Toe Jam & Earl

Dick Tracy 

Michael Jacksons Moonwalker 

Home Alone

Shinobi

Micro Machines 

Altered Beast

Golden Axe

Fifas 

Splatterhouse 

There were loads more I played and some more that I owned, but these ones just stick out for being legendary or just totally fun. 

Desert Strike and Jungle Strike

NBA Jam

Aladdin

Ghouls n ghosts

Interesting factoid about megadrive games by EA (with the yellow tab).  EA originally reverse engineered the genesis because SEGA wanted much stricter controls on who they would allow to make games.  Seeing they had a work around made SEGA buckle and grant them permission.

20 hours ago, crispymorgan said:

I shall also buy a monkeybike......

4 minutes ago, crispymorgan said:

Desert Strike and Jungle Strike

NBA Jam

Aladdin

Ghouls n ghosts

Interesting factoid about megadrive games by EA (with the yellow tab).  EA originally reverse engineered the genesis because SEGA wanted much stricter controls on who they would allow to make games.  Seeing they had a work around made SEGA buckle and grant them permission.

Oh damn I forgot about Desert and Jungle Strike, even the 3rd one Urban Strike. I think because I never owned them, but I played and swapped them with a mate and they were sooooo good! 

Aladdin was superb as well. 

Back to the future was impossible, could barely get past the 2nd level. Remember staying at a friends and we struggled with it for the best part of a night. 

On 7/7/2022 at 7:41 PM, crispymorgan said:

Didn't know that, that is interesting!

On 7/8/2022 at 10:32 AM, phil bottle said:

I'm only here for Desert Strike as SNES>MegaDiv 🤗

I like both machines😘

Tbh, its probably time past that allows us to be so nice and forthcoming of both consoles but I do really think they both complimented each other. Whilst at the time they hated each other in the market and were allowed to make jibes at each other (looking at the initial Sega's adverts 😅), now I just look back and would advise anyone to get both because switching between the two at times is such a joy to have the option. Unique games developed either side, alongside the game controllers, makes it worthwhile. 

On 7/7/2022 at 2:57 PM, GazzaGarratt said:

World of Illusion > Castle of Illusion. The story that could be played co-op was literally one of my all time top games of the Mega Drive. How they made Mickey and Donald work together in certain parts was really ahead of the times. Each level is incredibly made too. Never gets old completing this game.

Premier Manager (the original one) was super. I used to play as Cambridge United iirc. So hard to get up the leagues, especially with such pants budgets!

The other one that got me into racing games early doors was Virtua Racing. The cartridge is unusually large compared to the others due to 'brand new 3d graphic models' it brought from the arcade machines to home consoles. Grabbed this from Wiki: "Due to the complexity of the Model 1 board, a home console version seemed unlikely, until 1994 when a cartridge design incorporating the Sega Virtua Processor (SVP) on an extra chip was created to enable a version on the Genesis/Mega Drive. This chip was extremely expensive to manufacture, leading Sega to price the Genesis version of Virtua Racing unusually high: US$100 in the United States[13] and £70 in the United Kingdom."

I really liked Mickey Mania, did you ever play that one Lee? 

The first level was Steamboat Willie 

21 hours ago, IRaMPaGe said:

I really liked Mickey Mania, did you ever play that one Lee? 

The first level was Steamboat Willie 

No I haven't tbh! I'm looking to get some of the Mickey Mouse games in chronological order at some point. I really need to get back into Kingdom Hearts too.

19 hours ago, IRaMPaGe said:

My little brother used to own one of these Badboys for the Mega drive back in the day. 

The Mega Drive Power Arcade Joystick. This thing was a beast! 

s-l400.jpg

Ooooh, yeah. I think I had a third party one in my loft that's similar to this one. I also had third party controllers alongside the normal ones, mainly for the beat em up ones. They had extra settings you could program slow or continually would be on if pressed! Suffice to say though, i never wanted to use them as it felt scummy to do so! Pic below:

WhatsApp Image 2022-07-12 at 1.10.00 PM.jpeg

6 hours ago, Sir.Arthur said:

I grew up playing and adoring the MD,I really have good memories of these games : Gaiares, Vampire Killer,Gunstar Heroes, Shinobi and Sonic series.

I had Revenge of Shinobi, at the age I was owning a mega drive I never got very far! I do still have the game at home somewhere though (unfortunately unboxed). Sonic was one of my go to games when I was younger, it was bright and colourful and happy (despite the fact some meglamaniac was stealing all the little animals!)