Show us your recent retro purchases!

GazzaGarratt

Let's get a brand new thread up where we share what you either buy or even just find from a retro point of view. I'll go first!

After Matt's @Luseth recent annoyance of reminding me i've been neglecting my older video games for a while, I had a think what i'd like to get hold of and managed to get the following:

Retro Games1.jpeg

I've always loved the film Universal Soldier, so I had to grab a version of the Mega Drive game to check it out. I used to play a lot of a chipped version of Everybody's Golf - it has the best crazy golf multiplayer game on it so looking forward to having a few local matches with wehoever I can get round!

I'm also wanting to complete a few more Mega Drive games so Indiana Jones seemed a perfect one given it has 5 levels within the whole game. Again, another game born off the films I used to love.

What's everyone else been finding?

1738681878_Justinedinburghmemories.thumb

So my current focus is gameboy related as i am a bit skint atm so looking out for cheaper games that i want in my collection (hoping for a big splurge on retro stuff when my wife returns to work in january).

My last purchase was this -

36B3A43B-D5C9-475A-B60F-EDC4E7260A62.thumb.jpeg.c4ba17ebcd8737a7b1b8e59cbe31b0f4.jpeg

The gbc version is more of a traditional rpg in the mould that I quite enjoy and this cost me less than a fiver (i have just put a bid on chamber of secrets gbc on ebay as well). The games went in a different route once they hit the gba

Retro Games2.jpeg

Picked up a few SNES games last week. Final Fight is an absolute must. Was kind of a lesser game to Streets of Rage but it was still great to play. Always wanted to get into The Lost Vikings too.

And any old golf game is a steal. 😎

A Nintendo DS is defo retro - they're 18 years old now!! I notice thats one of the very few crossovers Pokemon did so should be a good one I hope.

Command & Conquer is one of those games I wish they would resurrect. Played many a game of that linked up with two PS1s. Retaliation is the one that we played. Ridiclous amount of fun, especially with Tesla Towers 😎 Great finds mate.

2 hours ago, GazzaGarratt said:

A Nintendo DS is defo retro - they're 18 years old now!! I notice thats one of the very few crossovers Pokemon did so should be a good one I hope.

Command & Conquer is one of those games I wish they would resurrect. Played many a game of that linked up with two PS1s. Retaliation is the one that we played. Ridiclous amount of fun, especially with Tesla Towers 😎 Great finds mate.

My younger brother and I used to do that with Retaliation. Two PS1s linked up, was hours of fun. 

Mammoth tanks OP. 

I loved the V2 Rocket Tanks as well and the Tesla towers of course. 

Sometimes we would have a 20 minute buildup No Attacking. Then it would be chaos. 

We used to throw in a few Ai as well sometimes, but it was always obvious who the Ai was by the way they built and what they built. They played a certain way, was always a dead giveaway. 

We wouldn't tell each other which colour we were at the start and turn the tvs the other way so we couldn't see. 

On 7/8/2022 at 7:28 PM, IRaMPaGe said:

My younger brother and I used to do that with Retaliation. Two PS1s linked up, was hours of fun. 

Mammoth tanks OP. 

I loved the V2 Rocket Tanks as well and the Tesla towers of course. 

Sometimes we would have a 20 minute buildup No Attacking. Then it would be chaos. 

We used to throw in a few Ai as well sometimes, but it was always obvious who the Ai was by the way they built and what they built. They played a certain way, was always a dead giveaway. 

We wouldn't tell each other which colour we were at the start and turn the tvs the other way so we couldn't see. 

EXACTLY THIS!!!

Although I won't lie, beating the CPU other 2 teams were a nightmare so what would happen was after 30-45 mins, @Findmartin  and I would just ally up and then make a huge army to take them both on 😎

I feel like this would be amazing at a meet up for us all. In fact, I should find a way to build a shed at mine just for this. Amazing memories.

