Your favourite retro console?

Luseth

I'm trying not to go too hard too quick on the retro section so a new thread a week or something 😄

So this week I'm going with, what is your favourite retro console? The console you have fond memories of and why?

So there are 2 for me for different reasons -

The main one is the mega drive, the first console my parents got for me and one that I used to even play with my dad despite him not being into video games (we used to play a lot of fifa 96). I don't currently have one (I have some little boxed thing my mom got me a couple of years back that let's me play the games but it's a bit crap!)

The second is the PS1, I played this a lot as my escape from school (I was bullied a bit back then) and the Final Fantasy franchise became a huge escape for me (sadly the series won't be returning to what made it so great I don't think!). I actually have 2 PS1's now though they don't come out often with one being in a rather tatty looking box that I picked up from a car boot years back, though if either of them work these day's is anyone's guess! Typically the PS2 get's used as it can play both.

I would totally agree with yours. 

Although I had an original Nintendo before the mega drive I played the mega drive for a lot longer and really enjoyed those cartridges and with more friends. 

The PlayStation 1 tho wins for me with the sheer amount of time spent and quality games. At the time the graphics were unreal and the selection of games available. 

My favourite would have to be my ps1, it was my first console and what started my love of gaming. I remember spending hours playing Abes Exodus, which must have been a big game at the time as it took 2 discs lol, and playing the first fifa games and the original Grand Theft Auto with the over the top view of the city. I had so many games and would get the PS magazines too just for the demo discs 😂 

N64 I'd say because it had some games that were really ahead of their time back then - Mario 64 for one back in 96 which was a huge leap and then there was GoldenEye, Ocarina of Time and Perfect Dark. Games weren't cheap though at mostly £50-65 but you really got your money's worth out of each one.  Biggest disappointment was the lack of a decent realistic racing game especially with the PS1 having Gran Turismo plus that console had an extensive library and cheaper games. I probably got about 75 on there in total and a massive variety of titles. I still think the PS1 offered much more but the 64 just had that additional top tier quality on some (not all) games. 

My top 5 thinking quickly about it:

1. Mega Drive
  2. SNES
  3. Xbox
  4. Gamecube
  5. PS1

Mega Drive was my first console, and my love for Sega over Nintendo will forever stand (FU Mario!). The games on that were incredible, however what probably helped was I could still try out the SNES when I was 10 upwards because @Findmartin  had the SNES so we'd alternate games. Funny thing is SNES seemed to have better co-op games to play together until the PS1. The only real huge shift in games for me came with the original Xbox. Xbox Live changed my life and games overnight and if it wasn't for how i grew up with the Mega Drive, I think my Xbox would win hands down. Its probably why I got big into online gaming and multiplayer games way more in general.

@J4MES OX4D  I missed the N64, probably because my lack of love for Nintendo. Although, when I was old enough I got a GameCube and it honestly was incredible how unique their games were. I imagine N64 was the same, especially with the likes of Goldeneye? Racing wise, Gran Turismo was just the best although I played TOCA 1 and 2 alongside V-Rally 1, 2 and 3 way more because of the Championship co-op ability they had.

My favourite console was probably the 3DO.  I never actually owned one, but my mates did, and I spent a LOOONG time playing need for speed on it.  Good times.

20 hours ago, crispymorgan said:

I shall also buy a monkeybike......

I hear a bunch of ZX Spectrum games have been released on Steam.

In my junior school half the class had Spectrums, the other half had C64s. One poor lad had a BBC micro computer which only had Elite to play.

I've not played a bad console so hard to say, they all have great memories, C64, SNES, N64, PS1, PS2, GameCube.

When it becomes retro though, the Xbox 360 rules them all, without a shadow of a doubt👍

jeffersonclasswar.jpg

PS2 was another close contender for me by virtue of the amount of time I spent on it but my top games list somewhat lacks variety....🤣

1. Metal Gear Solid 2

2. Grand Theft Auto Vice City

3. Grand Theft Auto San Andreas

4. Grand Theft Auto III

5. Metal Gear Solid 3

6. Pro Evo Soccer 4

7. Pro Evo Soccer 3

8. Pro Evo Soccer 

9. Tony Haws Pro Skater 3

I don't even think I can name a tenth although I did have a few other titles. I played the absolute shit out of the ones I did get and Pro Evo 5 and 6 would've been on there had I not grabbed them on PC instead. 

12 hours ago, phil bottle said:

I hear a bunch of ZX Spectrum games have been released on Steam.

In my junior school half the class had Spectrums, the other half had C64s. One poor lad had a BBC micro computer which only had Elite to play.

I've not played a bad console so hard to say, they all have great memories, C64, SNES, N64, PS1, PS2, GameCube.

When it becomes retro though, the Xbox 360 rules them all, without a shadow of a doubt👍

XBOX 360 isn't retro yet.  Fight me.

20 hours ago, crispymorgan said:

I shall also buy a monkeybike......

On 7/8/2022 at 12:22 PM, J4MES OX4D said:

PS2 was another close contender for me by virtue of the amount of time I spent on it but my top games list somewhat lacks variety....🤣

1. Metal Gear Solid 2

2. Grand Theft Auto Vice City

3. Grand Theft Auto San Andreas

4. Grand Theft Auto III

5. Metal Gear Solid 3

6. Pro Evo Soccer 4

7. Pro Evo Soccer 3

8. Pro Evo Soccer 

9. Tony Haws Pro Skater 3

I don't even think I can name a tenth although I did have a few other titles. I played the absolute shit out of the ones I did get and Pro Evo 5 and 6 would've been on there had I not grabbed them on PC instead. 

Funny thing on this is I'm with you, although it had massive variety. The challenge was that when they came out, for many of us all we were interested in was playing footy games, shooting stuff in COD or racing around on GTA. They churned games out back then so quickly too, huge library of games to pick from. PES > FIFA in those years too! 😅

On 7/8/2022 at 11:12 PM, crispymorgan said:

XBOX 360 isn't retro yet.  Fight me.

And I'd say the rule of thumb I tend to use is if they've stopped producing games for the console, it can be considered retro in my eyes 😎 The last game produced was back in 2019 for it....and don't include the digital gamepass games, my dude 😄