Retro Games3.jpeg

I played Street Racer once around a random mate I had back in Secondary school. Underrated I must say, especially when you could play a Mario Kart football gamemode. Track and Field is absolute iconic. I had a chipped version of a PS1 so my Dad would just grab this game from my Uncle who would do it as and when. I lost my disc for this but managed to find it online for £3.09. Absolute steal. Already tried to do Weightlifting and then Rowing. I always felt like i'd do well until someone looked at me and made me laugh cos i was likely pulling a ridiculous face concentrating and smashing the buttons as fast as I could 🥴🤣

So I have just won on ebay a new tv that I think deserves a home on here 😄 

My aim is to have a gaming space again in my garage (we want to convert it at some point) and I would like to have a bit of a retro space, I put in an offer on the below which was accepted but here ya go -

IMG_3437.thumb.PNG.6c99aeb6d0e2e7ae26d80d327aab39aa.PNG

I think I just need a purple N64 to go with it (image 2 in the next post)

I think I need some suggestions 😄 

I am getting a little £45 from work back in expenses from last month that I forgot about and as it's not in my budget for this month I reckon I can justify picking up a new game or 2 so recommendations please 😄

N64, SNES, Any PS or gameboy console 🙂

I'm building out my collection atm to my wife's dismay, I only have 1 cupboard in the house to fill though so will be sorting it and kitting it out with decent shelving this month at some point so I can fit more in 😄 

1 hour ago, Luseth said:

I think I need some suggestions 😄 

I am getting a little £45 from work back in expenses from last month that I forgot about and as it's not in my budget for this month I reckon I can justify picking up a new game or 2 so recommendations please 😄

N64, SNES, Any PS or gameboy console 🙂

I'm building out my collection atm to my wife's dismay, I only have 1 cupboard in the house to fill though so will be sorting it and kitting it out with decent shelving this month at some point so I can fit more in 😄 

How about Turok or Carmageddon 64 for the N64? 

@Luseth  I never played much Snes or game boy.

Have you ever played Tenchu on the PS1? Absolutely excellent Samurai stealth type game. 👌

Syphon Filter is a good game as well. 

Soul Reaver is superb for a PS1 game. 👍

Maybe some Earthworm Jim on whatever console you can get him. 

Really depends what type of games your after. 

If I were you. I would see what you can get for a reasonable price. Try get a few bargains. 

Donkey Kong Country 2 is an incredible game to play on the SNES. I've always wanted to get Castlevania myself which should be around £25/30.

I'm not very good with N64 purchases as I never played it as a kid. I know Banjo-Kazooie is good though.

PlayStation wise, I'd try and find a cheap bundle of a few random games somewhere. Get a Premier Manager game you haven't tried perhaps. Do you play other sports games? Ooo, Command & Conquer games! They're legendary and have multiple campaign missions.

34 minutes ago, Luseth said:

Thanks guys, there are some good suggestions there that I will check prices of. Only genre I don’t really play is racing. Do you guys get fussy over boxed vs unboxed? (Seems to be something I am less bothered by these days)

It depends how fussy you are on collecting. It's like toys, if your just wanting to play the crap out of it who cares? 

If your wanting to display and go full on with it, then the box is do or die. 

5 minutes ago, IRaMPaGe said:

It depends how fussy you are on collecting. It's like toys, if your just wanting to play the crap out of it who cares? 

If your wanting to display and go full on with it, then the box is do or die. 

There's those in between who somewhat care but not enough to be a collector.  Toys boxes are designed to be binned once opened mostly, games cases tend to feel nice to look at and feel in your hands.  Something about buying unboxed games doesn't feel right with me but I don't go looking for pristine condition.  Especially newer consoles which are disc based, I don't like buying loose discs.  if I couldn't find an affordable game with box, I'd obviously settle without a box/case.

Depends on the game, which also reflects the importance of the console to myself. Example:

SNES = Cart Only

N64 = Cart Only

PS1 = CD and Case. Manual if possible but not the biggest concern.

Megadrive = Cart, Manual and Case is always the go to for me.

Neo Geo Pocket = Always Complete, may slightly compromise if most parts are there.

I think that kind of reflects the packaging of the times. SNES and N64 were just crappy cardboard boxes, so they were and always are susceptible to breaking and disintegrating. MegaDrive cases are the thing of beauty.

Recent purchase: I am going to get every Pokémon Game again. The carts are pretty expensive for legit copies, roughly USD 60 to USD 150 based on the game. (The Gameboy is a replica, because It's wild to find a legit one for under 200)

Currently I have Yellow, Red and Blue.

https://vimeo.com/733332628

i7 7700k, 16GB RAM, GEFORCE 1080, 240GB SSHD, 2TB SSD

Last few months of purchases for me. Neo Turf Masters is actually superb on Neo Geo Pocket Color with even a save function where you are on the course. I'm excited to play my very first Megaman experience too, likely to try it out in September after I can get past the holiday season. Oh, and I never EVER realised that the PES football game we played as kids and actual MANAGEMENT game?!?! Yep, i'm sad cos i know i'll end up loving it 😄

image.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2022-08-14 at 2.20.31 PM.jpeg

image.jpeg